Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2007

aurielthirtyfour is on a distinguished road
Smile Single handers please read..

I don't imagine there are many cruisers who still use the bucket bath and wash clothes in the dinghy when it rains but this may help regardless. Hand
wringing out towels late on a winter afternoon I suffered a truly unbelievable pain in the chest. No, I didn't use the radio or my phone (don't know why) Not wanting to be found in an unkempt state, I decided to wash myself and as the hot flannel passed over my chest the pain went as fast as it arrived. Now I know zilch about medical procedures but this must be worth remembering even though its a temporary opening of the arteries it allowed me to motor sail home where I had a major heart attack a week later (fine now thanks)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I am glad you are alright now...

One thing I'd recommend is that every sailor have aspirin aboard, since it is a powerful medication when it comes to heart attacks—taking one during a suspected heart attack is a very good idea. Last October, I was on my boat and had what felt like a heart attack and did just that... turned out to be a gallbladder attack and gallstones... but that's a different story. However, the EMTs treated it as a heart attack, since many of the symptoms are so similar and there is no way, short of looking at the cardiac enzymes, to really distinguish the two.

For towels, you may want to invest in the microfiber towels, sold commonly as "hair drying" towels for the ladies, or at camping equipment stores. These towels are very light weight, and absorb a huge amount of water, but being synthetic and very thin material are very easy to wring out and dry very quickly once they are wrung out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-25-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Now that's a very scary story auriel, thanks for sharing and glad to hear of your recovery. Even people of relatively young ages suffer heart attacks - lost a long-time friend that way a couple years ago, who was in his early fifties.

Of course, I'm much younger than he was . . . but it was a wake-up call that made me realize it could happen to me as well. Incidently, my wife started keeping aspirin onboard last season, as SD suggested. It just may delay an attack while at sea.
Old 07-25-2007

sailorjim99 is an unknown quantity at this point
WOW!!

I knew you could take a small amount of asprin daily to thin blood(About a quarter pill) but to take one and have it take effect straight away is a real eye opener.

Thanks for sharing and that is going to be on my shopping list this week.

Jim.
Old 07-25-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
For towels, you may want to invest in the microfiber towels, sold commonly as "hair drying" towels for the ladies, or at camping equipment stores. These towels are very light weight, and absorb a huge amount of water, but being synthetic and very thin material are very easy to wring out and dry very quickly once they are wrung out.
Auriel, glad you're OK. Good job, turns out you just needed a bath!!!

For Heart related issues, please conatct our resident cardiac, (cardiacpaul) he can be of better assistance, he also surveys boats as a second job, and inside looks like Darth Vader.

Jaysus SD...the man posts about his "bildge pump" having a "short" and you sell him bath towels!!!!!!!!!!

Nice one on the Aspirin though.
Old 07-25-2007

capttb is on a distinguished road
Everyone complaining of chest pain is given a children's asprin ( chewable, low dose) by paramedics here, it's part of the protocol. It's considered to be something that can't hurt the situation and has been proven to be of benefit.
Old 07-25-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
The past few years of my life have been a medical nightmare. First came cancer, then surgery to remove the tumors. A litte more then 10 months later, a massive heart attack, triple bypass, congestive heart failure and 50% damage to my heart. It hasn't been fun. Oh, and I also had gallbladder issues and surgery, but I didn't think it felt anything like a heart attack. In fact, a heart attack may be the worst pain I've ever felt. I take a 325 mg aspirin everyday. This is or can be a miracle drug. Early 2006 while in a doctor's office, I had a small stroke. I've been told the aspirin, helped me not have any lasting damage due to the stroke. Knowing what I know now, I wish I started taking an aspirin a day years ago.
Old 07-25-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
I take one aspirin daily - even keep a bottle in my office desk drawer.
Old 07-25-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I wrote a long writeup on this, but deleted it because I am not a physician and do not want to relay any pesonal bias or bad information. I will give way to any physician advice.

First, it is my guess that the hot towels acted as a vasodilator. THat is basically what Nitro does, which we carry on board.

If there is a physician available here, I would appreciate their input on the use of aspirin FOR A CRUISER. I am against it, unless you are a coastal/lake sailor or within 24 hours of help, due to its side effect of making bleeding difficult to stop. Although the potential for a heart attack is always there, so is the potential to break a rib or cause some other type of internal (or external) bleeding, which would be just as dangerous to the cruiser.

We have always carried Nitro on my boat for "heart attack" issues. I carry aspirin too... but I would be concerned about the daily use of it for a cruiser.

I am interested in others thoughts.

- CD

PS We had a real problem with keeping Nitro long term on the boat. It seems to be very moisture sensitive. You will need to double bag it and find a way to keep the moisture out... maybe a silica gel or something... if you ever need to get into it.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-25-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
I too would like to hear the right information, as I have been told by others that you shouldnt take asprin daily unless you are in your mid 50s as it will cause liver damage in the long term. confused.

The pain in the chest could have been the chest hairs being ripped out by the twisted cold towel.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic