Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Asymmetrical Cruising Chute

I have in the past used Atlantic Sail Traders or others for obtaining good quality used sails. I feel that I have gotten my moneys worth in going with used and have not regretted any of my purchases.

My question is, in my search to include a used Cruising Asymmetrical Spinnaker, how do I determine the size I would require?

I have my "I" and "P" dimensions, is there a formula for determining the proper sized Luff, Foot and Leach?

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
You need a J measurement as well, and you need to figure out how you're going to fly it: from a bowsprit, a stem head fitting, from a pennant, etc. I assume you have a masthead rig with a projecting flange from which you can hang a block for the spin halyard...all these variables affect the right size range for your spinnaker purchase.

I'll give you an example. I had a new asy. spin. made for my old boat with a 42.5 foot mast and a 15 foot J on deck. My new boat has a 43 foot mast and a 20 foot J (due to the generally larger dimensions and the presence of a two-foot bowsprit). I believe that the asy. spin will work on a tack pennant off the bowsprit, because its height is very close. But the draft will be altered and it will have less area than an "ideal" spin cut for the boat. It will also likely look a little funny, as I will haul it up not quite as high as on the original boat.

But it's worth a try, and I will look for light air next week to experiment. The thing cost me $3,000, and I want to get some use out of it, as its useless to the people currently racing my old boat, for which it was cut.
Old 07-23-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Sorry I mean't to say "j".
Mast head : with spinnaker halyard.
And my plan is to use a set of beads to wrap around the rolled up Genny and a tack down haul led back to the cockpit.

I have found this to be very helpful.

http://www.neilprydesails.com/pdfs/N...0Spinnaker.pdf

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White