Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
That won't work; even sharks have standards...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2007
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbarnhart View Post
That won't work; even sharks have standards...
Old 07-27-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
So have any of you "recreational boaters" contacted your congressman and senators, or are you still sitting there picking your noses hoping that Big Bro will make things right in the end????

http://www.house.gov/writerep/

http://www.senate.gov/
Old 07-27-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Yep, I did, but, I'll have you know that I type with one finger, leaving my other for my nose, I can multi task that way

Sad thing is however, my reps will most likely not stand behind H.R. 2550, they sleep between the sheets of enviro money

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 07-28-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Thanks Pappy. The rest of you guys break out your check books and get ready to buy a brand spankin new discharge permit for the low low price of $1000+. Oh wait, you'll need two because that dingy, the one with an outboard stapped to it that is registered....that's also a recreational vessel, that'll be two permits for you. Don't think it'll happen???, think back to the luxury tax that crippled the recreational boating industry. That's right!, it can and will happen(if you don't speak up). Once the gov. gets 1000+ per permit/per year for 18 million registered and documented recreational vessels, who thinks they'll stop collecting that for at least five or six years until the industry is almost dead again?

Please don't be complacent, contact your reps., hell contact all the reps from your state, even if you aren't one of their constituents (i did).

Faxes work well, it's a piece of paper that someone has to hold and deal with in some capcity, even if that capacity is to walk it to the recycle bin(if those bastards even recycle)

Phone calls are OK, someone answers the phone and takes two seconds to listen to you, then they promptly forget what they just heard from you when you hang up.

E-mail is the worst contact type. Someone comes in to the office in the morning and empties the inbox, never to be seen.

I hear that in some countries that angry mobs with pitchforks and torches work well at getting attention, but I don't think we are quite there just yet(but close)
Old 07-31-2007
Not So Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperwhite View Post
So have any of you "recreational boaters" contacted your congressman and senators, or are you still sitting there picking your noses hoping that Big Bro will make things right in the end????

http://www.house.gov/writerep/

http://www.senate.gov/
Hate to quote myself but......
Why yes Sapperwhite, I have contacted my congressman, and here's the response I have received.

Dear Mr. White:
Thank you for sharing with me your support for legislation to protect recreational boaters.
With Maryland's fame for accessible and extensive waterways, recreational boating is an important activity in our state. According to a recent study, recreational boating brings $1.8 billion to Maryland's economy each year in tourism and service dollars for our coastal communities and provides over 30,000 jobs. As a Member of the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, I appreciate the important contribution of boating and recreational fishing to our local economy, and will support legislation that protects Maryland boaters from onerous regulations and keeps the Maryland boating industry strong.
I truly appreciated hearing from you, and I will be sure to keep you updated as these proposals are discussed.
Sincerely,
Wayne T. Gilchrest
Member of Congress

So, if you are in Maryland's 1st district, your congressman supports you, at least on this matter. Great.
Old 07-31-2007

masseyjw is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't worry too much about this coming to pass. I'm sure big oil will take an interest in this, seeing how so much of the middle aged American bourgeoisie think they can just buy a powerboat that gets 2 mpg, and call themselves "captain". I must say, I’m a little disappointed from the communal response on this. I got into sailing, because I loved the connecting to the natural world, but I keep running into the same stereotypical elitist "Mr. Howell" types. I don't see how people can say "down with laws that protect the environment for my children if they inconvenience me." I think rather than trying to kill this legislature, we should make sure registration and enforcement are fairly dispersed among different classes of boats. I'm not trying to be offensive at all, only to perhaps show another side if this issue. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2007
Not So Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyjw View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about this coming to pass. I'm sure big oil will take an interest in this, seeing how so much of the middle aged American bourgeoisie think they can just buy a powerboat that gets 2 mpg, and call themselves "captain". I must say, Iím a little disappointed from the communal response on this. I got into sailing, because I loved the connecting to the natural world, but I keep running into the same stereotypical elitist "Mr. Howell" types. I don't see how people can say "down with laws that protect the environment for my children if they inconvenience me." I think rather than trying to kill this legislature, we should make sure registration and enforcement are fairly dispersed among different classes of boats. I'm not trying to be offensive at all, only to perhaps show another side if this issue. Thanks.
Point noted....

The original law was designed to protect the environment from vessels that brought foreign ballast water into waters where creatures living in that foreign ballast water were not indigenous..... Do you have the ability to do that with your rec. sailboat, john boat, or searay? I don't(unless I really tried).

Joe Blow on his SeaDoo didn't introduce Chinese Mitten Crabs to the bay, a water ballasted freighter or tanker did. This isn't fighting discharge of your head into the bay(still illegal), it's protecting you from having to purchase a $1000+ permit that states you are forbidden from discharging foreign ballast water into US waters.

And as far as Mr. Howell goes, he can reach into his deep pockets and pay for a permit like this no problem....the majority of us can't.

I too am big on the environment, I'm just not to big on legislation that will make me pay a lot of cash to do absolutely nothing positive for the environment.
Old 07-31-2007
San Juan 26

LittleMissMagic is on a distinguished road
I think all of us, by nature of being sailors, are interested in protecting our natural surroundings. This does not imply a willingness to bow to any law that is masked as "environmentally friendly" but in reality an effort by the government to collect more revenue. My response to the EPA would be to show some proof that recreational boaters represent a threat to water quality. I think you will find that industry and agriculture are a much much bigger threat to water quality. I work as a commercial diver in an inland capacity, I have seen firsthand the CRAP that papermills, chemical plants, and oil refineries are ALLOWED by the EPA to put in our rivers, bays, and waterways. It's these "allowable" levels of contaminates that needs to be addressed, not the minute levels of biodegradable contaminates that recreational, and commercial vessels for that matter, put into the water.
Keep the government out of the little man's pocketbook. Write your senators and congressmen. If they want something to levee permit fees on go after big oil, they've got plenty of money.
Old 07-31-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Well said LittleMissMagic. Last I checked, the Zebra mussels have been imported by the water ejected by large freighters, rather than that of small recreational boats.

You missed large agribusinesses, like corporate hog farms, which have caused sewage releases that have killed entire stretches of rivers where the polluted runoff has entered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissMagic View Post
I think all of us, by nature of being sailors, are interested in protecting our natural surroundings. This does not imply a willingness to bow to any law that is masked as "environmentally friendly" but in reality an effort by the government to collect more revenue. My response to the EPA would be to show some proof that recreational boaters represent a threat to water quality. I think you will find that industry and agriculture are a much much bigger threat to water quality. I work as a commercial diver in an inland capacity, I have seen firsthand the CRAP that papermills, chemical plants, and oil refineries are ALLOWED by the EPA to put in our rivers, bays, and waterways. It's these "allowable" levels of contaminates that needs to be addressed, not the minute levels of biodegradable contaminates that recreational, and commercial vessels for that matter, put into the water.
Keep the government out of the little man's pocketbook. Write your senators and congressmen. If they want something to levee permit fees on go after big oil, they've got plenty of money.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.