Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2007
Sailing the Stone

Sailorstone is on a distinguished road
1 year and $40,000

Hi all,

I am seeking input and ideas from both the dreamers and doers that hang around the Sailnet forums. Here is my situation and it is very real (about 80% certain at this stage), my question may be theoretical but my situation is not.

I am 28 years old and have a girlfriend of 7 years. Her clock is ticking and we both want to have kids. However, we have an agreement that before we settle down (a relative term) and have kids I will be granted 1 year and $40,000 to do whatever I want. I have pleaded and begged for my girlfriend to come, but she does not want to quit her job and furthermore feels like any sort of adventure would not be in the best interests of her first love (...see my avatar...). So it looks like I am going it alone. However she is in agreement with the trip and I have her blessings, even though they aren't completely wholehearted.

So my question to all of you...if you were me and had 1 year and $40,000 what would you do? I'm thinking along the lines of something sailing related, but am open to all suggestions.

Thanks and I look forward to some great ideas!

Last edited by Sailorstone; 07-20-2007 at 05:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2007
Siren 17

danjarch will become famous soon enough
Ok, here's what I'd do. Stick most of the money in a mutual fund. Then spend the year crewing on any cool ride I found. Use a bit of the money to fly to and from the neatest rides, but try to haggle for your room and board plus a weekly stipend. There is always someone with plenty of money who wants to go some where cool. This way I'd get to meet interesting people, Ride on a variety of boats, and go to places that I never would have thought of. Including hole in the wall towns that I'd probably never hear of. Also I would be able to fly home and visit my girl every so often, as well as have a better chance of getting her to fly out and enjoy a bit of paradise with me. After the year was up, I'd take the rest of the money and buy a boat.
!! WARNING !! The above information is to be used by intelligent people only. If you are Stupid, could be considered a moron, or otherwise. You are instructed to disregard this information and seek the help of a licensed and bonded professional.
Old 07-20-2007

cockeyedbob is on a distinguished road
I'm confused. Is she paying you 40 grand to take a hike for a year, or is the ticking just keeping you awake at night?

Last edited by cockeyedbob; 07-20-2007 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-20-2007

JustMeUC is on a distinguished road
I would invest most of the money. That's a lot of play money, you don't need to spend that much to see the world unless you are doing it very lavishly. If sailing is your interest then try to find other people's boats to play on.

I took a few years in my 20's to play so I understand the need to do so. I spent time traveling, from Europe to several 3rd world countries. I LOVED the time I spent in the more remote spots. Try to get "off the beaten path" some if you can. It will open your eyes and make you appreciate having the ability to take a year off and $40,000 is more than many of those folks will ever dream of earning in their lifetime.

BTW, your GF's pupper is a Beauty!!
Old 07-20-2007
Sailing the Stone

Hi Dan,

Yes that is an excellent idea and actually saving some of the money to buy a boat hadn't occurred to me before. I had thought of the crewing before and the reason I'm hesitant is that for some reason I have this horrible fear of being stuck crewing on a boat with Captain Bligh and having a miserable experience. How often does that happen? If I were just going to crew on a boat, how do I go about finding someone I am compatible with?

Other ideas are still welcome!
Old 07-20-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Crew for these guys...http://www.windjammer.com/destinations.html

Vaya con Dios
Old 07-20-2007

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorstone View Post
I am 28 years old and have a girlfriend of 7 years. Her clock is ticking and we both want to have kids. .... I have pleaded and begged for my girlfriend to come, but she does not want to quit her job and furthermore feels like any sort of adventure would not be in the best interests of her first love (...see my avatar...). So it looks like I am going it alone.
Maurice

Sailorstone....what an entertaining question. If you are comfortable leaving her behind for one year voluntarily, then I would suggest the bonds between you are not as sound as you imply.

Lots of guys have committment fears and are reluctant to settle down. The most honest ones share their doubts and allow the woman a chance to fulfill her own dreams.

I don't have any advice for you, but I do recommend this book to her.
Old 07-20-2007
Sailing the Stone

CEB - no it is money I have saved. It isn't all of my money but let's just say I worked about 2 years to save for my "sabbatical" and am on track to save about $54,000 by departure date (May 2008). However I need to leave my girlfriend about $11,000 to cover my share of expenses while I am gone and I don't want touch savings that I had prior to the past two years.

JMC - yes I agree that I don't need to spend that much money (in fact the only reason I was able to save so much is because I'm so cheap!!!). I guess I should have said that that is the absolute upper limit of what I can spend, but by no means do I plan on going out and blowing it all on 5 star hotels or anything like that. I just was trying to set some parameters. If a great idea comes along and it will cost that much then I would be willing to part with the $$$.
Old 07-20-2007
Scourge of Howe Sound

Hyperion is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamlicotraveler View Post
Sailorstone....what an entertaining question. If you are comfortable leaving her behind for one year voluntarily, then I would suggest the bonds between you are not as sound as you imply.

Lots of guys have committment fears and are reluctant to settle down. The most honest ones share their doubts and allow the woman a chance to fulfill her own dreams.

I don't have any advice for you, but I do recommend this book to her.
Nice. Perhaps an oversimplification of his relationship, but I enjoyed the vitriol nonetheless.

Sailorstone - Your plan sounds like Bumfuzzle Lite. Check out the Bumfuzzle site (which I won't post for fear of violating yet another half-buried rule that one of two babies will slap me for). Maybe some of their (mis)adventures will help convince your other half to extend the sabbatical and do a circumnavigation with you.
Old 07-20-2007

cockeyedbob is on a distinguished road
Sailorstone ... I see a lot of $$$$$'s and 000000's and I gotta tell ya, life ain't 'bout the money, it's about the experiences and emotional attachments formed ...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.