Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2007
Semper Gumby

GySgt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to GySgt
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfriend View Post
.....from just selling the house and moving aboard? I am not sure that I have the right boat, but that is easily remedied, right?, buy another one. Is it because I might not like living aboard, and then I'll end up with nothing on land in a market that is brutally expensive? Is it because my son's mom will have a fit and try to take him from me? WTF is wrong with me!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHH!

See what your son thinks. Consult a lawyer about your son/wife and arbitrate that out before there is trouble. Make a commitment or you can always buy a house at Brickyard Cove with a 42 foot slip out front and have the best of both worlds. I can't afford that yet, but that is the direction I am heading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2007

SoOkay is on a distinguished road
We both have a child from previous marriages. I can only tell you what we did.

after thinking about it we decided till both kids go to college the boat is a summer home. This doesn't mean we don't go out. We do every chance we get, and stay out as long as possible. We don't turn her into a house boat with plants and an aquarium. she's always ready to sail within 5-10 minutes; sometimes we go far out, and sometimes we camp on the anchor less than 1NM from the dock. Most trips are somewhere in between.

We feel this in the end is a win-win. The entire time we are gaining knowledge, experience & $$ for when we do cut loose for good; and for now we don't feel like our childrens education and lives are being accommodated around our dream. Both kids love spending summer on the boat and exe's have no ground for any issues.

We also know that when the kids fly from some college town to wherever we'll be it's truly because they share a dream, not because we brought them along.

There are many people that have chosen differently from us. I do not think there's a right or wrong answer here. This is just our choice.
Old 07-23-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for all your wonderful words about my ranting. I too would like my son to share in my love for the ocean, but I don't want to push it on him. My goal is to be cruise ready when he graduates high school, which is also my retirement time. In the mean time I hope to do the Baja-ha, a few times. Cruising and surfing the spots we cruise to is our ambition, and if my son wants to join us during his summers, that would be great. I tend to be very calm and easy going about everything in my life except raising my son. Possibly because I have such a volatile relationship with his mother that I am always worried about the right moves. But I should not let that deter me from what I feel is best for him. I am always willing to compromise, unfortunately, she is of the mind that she is always right. Hence, that is why I am no longer with her.
Unfortunately, I am going to sell the house because it is in the wrong city, and I cannot rent it out due to the HOA. This city is so damn expensive!
Addendum-After reading another's post in another thread about the sailing lifestyle, I need to make an important decision, do I want to cruise, or do I want to live aboard. They don't seem to go hand in hand.

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 07-23-2007 at 05:47 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.