Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Regardless of how well or poorly Mr. Smith's anchors hold, or how many test reports he has posted in the past, I would rather keep what has worked for me, or choose another anchor if I had the need, over selecting his products.

His marketing approach by hi-jacking threads, is comparable to telemarketers who choose to call during dinner hour, or their spammer relatives who relentlessly clog forums and our email inboxes with their uninvited solicitations.
Old 07-25-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
Even with different names, they are similar to the Danforth and CQR, aren't they?
Very similar. The English term is "knock-off". A less common knock-off is of the Bruce anchor, a non-articulating plow type. A real Bruce is forged, not cast, and is expensive, but in certain conditions is a very nice anchor to have.

The CQR gets its name in English because it sounds like "secure" when you run the letters together...a subtlety a Portuguese English speaker might not have immediately "heard".

We English-speakers are constantly fooling around with our own language. It's amazing anyone else bothers to learn it, really.

You and "Mr. Lead Head" should speak English to each other occasionally, just so he can get some practice. He's surprisingly good, considering he doesn't get the opportunity you get travelling on business. Fred's English is unbelievable, and even Giulietta's is pretty good. The thing that amazes me is how "light" their accents are...you know I know a Portuguese accent when I hear it, and Fred sounds like a Canadian kid half the time. It's only when he hits an unfamiliar or strangely-spelled word in English that I can hear the innately Portuguese element in his pronounciation.

But I digress...(I am waiting for a client to call so I can finish my job and go sailing...you know how this is.)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2007
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
Mr Smith:

"The owners of SailNet.com have the right to remove, edit, move or close any forum thread for any reason and we reserve the right to block your access to this site for any reason including if you:

* Have been untruthful during the sign-up process

* Post the same message in multiple forums - this is a forum rules violation

* Post messages promotion a commercial enterprise - this is only permitted for paying SailNet Advertisers

* Include links in your postings to commcerial enterprises in an effort to promote those enterprises regardless of your personal involvement in that enterprise - this is only permitted for paying SailNet Advertisers

* Register under multiple names in an attempt to hide your true identity and post under multiple screen names

* Post messages that are objectionable and meant to offend or incite conflict

* Cause undue labor on the part of volunteer moderators in the mediation of disputes arising from your posts

* Access this forum to gain knowledge of our features, promotions or programming techniques for use in enhancing competitive websites

* Use this forum to post messages that are meant to embarrass other members in an attempt to settle personal disputes

* Exploit this forum by contacting members to sell products and services privately instead of becoming paying advertisers (Especially Vendors, Merchants, Dealers & Brokers)

* Join this forum and use it to berate a vendor, dealer or manufacturer. If you've got an axe to grind please go elsewhere.
We reserve the right to publish information about you if you violate The Rules. You agree that any content you post on this forum may be re-used by SailNet.com for any reason without your consent
By clicking the button below, you agree to The Rules and agree to be bound by them while using the SailNet website. In addition you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, objectionable or otherwise violate of any laws."

You are a paying SailNet advertiser, aren't you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)
Old 07-25-2007

Looking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
His marketing approach by hi-jacking threads, is comparable to telemarketers who choose to call during dinner hour, or their spammer relatives who relentlessly clog forums and our email inboxes with their uninvited solicitations.
Umm... I think this may be a tad unfair. While I don't know anything about Mr. Smith's anchors, his previous posts, or Mr. Smith for that matter, it would appear he was practically invited into this particular thread by Giu in the very second post to this thread. I wouldn't classify that as a hi-jack but a direct response.

I would ask... is there any reliable, independent test results out there that cover all of these types of anchors and conditions? Wouldn't this already have been a subject of extensive tests at Practical Sailor? I'm still pretty much a N00b, and between boats at that, but it would seem there should be some pretty sound test results out there... independent, unsponsored tests.
Old 07-25-2007
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
Looking-
One of the major sail mags recently did a piece on comparing anchors, but comparative tests are only as good as the test conditions (i.e. if they only tested in mud, it doesn't help you if you normally anchor in a rocky cove...). I believe it prompted a 'interesting' thread in this site. I recommend doing a search of this site for the threads about anchors. I think the 'debating' really does a better job of exploring the pros and cons of each anchor. If you can get through the personal attacks and the 'paid advertising', I think you may find your answer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)
Old 07-25-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Looking,

I'll be as repetitious as Mr. Smith is in hawking his products, by repeating two forum rules he breaches with each of his 71 posts -

* Post messages promoting a commercial enterprise - this is only permitted for paying SailNet Advertisers

* Include links in your postings to commcerial enterprises in an effort to promote those enterprises regardless of your personal involvement in that enterprise - this is only permitted for paying SailNet Advertisers

You may think I'm a "tad unfair", but in my opinion his constant anchor bashing to promote his anchors gets a tad tiresome.

Last edited by TrueBlue; 07-25-2007 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-25-2007

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
The gist of this tandem anchoring is that you need to pick your anchors carefully and deploy them when you need them. I can see where it will work and there are a few places that stream mooring (an anchor out fore & aft) would be better, or two anchors set at a 45 degree angle.
Judging what method of anchoring you will use will come from experience and discussing the methods on sites like this with other sailors and find out what they have experienced. The main thing is to keep and open mind and an eye on the weather/tidal patterns where you are at.
Old 07-25-2007
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
With respect to the tandem anchoring technique in the OP, this article was essentially lifted from chapter 6 (pg 173-174) of the Voyager's Handbook second edition; "Some situations demand extra holding power, more than can be supplied by the primary anchor. This can be the case in some crowded Mediterranean anchorages, where it is not possible to put out adequate scope for the conditions. It can also be the case on a bottom with poor holding or in very high winds. In these situations, setting two anchors in tandem on the same rode provides additional holding power and will keep the primary anchor from dragging." ... "Tandem anchors are a common solution in Chile where high winds and rocky, kelp-covered bottoms cause anchors that have worked successfully everyplace else to drag".

I initially found the description of this technique in the book confusing, and had to re-read it several times before I understood. Seeing it again in CW reinforced the idea.

Alex's illustration, and explination were far clearer than those in either the Voyager's Handbook, or CW. Maybe he should be a consultant on the next version?

Finally, and I don't like going here, by stating that anyone's practice (never mind two well respected authors);
Quote:
is incredibly ignorant and should be condemned. I cannot state this point forcefully enough.
is the beginning of another pissing contest...

The OP asked if anyone had experience with the tandem anchoring technique. Alex stated that he did have experience with this technique, and he explained it very well.

Ed
Old 07-25-2007
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
I just looked at Alex's diagram again and noticed one difference between his technique, and that of the Voyager's Handbook. The connection between anchors in Alex's description is rope, and that in the VH (and CW) is chain and shackles. There is a rope on the Danforth, but it is only used for retrieving the danforth after the main is secure.
Old 07-25-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
I just looked at Alex's diagram again and noticed one difference between his technique, and that of the Voyager's Handbook. The connection between anchors in Alex's description is rope, and that in the VH (and CW) is chain and shackles. There is a rope on the Danforth, but it is only used for retrieving the danforth after the main is secure.
Eherlihy,

Long time ago, I used a chain also, and stopped using it, because first it was more weight I had to pull, remeber main anchor the motor pulls, the first, Alex does.... to attach and remove was a pain in the neck (I just do a quick bowline, which is fast, easy, secure, easy to remove and helps if you don't have time), because I needed to attach the shackle ( right name??), pulling anchor was slippery, and storing was messy.

If it was a permanent mooring, yes, for the time I am anchored 3 to 4 days, the rope is fine..Its not the floating rope, ok??

By the way, I am very aware of the 45º Double anchor, but here with the boat swinging twice a day from east to west, the anchors, if not set at exact lenghts (difficult to do), start approaching each other, as one holds one drags etc. and end up being worse, as that arrangement here ends up in a tangled mess. BY EXPERIENCE...