Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2002

Horizonlight is on a distinguished road
Using My Computer Onboard

Has anyone experienced using spray epoxy on a computer motherboard to prevent curodsion? I have heard someone doing this but never heard the end result. I am interested in putting my computer onboard for fulltime use while at dock. Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2002

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road

Computer boards can heat up quite a bit depending on the model. I don''t think this would be good for the epoxy coating.

Not sure why you think you need to waterproof it if down below but...computers are very very sensitive to water damage. If you felt yours would be vulnerable... you might consider just using a light plastic wrap to protect it.

There are notebook computers made to be resistant to shock and water. The Panasonic ToughBook comes to mind.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-11-2002

JerryO39 is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I am investigating the same thing.
My friend is a ''ham" radio operator and is trying to find the name of this place that
will coat your computer or radio insides
so that they are safe from any environment.
Soon as I get news I will post it here.
Regards,
JerryO
Old 03-11-2002

sailnby is on a distinguished road

There are a multitude of board coating products (VCI/vapor corrosion inhibitors) to reduce oxidation problems with circuits in harsh enviroments. There is something called Board Kote that would be the cheapest but least effective. Media Access in Wisconsin has something they call O2 Blocker that''s about $70 for 4oz. You spray the stuff on swabs, setting the swabs near your motherboard, HDD, etc. Get more juice every few years to keep the protection going. Cortec (in Canada) makes VCI paper that you could just wrap the computer in when you''re not using it. Check with them to make sure that wouldn''t melt something though. The stuff that is well marinized normally has a board that is beefed up and well washed in dimethylamineborane (a VCI) with mil-spec components, power supplies that are sealed inside RTV and electro/mechanics in nitrogen charged chambers. $$$ Hope this info helps a little. Greg
Old 03-12-2002

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road

Keep in mind that the keyboard is also very sensitive to water as is the screen and all connectors.

Best of luck
Old 03-12-2002

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road

If you decide to coat the main system and other boards keep in mind future expansion. You may coat the contacts in your PCI, AGP and SDRAMM sockets. This would not be good. I would suggest you ensure no overspray gets in these areas.

For keyboards please remember that they only cost under $10 ... they are disposable. There are some products used in industrial environments to keep the keyboards clean. We like to call these plastic/rubber keyboard covers "keyboard condoms". this will keep most inadvertant spillage out of the keyboard.

As I cannot imaging having a full desktop computer in the limited confines of a boat I am assuming that you are using a laptop. If you do not wish to buy an expensive durable unit why not get a nearly obsolete used model. These are cheap and will run most internet, spreadsheet, etc... needs quite well. Since you are at dock you can get one that has a bad battery and use shore power... this will make it possible to get one really cheap with a bad battery pack.

If you are keeping the computer on the boat I think you should be more worried about "shock" damage from the typical pounding a boat takes than corrosion. Many hard disk drives do not like being pounded.

Just some thoughts. I would think your best bet is a laptop and keep it in your car when your boat is on the water...

Regards,

Mike
Old 03-16-2002

Peter_pan is on a distinguished road

Hi
I''ve had a desk top onboard for 4 years now. Never had a problem. Have even left it for 3 month while gone to Alaska. Still no problems. The worst thing about computers is that in a couple of years they''re obsolete and need to be upgraded anyway. The best thing to do is get a cd burner and back-up everything on cd and your covered if it crashes. Computers arn''t that hard to fix anyway.
From my desk on Never, Never, Land
P.P.