Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2007
Operating life w/o a net

SchoonerMISTRESS is on a distinguished road
Skip and I are not big on stanchions, hence, traditional life lines are not on MISTRESS. Stanchions cause deck leaks, and I find life lines are more often set too low for me, and feel they do not give me the security I want. I like jack-lines and this is what we will have when we take off, however, right now we have something that is working out quite nicely. He purchased small stainless steel rings which he tied onto some of the standing rigging around the boat with Marlin Spike type technique. When we are ready to go sailing we thread the rings with a heavy line, pull it real tight, and use this for a life line. It works very well. It is at a height I prefer, the line is thicker then traditional life lines which I like for support, and when we get back from sailing it is easy to remove allowing easy access to the dingy and, well, she looks better without life lines and stanchions all the time. This life line does not go around the bow, but instead angles down to the forward hause pipes on either side. This would be our only vulnerable area, however there are many other things to attach yourself too for security.
Kathleen
aboard
Schooner MISTRESS
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BTW, I have lifelines and stanchiions that I could mount on my boat...that go along the outsides of the amas... but we very rarely ever bother. Of course, going forward on a 18'-wide boat with 1' tall bulwarks along the ama decks is a bit safer regardless of the conditions..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-22-2007

vardaman7 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all your comments.They mirror the ones I've heard around the marina. I guess there is no hard fast answer. This was my first post and I look forward to the next.
Old 07-22-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Vardaman,

I like your idea very very much. Awsome...get creative!! Get them off if they anoy you..... Keep the kids idiots and the potential fall over's in the cockpit, I am sure you know what you're doing if you're even asking about removing them. You don't seem stupid.

I love clean toe rails and clean sides (I only have FIXED life lines because European Certification makes me have them, and to make sure the kids stay inside the boat), but if I had your boat to sail around and do a few races..... I am not telling you to do this, but if I were in your shoes, this is what I would do.

Take a look at this:

I would have a small stainless steel rail made to fit, just like the old America's cup boats and just like the Portugal Match race boats!!

Now that's sexy...
Old 07-22-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
You're damn right it's sexy! That's one very fine example of "stanchionless" sailing. (g)
Old 07-22-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Giu - great shot (SD will think you didn't take it!)

What boats are those?

Further on the stanchion/lifelines thing - note that the recent trend of high end "daysailers" from Spirit, Hinckley, Morris etc have decided to go without for aesthetic reasons.
Old 07-22-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Faster,

I did not take that photo, that's from the web site on the Portuguese match racing. This year is held at the same place my Son Fred raced last month, Setubal and Troia. In fact in some photos you can see the Power Plant stacks that you can see in my son's thread.

Those are the Portuguese version of the Swedish Match boats. 12 meter (40 foot) replicas of America's cup boats, raced in the same way, but near the shore for people to see.

Its very exciting and fast. Racing is invitational. These 6 boats are kept in my marina all year round, and I see them almost everyday. They get painted (stickers) for each event. Its very nice to see.
Old 07-22-2007
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
If you need a cheap fix that looks pro, buy a roll of this.
they also sell the loop ends and crimping hardware. mines been on for over a year and still looks new, very functional and alot of compliments and how to questions

Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Old 07-22-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by uspirate View Post
If you need a cheap fix that looks pro, buy a roll of this.
they also sell the loop ends and crimping hardware. mines been on for over
a year and still looks new, very functional and alot of compliments and how to questions
Safe working load is only 184 pounds!!! Is this what you are recommending???
The smallest wire used commercially is 1/8” and the more common wire for
lifelines is 3/16”. And 1/8” lifeline wire has a safe working load of 340 pounds
while 3/16” has a safe working load of 740 pounds.

As a decoration it might look just fine but I hope you are not planning on
using this to keep you from going over the side.
All the best,
Robert Gainer
Old 07-22-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
NoDoubt, Your way out of line. All he did was state a fact. Many lifelines are 3/16 and have 3 times the working load.