Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2007

sailh34 is on a distinguished road
I have to agree... Unless your honey is going with you, save it and take some great vacations together if that is what you truly intend to do with a portion of that money. After the one year, you will be left with some money left over and a girlfriend. I would guess you risk ending up with no money and no girl if you go the other route. That is based on my wife though...

Option 2. Get a small boat and sail over to the Bahamas for the winter. If your girl can get a good amount of vacation, have her fly over and spend a month with you half way through. Better yet, have her meet you in the Keys or something where it is in country and easy for her to bring the pup.

I would just worry about doing a full year away from someone you love and expect them to be waiting when you get back.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2007
Siren 17

danjarch will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfriend View Post
Don't crew for these guys, they don't maintain their boats for crap. One of them went down a few years back in a hurricane, lost the entire crew. As far as crewing opportunities go look up crew seekers, crew finders, post on all the different sailing forums, and the way I got my first job on a boat, look in the back of all the sailing and boat magazines you find. As far as avoiding the captain bly's out there, the yachty the boat the pickier the captains. Look for either a working vessel, like Passenger carrying tall ships, charter boats, and such. These are going to be more likely to pay you something any way, you might be able to hang out in the carib, just working as a mate for room, board and tips. When you want to go some place new, look for a decent boat that isn't to shiny, a couple of scratches here and there tell you the boat is a moving boat and not a shrine to the sea gods.

I'm going to list the next in increasing order of opportunity to avoid sailing with an ass.
1. Good. If you find a trip that starts out with a couple of short trips before a long one, ie.. a couple hops up the eastern seaboard before crossing the Atlantic.
2. Better. If you find a trip that starts with about a week of yard/refit. If some is prone to blow his top, or is overly picky with the help so to speak, it will show up in yard alot faster then on the water. Plus you can leave at the end of the day, you don't have to wait till the trip is over.
3. Best. A combination of 1 and 2. This way you get to see their temperament and get to see their seamanship before your to far out to hop off the boat.

A couple of things to remember. Working vessels pay but rarely go far from their home port. They are nice to the help though. Private vessels that pay are usually owned by some picky buggers and are usually more or less manned by full time and trained crew, so unless you want to be the cabin boy, etc... Private vessels that don't pay are normally own by cruisers. They are going cruising or they couldn't get free help. They're more likely to be going some place fun, and are nicer to the help.

A good example of how to get started is of a fellow crew member I worked with. He started as a fish mate on a charter fishing boat in Key West, then came to work with us on the Schooner Liberty Clipper, also in Key West. After a couple months he met a guy with a 38' sloop going down to Cuba. the guy had single handed down to the keys but want company to cross open water. I heard from him after he had left Cuba and wound up in Mexico. I lost touch after that.
!! WARNING !! The above information is to be used by intelligent people only. If you are Stupid, could be considered a moron, or otherwise. You are instructed to disregard this information and seek the help of a licensed and bonded professional.
Old 07-20-2007

MysticSkipper is on a distinguished road
You need to listen to both your heart and your head, but do it now because as you grow older your GI tract will start drowning them both out...
Old 07-20-2007

cockeyedbob is on a distinguished road
Aye MysticSkipper. that's a fact.

'Spect he's formed his plan and is just lookin' for a bit o' reinforcement prior to committing ... also 'spect she won't grieve too long.
Old 07-20-2007

punjabi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorstone View Post

I am 28 years old and have a girlfriend of 7 years.

Maurice
I think that's illegal. I would find someone a little older.
Old 07-20-2007
Just another stop...

Bardo is on a distinguished road
After we were married, but before we had kids, my wife went (with my blessing) on an around the world sea cruise on a "university" ship, chartered by the U of Pittsburgh. She was the reference librarian for a bunch of spoiled college kids, but she had a blast visiting a dozen countries, becoming a shellback, experiencing the sea eating great food from venezuela to Japan. When she got back she was ready to have the kiddies. Now, 10 years later, we are considering an adventure ourselves, with the kids (7 and 8). Go for it, but keep your SO involved, in touch, and invested (both monetarily and emotionally). If you are meant to be together, then it will work out fine. if not, then nows a great time to find out. Ride the canal boats through Europe and UK. Slow going but fun! Sail as crew on a tall ship for awhile.
Old 07-20-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
Go spend a year as Zanshin's cook and take his left overs. Problem is, you might not want to come back.
Old 07-20-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
to quote a california lottery winner when asked about his plans for the money...

"I'm gone to spend some on booze, spend some on broads and piss away the rest"

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 07-20-2007

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
If you ask on a sailing forum what you should do with a year out the result is a bit predictable.
I leave out the question of the partner - you may be soulmates but not cellmates. However you may wish to adopt strategies that help sustain the relationship eg ph mail visits.
$40,000 doesn't cover too much of buying a boat besides it is a hassle for a year setting it up etc. You saved the money so why not have a year out as OE as many do. You are obviously prudent, so try it, rather than bust out later after the kids in a mid-life crisis.
Crew on various boats on passage. If you are in Europe you could start with the Europe to caribbean run then do the cross pacific that will take a year. The benefit is that it breaks into short stages each at a cruising stagepoint where you can swap boats if you wish, so you are not committed to one year one boat.
If you want to take a month out to backpack through x or whatever takes your fancy you can. Essentially you can choose what you like and so don't have to plan the year out.
If you plan something like that I would look at going from Europe in about Oct this year. That is the usual time. Or go on the Baja rally to mexico around the same time leaving across the Pacific in about March finishing in Australia NZ in Oct Nov. It depends where you want to go, and the traditional times. You could go Europe to Australia in that time. Equally you could bail out in the Canaries should you not like it. www.cruiser.co.za has a hitchhikers guide.
You could expect to pay your share of expenses which is fair enough, and maybe some for your partner to join you at some point.
As to compatibility yes it is an issue. A difficult owner can be unpleasant to live with or vv. But in a way it is like flatting and you can escape after a week or two if it is too bad. If you can escape ashore for breaks that would help you and them survive. At sea split watches decrease contact.
Besides learning to live in uncomfortable cramped conditions with a snoring, farting, ill-tempered captain, who counts the chocolate biscuits, while you spend romantic star-crossed nights alone on watch may make you appreciate your partner more.
Old 07-20-2007
Ne'er Do Well

TSteele65 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by punjabi View Post
I think that's illegal. I would find someone a little older.
"Hi, I'm Chris Hansen with NBC...."