Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2007

SoOkay is on a distinguished road
Tandem in-line anchor setup

I thumbed thru CW on my way out this morning and they had an article about setting 2 anchors in line, not at 45° angle. The diagram showed chain running from the crown of your primary up to a second one. If your primary drags it will only settle the second one deeper.

I have never used this particular setup, can anyone comment on their experience with this?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
I anchor many many times in a place called Culatra Island, here in Portugal.

It has 3 to 5 knot currents twice a day, in both directions.

I have been using the tandem method here, for over 20 years, and never draged once. Do it only one anchor I don't care what anchor.....and bye bye...

I use a smaller Danforth anchor (14kg) with 10 feet of rope, attached to the "head" of my main anchor, a 28Kg plow, then chain, then rope. Here is what everyone uses, or you're dragging all the time.

Works for me, and for the others. Our bottom is mud / sand / weed.

Some say its a disater waiting to happen (specially Craig Smith of Rocna, but he is he, and I am me....,) if the smaller first anchor rolls around the primary as the boat circles with the current. So far in over 20 years no problem what so ever.

I do it.

Here is a drwing

Last edited by Giulietta; 07-24-2007 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-24-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
What depth are you talking about there, Alex? I like that set-up...it's simple. Do you attach a tripping line or buoy on the anchor, and do they ever foul each other?
Old 07-24-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
It seems simple on the schematic drawing, but I have issues with the basic design, particularly anchor deployment and stowage.

How do you store that contraption on your removable bow roller Alex, or is the Danforth clipped onto the plow with each set, then unclipped when weighing anchor?

If so, doesn't it make an awful mess of Giulietta's beautiful teak foredeck?

What happens to the plow when current/wind shifts to the reciprocal - does the plow reset again downcurrent from the Danforth without fouling the Danforth?
Old 07-24-2007

SoOkay is on a distinguished road
I believe the intent of the article was to unclip the chain & feed into the windlass after first anchor is stowed. I did not read the entire article but that could get ugly quickly, especially in rough conditions.

I did not scan parts relating to deployment.

Hopefully Alex or someone else w/ experience in this setup can clarify. Perhaps I should read the entire article as well.
Old 07-24-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Ok, let's see if I can explain how I do it.

I do not keep the smaller front anchor on the bow roller, only the main. My boat has a pretty big anchor locker, and I keep the small Danforth there, on a side shelf I had made for it during construction. The Danforth has a permanent 3 meter (10 feet) line attached to it at all times. Why 3 meters ? that is the length required to clear my bow when it is hanging vertically from my main anchor.

This is what I do, once I need to anchor, I remove the line attached to the Danforth, keeping the anchor still inside the locker, I tie it with a bowline to the main anchor's head. Now at this stage the main is still in the roller. But if you have double rollers it’s the same.

I remove the Danforth and drop it slowly, by hand (because my bow is very vertical, plum??). Now the Danforth hangs from the main anchor, and its shaft clears the bottom of my bow because of the 3 meter rope, which also allows for clearance should the boat rock or move while we are setting up.

I then use the drop anchor electric button to descend the main, as it descends, the danforth goes in front of it.

I let the anchor set naturally, and power back a little to help the set.

It normally holds on first drop, because of the two anchors.
I believe the key to not having ever fouled the danforth on the plow is the small 3 meter line.

Val, I have used this anywhere from 13 feet (as you know I draw 10 feet so can’t go any lower), at low tides to 26 feet at high tides in Culatra, with the stong currents we have there.

I have also used it as deep as 80 feet in Cascais. This is a common procedure used here, and I have never ever fouled it once. I have used a tripping line attached to the main anchor, as its less stuff to pull up, as opposed to attaching to the danforth, then having to pull the danforth and the tripping line.

TB, I explained how I have it stowed above, it’s a USE AS NEEDED system, only when we are moored for a long time, and the current is strong, as in that case. On normal day to day few hour anchor, I don’t bother.

The system is pretty simple, attach, drop, then anchor normally.

Don’t forget that once the main is stored in the roller, the boat is loose, so be quick at pulling the tandem anchor, or you will be moving.

It does not soil the deck because it goes straight into the locker. A friend of mine as a Anchor holder in the pull pit near the roller, so his system is even better.

As I said, I have used this for 20 years now, never had a problem, I know that as the current changes, the plow moves first, and sets normally, if it drags, the danforth sets again, helping the plow set also, by pulling its head down.

Again, 2 tides a day, both direction and up to 5 knots current sometimes, the current is so strong, that sometimes, my boat being light is facing a different direction than the other boats!!!

Everyone got used to see my boat facing weird directions, and stay away from me!! Ehehehehehe

I hope this helps.

Please remember this is my technique, others may have theirs, and their opinions, and what not….that may vary with conditions, sea beds and winds…

Alex

"The Portagee Cowboy"

PS..Craig I don't want a new anchor (VBG)

Last edited by Giulietta; 07-24-2007 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-24-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for that very well written clarification. I now see that this setup is adaptable to a number of adverse conditions - but more so for relatively long term anchorage.

Contrary to what some "contemporary" anchor salemen (and owners) preach in response to "what is the best anchor" questions, I have had unfaultering results with our 35# CQR (authentic article - not generic with those mysterious lead tips), 250 feet of 5/16" Hi-Test chain and proper powersetting. In a 40 knot gale a few weeks ago, we held fast upwind while others, anchored downwind from us, spent the night fending off their stern ends from downwind vessels.
Old 07-24-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
TB... it ain't just salesmen that don't think much of them. I have a #60 on my bow and compared to my Delta ....well there is no comparison. Same with my #35 that I inherited on my last boat. They are a lot better than Danforths in a lot of conditions but I really think they have been left behind by several competitors now. I would never spend my money on one...but there are probably more of them holding boats tonight than any other type. If it works for you in your cruising grounds...fine and no problem.
Just pointing out that as a multiple CQR owner and user...I choose other brands now.
Old 07-24-2007
Señor Member

Whatever holds your boat Cam - analogous to "love the one you're with" I suppose . . . until something better comes along. < G >
Old 07-24-2007

This is my main anchor, by the way, the one I call plow...(what do you call that in the US?) ...I would NOT use a Danforth as a main. For the record.