Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2002

KIKO is on a distinguished road
When does BigRed56 get out of jail?

DENR,

Why don''t we just start a new message on each board about this (Jeff_H) subject??

Romeo (without Juliet)

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2002

KPBaker is on a distinguished road

I don''t know what all other boards Jeff_H responds to, but one of the main reasons I come to this site is to read his responses.I had a teacher one time that was quite fond of saying " don''t believe what I''m telling you, go look it up in the book yourself and then you''ll know! " I''ve done just that with some of the information Jeff_H has provided on numerous subjects,only to find what the teacher already knew.
Old 03-22-2002

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road

I DISAGREE.

I do not think it benefits anyone to begin attacking any single indivdual, especially someone who puts obvious effort into their reponses to others requesting information. Doing so only degenerates this board and will make it useless for those who want to learn and share ideas.

I am for good hearted ribbing as much as anyone. But lets not get personal and denegrate someone for their effort. Thats just going to make this a board no one is interested in.

Now.. back to sniping at Big Red. ;o)
Old 03-22-2002

Yep....
Old 03-22-2002

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road

I too value these responses. Maybe Jeff does post a lot but that is probably because he is interested in helping and has knowledge.

There was a site that was yanked on Yachtingnet.com due to degrading comments and sniping. Let''s keep this BBoard clean and useful.

I think the last thing any of us wants is a BBoard where everyone is afraid to post because they think they will get flamed!

Thanks

Mike
Old 03-22-2002
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point

If you can''t stand the heat get out of the galley. That said, my mother once told me "if you can''t say something nice about someone don''t say anything at all"

The subject''s posts are more like a DRY college lecture rather than a KISS response. I''d also rather beat up the PoPI ARRRHHH! No mass!
Old 03-22-2002

1) Nobody is attacking Jeff. His comments are welcomed, but they are too long, and some of them sound like ……….., like the story of being thrown overboard at night, (see: stupid sailor tricks). That sounds like a Jerry Lewis thing !
2) His technical comments are great, but boring and always I. Then I, and I , if I….
Some of the explanations sound (not the technical contents obviously) like the guy is looking stuff up in books and answering, just to look smart. He sounds like one of those “dock sailors” that own a boat, now a lot, and a lot of people, but just seat in their boats drinking coffee and never sail, and, when you do, always criticize you.

3) KPBAKER,

If you read everything after you have been taught, just to confirm, please tell me.

Why do you need the teacher, if you read, or why do you read if you have the teacher.

Are you one of those that in collision course doesn’t know where to go Port or Starboard ???

Where do you sail ???? So I stay way.

Jeff, don’t take it personnaly, but just try to be brief, and let others reply, without contamination. You’re starting to sound like on of those women that you can’t get away from, and run into you all the time!!

Finally it is not my intent to "destroy" the board.
But a board is just that. You say what you want. That''s it.

Old 03-22-2002

dhartdallas is on a distinguished road

Ahoy, Romeo. In my opinion, you are completely out of line and you comments are indefensible either in protocol or in fact. Jeff doesn''t need any one to defend him and I doubt that he will dignify your attack on him with response. However, I will give my opinion as I am on the board and very familiar with his work.
"His comments are too long..." Relative to what and according to whom? One should say, after such a statement, "in my opinion". His comments range from one sentence to a full treatment and I find he chooses full treatment judiciously.
His technical comments are not boring in any regard to me, or to anyone else who is interested. It is disinterest that leads to boredom.
I have never found his comments to sound as though he were "looking stuff up", and I have never found him to sound as if he were trying to sound smart. I don''t know how long you have been around or how much of his stuff you have read, but I can assure you that no one has a library that will cover the range of his knowledge and experience with different boats, maintenance, seamanship, marinas, sailing grounds, cruising, racing, and anything else on which he comments.
If you derive that he is a dock sailor from your reading of his comments, then you do not know what a dock sailor is, in my opinion, and thus do not know what a sailor is.
I have never heard him criticize anyone. I have seen many people solicit his opinion and many thank him for his contributions.
"Nobody is attacking Jeff...they are too long... stupid sailor tricks... Jerry Lewis thing... one of those dock sailors...just sit in their boats...never sail...always criticize you...let others reply without contamination...like one of those women that you can''t get away from..." The hell you aren''t attacking him! And then you have the arrogance to say, "don''t take it personaly".
We know it is "not [your] intent to destroy the board". Your intent was clear as light.
Some suggestions:
One critiques the problem, the issue, or the behavior. One doesn''t attack the person. One doesn''t get personal. It is rude.
Skip his work if you don''t like it.
You will not destroy the board. You are incapable of it. Jeff is the resident commentator, and the hinge pin that keeps it alive, vital, thriving, and productive.
See a counselor about your jealousy. Don''t try to expropriate anothers earned reward. Jeff has earned his place on this board the old fashioned way. When one feels inferior to another, he should try to raise himself to the higher level, not try to knock the other down.
Your device failed to get you the attention you sought.
Learn objective analysis, and comment from legitimate conclusion.
Learn to write, or don''t draw attention to your self that way. It is sad, and embarrassing for you.
You owe Jeff an apology.
Old 03-22-2002

dhartdallas is on a distinguished road

Ahoy, BigRed. Welcome back ye yard hauling, deck stalking, swill sucking bucket o'' salted tack. As to yer mood, get ye over it. I recommend some hot buttered dark Jamaican rum fer yer ailments, body and spirit. Avast ye devil! Be gone from me mate! Keel haul the .astard, Red!
Old 03-23-2002

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road

Romeo,

Jeff can defend himself but I think you simply do not know anything of his background. Jeff H was a professional marine archetect and designed the kinds of boats we are talking about. He may be, perhaps, the only true yachting industry person on this board and thus has a unique perspective. I do not know Jeff personally, but we are both from the Annapolis area. He has been very generous with his own time in writing me and others here with some very good advice. Jeff has owned, cruised and raced aboard many boats over a period of decades. From what I gather, he races once or twice a week in addition to cruising the boat he just got after a long search, a Farr 38.

I, for one, appreciate someone who is willing to put the effort into posting a well informed and carefully thought out answer and who can take a bashing... on TECHNICAL merits. Jeff has a well known biased towards light, modern hulls, but he says so, for the most part and it makes a good balance to those of us who are affectionado''s of heavy displacement offshore boats.

Ignorant comments directly towards someone personally have no place here.