SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Tandem in-line anchor setup

9K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  Valiente 
#1 ·
I thumbed thru CW on my way out this morning and they had an article about setting 2 anchors in line, not at 45° angle. The diagram showed chain running from the crown of your primary up to a second one. If your primary drags it will only settle the second one deeper.

I have never used this particular setup, can anyone comment on their experience with this?

#32 ·
I'm afraid I have to side with the nay-sayers to this method of anchoring. the first thing that is going to happen with an anchor attached to the crown of your primary anchor is the prevention of the primary anchor setting properly. The second thing that is going to happen is that, if and when the primary anchor drags, it's resetting is going to be inhibited by the secondary anchor. In my opinion, and experience, mooring to two seperate anchors at a 45 degree lead between is better insurance. Both must be set properly, not the usual set one and hope for the best on two, if needed.

Anchors and anchoring are such a difficult subject because it is one of those areas where we are capable of being as passionate about what worked as we are about what did not. The nature of the holding ground, and lack of real knowledge of it, skews the picture as well. One man's nightmare is another's nirvana. Of course one caught a small coral head and the other buried her in sand twenty feet away.

Experience gathered by a lot of anchoring in your particular area, acheiving a good set, and standing an anchor watch mean a great deal more than the particular anchor selected.

I do not find Mr. Smith's posts objectionable. He is very clear about his position and brings some good knowledge to the table. We have other posters who make their living in the boating business and, were we to get to be a little bit too picky, we could say that their business was enhanced by their reputation on sailnet. Freedom of speech, let the cards fall where they may, and the willingness to have an open mind. Besides, we're just as guilty as any possible overt salesman. We've spent weeks on the topic of SolarStix and no one has an advertising budget as big as that thread. If I were SolarStix, my simple ad would be, "it's all they talk about on Sailnet!".

#33 ·
Well, he's no Conchy Joe or a floating dog kennel owner, I'll give him that.

I do wish he would uncouple his anchor advice, which is debatable but welcome input, from his advocacy of his product. The Rocna has a way to go to prove itself "best anchor ever", and dissing other anchors or techniques is not, in my view, a good place to start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.