Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2007

dorourke is on a distinguished road
OK, i said I would get back to you all. This is it.

On Sunday I asked a friend and his wife to sail with us to an island five miles to the north of us for brunch, bassically a beer and a burger. They jumped at the chance. This couple are seasoned sailors and have loged many hours of sailing in their twenty or so years of sailing. The trip took us out of the bay and into open water. We motored out past the point until we got to the free air, it was blowing fifteen knots steadaly from the north, north east. We sailed in a very compfortable close reach and the water was still very flat. Got to the dock, had our brunch as well as the best time we had in a long time.

After a couple of hours of enjoying the Island festivities we decided to return home cause' we all had to work tomorrow, you know how that goes. The wind was now up to twenty five knots and directly from the east. the waves were now building, two to four feet and pushing against the land, I think we had a few six footers although us guys down played the wave height as not to alarm the others.

A good time wad had for all. So we got a little wet, we dried out pretty quick. My wife told me she had a very good time and showed a confidance in me I never knew she had. I sailed the boat to the island and back with very little help from the others, she was pleased! I think the other couple had given us both a sence if security knowing that if anyone or anything wes not right they would have stepped up and corrected any problem that might have bean aparent. Next weekend if the weather is good, were going up there again, by ourselves this time. Thanks to all the women's points if view, also thanks to the others who gave advise well worth following. I now have the books mentioned on "her sailnet" and finding out, it's not just my world!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sounds like a good day...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-24-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
dorourke, sounds like y'all had a very good day .

Nonetheless, from your prior comments, I remain convinced you both would benefit from classes. On her part: Confidence in herself and the boat. On your part: Confidence in her ability. For her part, in particular: As long as she understands neither the boat nor how to command it, she's trusting to "magic." She'll never feel truly comfortable, even if you're the one working the "magic," and no matter how many times you avoid disaster. She may grow less uncomfortable, but that's not the same thing.

My wife was unsure of our ability to bring a boat up from where it is to where it needs to go, even in ideal weather. I was unconcerned. We took those classes and now she's confident. Furthermore: While I knew she had more sailing experience than I, I was mildly concerned over her ability to handle a modern keel boat. Now I've seen her do it. Now I not only "know" she can do it, I know she can do it--because I've seen her do it w/my own two eyes . (In fact: She's much better than I at getting it into the slip w/o abusing the rub rails than I. Which works out well, cuz I'm probably a bit more nimble on the deck and w/the lines.)

Jim

Last edited by SEMIJim; 07-24-2007 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-24-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
My wife was far more skittish than she is now. The change came after she took an afternoon ride in an 16-foot powerboat on Calibogue Sound where they were jacked around by every single ripple on the water. The wine kept flying out of her glass, and she was just waiting for the engine to fail. After that experience, she was ready to climb back aboard our 5-ton sailing vessel.
Old 07-25-2007

dorourke is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=SEMIJim;170770]dorourke, sounds like y'all had a very good day .

Nonetheless, from your prior comments, I remain convinced you both would benefit from classes. On her part: Confidence in herself and the boat. On your part: Confidence in her ability. For her part, in particular: As long as she understands neither the boat nor how to command it, she's trusting to "magic." She'll never feel truly comfortable, even if you're the one working the "magic," and no matter how many times you avoid disaster. She may grow less uncomfortable, but that's not the same thing.

You are absolutely right. I have a lineup on a women teaching women sailing class, it's hands on through a local sailing club, getting her there is another tactick in itself. We both have been to sailing class but not in an actual sailing school together, it was more or less an academic study. I have been sailing myself for a while, I won't say I'm a great sailor or that I'm even good, it came natural to me and I took well to others who have showed me the ropes. This weekend she will take the helm and I will let her go at it without my interfearance (in a calm bay), I want her to get a feal of it and know how it works in her own way. I am very pleased on how many others here at Sailnet who are willing to help me in this matter, I have read all replies and even other threads as suggested and I'm getting quite an education. I hope my situation will help others through this thread as much as it's helped me.