Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2007

RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
Turks/Caicos input needed.....

Just got a call from a friend who wants to fly me over to their house on Provo for a few weeks next month to over-see a bit of a remodel. Anyone been there in the last few years? The best and the worst of it? I'm already familiar with the temps, so I don't need to hear how freakin' warm it'll be next month. Just looking for any insider tips on people, culture, must-sees, food, cocktails, beaches and maybe grab a little 20 foot something to putz around in for a few hours. In between work of course..........

Thanx,

Rick

Last edited by RickLaPaz; 07-29-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-29-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
We were there 3 years ago. Pretty cosmopolitan place with 747's flying in daily full of scuba diving tourists. Several upscale beach resorts and plenty of excellent restaurants and USA quality grocery shopping. Reefs are great for Scuba and snorkeling. If you can get around to the south side of the island (sapodilla bay if I recall correctly) it is more pristine and lots of coral heads to dive on...but not as spectacular as the north side. People are fine. Check out Turtle Cove Marina as there are lots of charters etc. baseed there. have fun!
Old 07-29-2007

JustMeUC is on a distinguished road
Sapodilla bay you need a boat or a 4 wheel drive and even then, I wouldn't go... did it once, too bumpy for me.

Definitely check out Turtle Cove Marina, a restaurant there had a rib dinner on Wednesdays or Thursday evenings that was just terrific, plus they had some kind of KILLER drink that must have had more alcohol in it than you would normally find in 6 drinks... you've been warned!!

Coral Gardens is about halfway up the island and has walk out snorkeling that was pretty good. They also had a great open air restaurant that was great should you decide to eat out one evening.

There was a conch shack, sorry I don't remember the name but it is NOT "the conch shack" anyway, it is beside the beach in Blue Hills that had the best conch salad I have ever eaten... really really yummy.

T&C is one of my favorite places, it really is beautiful and nice waters. Like Camaraderie said, very cosmopolitan very British. Reminds me a lot of Bermuda but warmer. If your friend has a house there, that's great cause the lodging there is outrageous.....
Old 07-29-2007

BADG is on a distinguished road
Beautiful waters; hideous inland; a lot of trash about. Some fine restaurants and in 2004 there was still some off the beaten path places to explore (Malcom's Beach I think it was called) but I heard they are developing that area. Snorkeling is phenomenal and you don't have follow the crowd to see the best of it, just ask around and the locals will turn you on to some very fine and very private snorkel spots.

Your friend with the house there will know more than any of us whithout. I'm sure he'll show you some good places. Here is a link to a great forum on the place: http://www.caribline.com/travel-foru...forum.php?f=22 and the link for the archives from the early days of the same forum: http://www.caribline.com/cgi-bin/agn...TandcAgnesHTML