Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Looks like a CQR Giu.

Old 07-25-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Thanks TB, actually I did some searching and found my anchors's names. I bought my anchors from Plastimo in Europe. The main, that looks like a CQR is called a Soc Anchor, and the smaller one in the front anchor, that I was calling a Danforth is actually called a Brittany anchor.

Check the link above, wait for it to lad, then see under anchors.

Even with different names, they are similar to the Danforth and CQR, aren't they?

The name doesn't really matter. That is what I have here since I used diapers.

Last edited by Giulietta; 07-25-2007 at 09:11 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2007
Anchorsmith

Craig Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoOkay View Post
I thumbed thru CW on my way out this morning and they had an article about setting 2 anchors in line, not at 45° angle. The diagram showed chain running from the crown of your primary up to a second one. If your primary drags it will only settle the second one deeper.

I have never used this particular setup, can anyone comment on their experience with this?
Argh.

I can comment. Thanks for the intro Giulietta.

I will comment that -
  • Using anchors of multiple types, particularly a Danforth, is asking for trouble.
  • Shackling to the trip-line attachment point of a CQR, Delta, Bruce, or other anchor with this feature, is asking for trouble.
  • Giulietta's mentions in this thread, and the past, have covered very light loads. 3-5 knots current is not at all significant. In the more extreme conditions the technique should be reserved for, he will get the trouble he has been asking for.
On the trip-line attachment point - any article instructing this be used for a tandem anchor is incredibly ignorant and should be condemned. I cannot state this point forcefully enough.

Otherwise, I will only redirect readers to my article on the topic. The issue is involved enough that what I've written is over 5000 words, and that's the concise version. Those serious about needing this technique will take the time to study the issue carefully.
http://www.rocna.com/boat-anchors/tandem-anchoring.php

Now, on behalf of all anchor salesmen, particularly those representing the better types, I encourage the reader to do as many things wrong as they possibly can. We tend to notice a connection between dragging and scary experiences, and subsequent new Rocna sales...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailnet Disclosure: Craig is the son of the designer of Rocna and has a financial interest in its success.

Last edited by Craig Smith; 07-25-2007 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Change
Old 07-25-2007

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road
Giu, yours looks like a CQR. Maybe is maybe not. Anyway my friend swear by tandem anchor as well. same setup as yours. Never drag, never will (hopefully). He uses a trip line for easier recovery.
Old 07-25-2007

SoOkay is on a distinguished road
Gui
Thank you for the explanation. I think we'll be looking for some clear space and experimenting soon
Old 07-25-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
All I can say is that when Poirot and Smith agree on something...it is worth listening to! (G)
Old 07-25-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Craig...

Like I said, I used it like that for 20 years...really...so does the rest of the people I knw, and if we had trouble, I would have known about it.

Very very few boats here drag. The latest was a power yacht, in 2004 with one of those fancy stainless things that look like a manta ray. Destryed in a cove.

Look, I use the anchor to hold my boat, you use it to make a living...we can't argue, can we?? (VBG)!!
Old 07-25-2007
Anchorsmith

Craig Smith is on a distinguished road
Giulietta, trying to support your argument by saying that "very very few boats drag" in your area is hardly convincing - it only demonstrates the conditions there are less than demanding. In another discussion I believed you mentioned "20 - 30 knots wind" as further proof that there is nothing wrong with your technique.

This simply doesn't apply to long term cruisers who have real need to use tandem anchors. In moderate to good holding, a decent anchor of baby size will hold your boat in your conditions... the forces are trivial. Once you have used your tandem set-up in 50 or 60 knots wind, with bad surge, and a shifting wind direction, then you get to claim it is well tested and "never any problems".

Sorry for the harshness, but you are misleading people badly and providing information is what these forums are for. Please take careful note of the other expert opinions which may be found on this topic, including some directly mentioned here... Alain Poiraud (Spade), Jean-Louis Goldschmid (Glénans school), the British MAIB, Charles E Kanter, etc. Don't accuse me of not being credible in this context, it doesn't affect our bottom line what people do with their anchors once they've bought them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailnet Disclosure: Craig is the son of the designer of Rocna and has a financial interest in its success.

Last edited by Craig Smith; 07-27-2007 at 01:51 AM. Reason: is out for lunch.
Old 07-25-2007
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
Craig-
The article the OP was refering to ws written by Evans Stargazer (sp?). I'll take his word (and John Rousmanerie (again, sp?)[edit: "and Alex"]) over yours any day. Also sorry for the harshness.

Mike

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)
Old 07-25-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
This is my main anchor, by the way, the one I call plow...(what do you call that in the US?) ...I would NOT use a Danforth as a main. For the record.
That's a real CQR plow, Alex, by the look of it a 20 kg. one.

Your system...I think I'll try it. It's like the use of a kellet in FRONT of the main anchor's flukes...even poorly set itself, the weight and drag will tend to push the flukes of the main anchor in firmly.

The Danforth is good as a "lunch hook" (an anchor for calm conditions when you want to just hang out for a few hours), and it can make a good second anchor for when you are expecting a wind shift (it's set 45 degrees on the lee side), and it can be a very nice stern anchor.

It's useful, but limited in many ways. I know a lot of people on Lake Ontario use it as a main, but it's not suitable to do so beyond casual daysailing activities, in my view.

Of course, I still carry a Yachtsman's, so I'm a little squirrelly on the topic of anchors.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.