Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
Considering there are upwards of 20,000,000 recreational boats in this country, it seems fairly unlikely that this will come to pass.

Don't count on it, this isn't a boater vs Fed Gov, this is boater vs Environmentist/political correctness and feel good legislation, all of which the Fed Gov is affraid of.

I've seen the voices of 200,000 offroaders stomped into oblivion by one anti OHV environmental group and a small handful of feel good lemmings with time money to donate

Besides, you'll get less than 1% participation for active boaters

Last edited by poopdeckpappy; 07-24-2007 at 05:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Well, we're screwed in California, our reps are Sen. Barbara Boxer (D CA),
Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D CA) two of the biggest envirowhores you'll ever meet
Old 07-24-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
Well, we're screwed in California, our reps are Sen. Barbara Boxer (D CA),
Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D CA) two of the biggest envirowhores you'll ever meet
Yes, but you have the "Governator" to terminate them!
Old 07-24-2007

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
Well I sent an email to our rep. Not that I expect him to do anything but tote the party line.
I've been hearing noise about gray water discharge anyway. I figure in a year or two we won't be able DIY bottom paint anymore. Pretty soon the enviormental laws will price most people out of the boating.
2007 Hunter 49
Old 07-24-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brezzin View Post
Well I sent an email to our rep. Not that I expect him to do anything but tote the party line.
I've been hearing noise about gray water discharge anyway. I figure in a year or two we won't be able DIY bottom paint anymore. Pretty soon the enviormental laws will price most people out of the boating.
Like how most of us have been priced out of ever owning waterfront property!
Old 07-24-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCGRET1990 View Post
Yes, but you have the "Governator" to terminate them!

Yeah, Governator my swortsennator, you wait, Homer Simpson and ******{SPIDER PIG}}}} ( hear that echo) will kick his a$$
Old 07-24-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Unfortunately, it is difficult if not impossible to find an environmental issue where the desire to do something has not overwhelmed any questions of the effectiveness of what is being done. The political nature of such things is that one must only win the battle of conventional wisdom. This is true of such things as, say radon, "the second leading cause of lung cancer after smoking". And yet, the actual numbers approach unmeasurable or statistically insignificant. Don't get me going on the dangers of second hand smoke.

The perhaps most interesting thing is that most US cities of any significant size have underequipped sewage treatment systems. For instance, during heavy rains the storm sewer and sewage system of Grand Rapids, Michigan overflows into the Grand River and eventually finds it's way into Lake Michigan. The law, if implemented, would put someone like tjk for instance in an interesting position of having to defend himself after a little sail up to Grand Haven as to whether the effluent around his boat was his or person's unknown fifty miles away.

And then, as with Alar, acid rain, and a myriad of others there will be no money, and less interest, to see if the regulations actually work.
Old 07-27-2007
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post
The law, if implemented, would put someone like tjk for instance in an interesting position of having to defend himself after a little sail up to Grand Haven as to whether the effluent around his boat was his or person's unknown fifty miles away.
Who is going to be doing real-time monitoring of 20 million boat's effluent or copper emissions or grey water discharges? Physically, economically and realistically impossible. Not saying don't fight the legislation, just saying it's scope is ridiculous and as a law, completely unworkable.
Old 07-27-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
I live in NC, which is a study in contrasts. Go west to the mountains and you will find a lot of activists concerned about conserving the quality of the rivers (mining is a major concern) and the land. Come further east and it goes downhill fast. By the time you get to the coastal plain, the rivers are largely ditches full of pig s__t and pesticides (because our top agricultural products are bacon and cigarettes; we are so health conscious). I want to agree with G that we should do it more like they tend to in Europe; just go after the bad guys. But the tough part is - how do you catch them? I guess the intent of the inspections is to catch the ones who are obviously operating in violation because they don't have systems adequate to be able to operate properly. Would random inspections and big fines be a better idea? If they did that, they would probably also need to let people have voluntary inspections with no fines for failing (just a warning and a time limit given to comply). But if they did that, there would be screaming also. If you had a mechanical issue and didn't realize it and got randomly inspected at the next port and fined an exorbitant amount, would that be fair? No easy answers. What makes it worse is the government's lousy track record at implementing things like this.

I have figured out how to derail this, though. We just need to each chip in a couple of bucks and we can buy a cruiser for W. We can probably get him a pretty nice one since we would be willing to overlook a leaky head or shoddy copper job. Then once he owns a boat like that...
Old 07-27-2007
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbarnhart View Post
I want to agree with G that we should do it more like they tend to in Europe; just go after the bad guys.
In some European countries (and others as well) they have banned in-water hull cleaning. That's going after the little guy, in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbarnhart View Post
I have figured out how to derail this, though. We just need to each chip in a couple of bucks and we can buy a cruiser for W.
How 'bout we buy him one that's a gnat's ass away from sinking, and then let him take it out in shark-infested waters?

Last edited by Fstbttms; 07-27-2007 at 11:03 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.