Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Flying Lateen

I was reading threw GOB and I found this short tid bit about a guy who designed this new rig on a all but dead Cal 20; This guy was at a side tie down the dock form us in Dana Point and although we said Hi numerous times, we only spoke once.

I always thought this rig was slick and the ease of sailing it was notable, literally took less than 5 mins to depart

check it out

http://www.flyinglateen.com/welcome.html

I don't know this is considered spamming, if it is, let me know and I'll delete it

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-29-2007

US25 is on a distinguished road
That's pretty cool, but I bet it would take a while to get proficient. I'd like to see it in action.

And I certainly wouldn't consider this spam, (unless you're trying to sell me one?)
Old 07-29-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
How do you reef it? How much engineering goes into retrofitting the three poles that support the flying lateen rig???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-29-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
SD, It's a roller furl into the main spar, as far as retro fitting, I don't know that you would want to retro fit, but designing into a new boat ??, maybe

Also, if I remember correctly, he had a little elec kicker on it too, though most of the time he just sail from the dock

One other thing I remember about this rig was, When the wind was howling, this rig didn't slap halyards, but it sounded like a ghost, kinda like blowing over the top of a coke bottle................really spooky

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 07-29-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A lot of the in-mast mainsail furling systems moan and howl too...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-29-2007
SeŮor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
That rig kinda reminds me of Nonsuch's wishbone design . . . although the additional luff spar seems to add much more weight aloft than typical mains.
Old 07-29-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
I was reading threw GOB and I found this short tid bit about a guy who designed this new rig on a all but dead Cal 20; This guy was at a side tie down the dock form us in Dana Point and although we said Hi numerous times, we only spoke once.

I always thought this rig was slick and the ease of sailing it was notable, literally took less than 5 mins to depart

check it out

http://www.flyinglateen.com/welcome.html

I don't know this is considered spamming, if it is, let me know and I'll delete it

Wow...another guy that "invented the wheel"....

Call it inovative , but not revolutionary....What's wrong with one mast??? worked for 2000 years elsewhere....see here

calims claims claims

What is new about this?
Old 07-29-2007

Giu, anyway you look at it, this rig,on this particular boat, is a slick setup.

Imagine this designed into bigger curisers, now that would really be slick

In a couple days when we get to our new slip I'll post pictures of a rig that will really turn your heads, it's a 40 foot cat with foils instead of sails, the main foil even has a flap, just like that on a airplane.

Last edited by poopdeckpappy; 07-29-2007 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-29-2007

txmatt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
What is new about this?
I would guess this would eliminate the inefficiency on one of the tacks which is inherent with the lateen rig.
Old 07-29-2007
Telstar 28

PDP-

The problem with foils instead of sails, is that reefing them is really tough...

Telstar 28
New England