Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
What's holding me back...

.....from just selling the house and moving aboard? I am not sure that I have the right boat, but that is easily remedied, right?, buy another one. Is it because I might not like living aboard, and then I'll end up with nothing on land in a market that is brutally expensive? Is it because my son's mom will have a fit and try to take him from me? WTF is wrong with me!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHH!

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 07-23-2007 at 01:13 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2007
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfriend View Post
WTF is wrong with me!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHH!
absolutely nothing bro! only hesitation. as a responsible father your first priority is your kid. the second is making sure that you and your girl are comfortable. the only thing holding you back is fear. from what it sounds like is that your son is still fairly close. dont let an "ex" stop you from pursuing your dream. for visitation you can pick a halfway travel point to drop off and receive your child,that way neither of you have to visit the others domicile. jump in with both feet and dont look back. I tell you this from my own experience, the small things will work themselves out. you have to live your life too, because if your living to make someone else comfortable (besides your child) your not living! good luck and keep us posted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Old 07-23-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Nothing.

At least you're alive and have a few more synapses firing than most. You're asking the questions, and so, are unlikely to hit 70 and be asking for a 'do-over'. There's probably no 'right" answer, like we saw in the cruising with kids thread, there's only your answer 'cause you're the one that is going to live with it. Besides, who said all the questions in life were easy? Think it out, take council with your most trusted advisers, make your decision, and then get busy making it the best right or wrong decision that you can. As we used to say on the ships, "what's the worst they can do, send me to sea?".
Old 07-23-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
"what's the worst they can do, send me to sea?".
Good One. My most trusted advisors up until I joined here have been land lubbers. This has been a little dream of mine for my whole life, but I put it on the back burner because I never thought it possible. My dad grew up building boats and I grew up on his boats(Bestfriend), fishing and clamming the Long Island Sound. After my Dad had a stroke last year, it all came up to the top again. And now I have the job to support it, and the son to share the experiences with. Its not Long Island Sound, but we fished off the stern two weeks ago and he caught his first little shiner. Priceless.
Pirate, you are right. I have been miserable lately because I have been trying to figure out how to do this and keep everyone else happy, thats just how I am.

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 07-23-2007 at 01:05 AM.
Old 07-23-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
" The things you'll regret most are the things you didn't try" - not sure who said that but there is a lot of truth to it.

BUT - then all of a sudden you have responsibilties to others that complicate otherwise simple decisions. That's the tough part, as you've obviously figured out.

Though not nearly on the scale that you are thinking, a few years back we made a decision involving a career change, relocation, dissolving of a successful long running boating partnership and leaving 22 yrs of friends and neighbours... tough call but we did it.

Three years later, things are good - a new (to us) boat , our former partners also happy with a new (to them) boat, a lifestyle that is more secure and comfortable than had we stayed put. (the only downer really is trading moorage at $1.25/ft/mo for something around $9.00 but there's a price to pay for everything, isn't there?) Keeping in touch with old friends is not so tough these days.

None of this is probably helping you, but maybe just to say that whatever you do decide, in the long run things will likely work out for you.

Good luck
Old 07-23-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Bestfriend,
I'm going to jump in on the other side. In my opinion, you need to keep all of your bases covered. If you're hesitating and you don't know why, you need to figure that bit out. Your son comes first. Of course that doesn't preclude you living aboard, but you've got to make absolutely sure that the ex doesn't have any recourse to take him away from you. If that happened, I'm sure it would poison your relationships, your love of sailing, your life. Wait a while, see how things develop. Improve your mood in the shortrun by getting out on the water and fishing with your son.
Old 07-23-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Nothing's holding you back, you just aren't ready to do it yet. You'll know when it's time, because you'll start working out how to take care of all those other responsibilities, so you can make the dream real. We all have to have priorities in our lives, and right now, moving on the boat isn't your top one.

On the hard at Deaton's Yacht Service, Oriental, NC

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

Old 07-23-2007

rewell6 is on a distinguished road
I agree with Sailhog. Keep the house and use the boat as a campout with your kid. He will probably look forward to camping as oppossed to living on it. An ex just might use that as an excuse to try to take him. You know, unstable life, danger of sea, sleep walking and falling overboard......

Have you discussed this with your son??
Old 07-23-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
BF...I'm kinda with PB on this one. The only thing I would add is that living aboard a boat at a dock is not a lot of fun and everything is harder than living in an apartment so don't romanticize it. Going cruising is a whole different and most enjoyable lifestyle...and HAVING a boat at a dock and being close enough to use it anytime is kewl too.
Most dockside liveaboards NEVER go sailing cause it takes to long to secure and stow stuff they use for everyday living.
Seems to me that your son, your girlfriend are priorities #1 & 2 and your decisions should reflect those__
Old 07-23-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Show your cards in terms of providing for your son, to whom you have both a legal and a moral obligation (I assume you provide child support). If you decide to liveaboard or cruise, either put the boat partly in your boy's name or create a trust fund payable when he's 21 for his education from the sale of the house.

So you have to get a boat loan...so what? You've provided for him before you've even moved aboard.

A lot of this, of course, depends on the state of your relationship with his mother and the level of vindictiveness so common in these cases.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.