Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2002

thomas s is on a distinguished road
Best Built Boats?

True, many were bought in kit form,but ballast was always factory installed and decks and hull were always joined and bonded.
thomas
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Best Built Boats?

Actually, not of Westsails were sold with the ballast factory installed. When I was in Florida I watched a guy pouring concrete that was mixed with iron scrap and lead recovered from shooting ranges and tire shops into one.

Jeff
Old 02-23-2006

canopus22 is on a distinguished road
Best Boat Built

I used to live in Costa Mesa, CA and often stopped by Where the 27' Bristol Channel Cutters were being built and for my money it's one of the strongest built ships out there. Some interiors were finished by the owners but most are completed in house. There was/is no stinting on quality, all perifials were top quality. Many are to found all over the world and the very few that come up for resale are few and far between and expensive as compared to similar sized boats. Years before my move to CA, I lived on the Niagara Frontier and had the good fortune to meet the late George Hinterhoeller who built many fine boats including the Niagara, C&C, and the Nonsuch. He was a fanatic on quality and fit. After have puchased a HR 25 from him, I asked him how strong the boat was. His answer:" I'ts as strong as your ability to sail her, handle it properly and she'll survive anything." His words were prophetic, the next year I got caught in a horrific storm on Lake Ontario. I didn't believe I would get through it, but I did what I had to do and The HR 25 didn't fail me.
Old 02-23-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
"...I have to stick up for the contessa and westsail... You cannot ever say the westsail is not a well built boat, what kinda boat washed up on the beach perfectly intact during the storm of the century?"

Thomas,
The kinda of boat (Westsail) apparently is a boat with such poor seakeeping behavior that the crew would risk their lives to get off of it even though it were in no danger of sinking...

If by "well built" you mean "solidly constructed" then Westsail may fit your definition, but that may only be a good definition for picking your barrel for Niagra Falls it leaves a lot out as far as ocean cruising or pleasure sailing goes. Examples IMHO would be that Westsails are painfully slow, with very limited space below, and poor seakeeping characteritics due to excessive displacement. Not to mention that many were home finished so the quality of the boat can vary from OK production to total trash. Old looking and fat don't make for a better boat...

Just my ten cents...
Old 02-24-2006

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
Look at what works

One source I would look into is Practical Sailor who do have resources to look into a wide variety of used boats.
Old 02-24-2006

Somawas is on a distinguished road
Practical Sailor's annual boat buying guides are pretty good, too.
Old 02-27-2006

chipahoy is on a distinguished road
I sail a Downeast 32, in the heavy boat class. Every once in awhile I want a faster sailing boat until the wind picks up, anything over 20mph and my boat will go with the best of them and at 12-15K I may be a little slower but as I live on the boat, it gives me the comfort to live on it, cook on it and generally enjoy being on the water and not hanging on for dear life. I've sailed on Lake Superior for years, now in Florida for my second winter on the boat having taken it back and forth to Michigan. We will start our journey north and follow spring up the east coast, across the great lakes and back to our home in Houghton, mi. next week. In my opinion and for the type of sailing I do I think my boat serves me well and it still makes my heart go when see it at anchor. So I guess I give a thumbs up to the very sturdy downeast 32.
scott
www.geocities.com/svchipahoy
Old 02-27-2006

windship has a little shameless behaviour in the past
The Westsail is 3000lbs heavier than the Downeast.

Dennis
Old 02-27-2006

chipahoy is on a distinguished road
But at 17000lbs I think it is in the heavy boat class, mine is way more than 17000lbs with 100 gal water, 75gal of diesel, 4 6v golf cart batteries, a sound system and all the stuff we have on board after living on the boat for a few years, as well as 125ft of 3/8 chain, 3 anchors, dingy and outboard. It is not a racer for sure !!!
scotty
www.cdbaby.com/scottperkins
Old 02-28-2006

PuffinIP31 is on a distinguished road
Jerry,

If you're looking for a "best built, known for quality" boat, designed for open ocean and long-term Carribean cruising, you need to include Island Packets in your list. That's what IP's are and what they're designed for. Over the years, IP's have been built in 27, 29, 31, 32, 35, 37. 38, 40, 42, 44, 45, and 48 models, with a 40' pilot house motorsailer due this summer. The 29, 31, and 32 could certainly fill your needs. Yes, they are relatively expensive, but I believe you're paying for the quality of contruction and systems. I should note that I'm a little biased, having purchased my IP 31 new, and have been cruising New England waters for the last 19 seasons.