Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2002

colehankins is on a distinguished road
When does BigRed56 get out of jail?

Ya''ll want to find a real air bag, look no further than the sailboat.com mid size boards for Ladonna Buback. NOW theres a wealth of no information with fluff and fluff by-products
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2002

Snap is on a distinguished road

I, for one, thoroughly enjoy Jeff_Hís posts. I certainly have not found them to be too long since some of the topics he speaks to do not lend themselves to brief discourse. Personally, I think I have learned more from his posts than I have from any other single source in the 30 or so years Iíve given to sailing. I eagerly await his writing a book that he indicates he may some day pen.

Dryness, I suppose, is like boredom, found in the eye of the beholder and simply a state of mind entirely controllable by the individual concerned.

If anyone wishes to continue to revile Jeff_H, perhaps he should avail himself of a short course in the art form as presented in essay by Liang Shih-ch''iu and translated from the Chinese by William B. Pettus (http://www.duke.edu/~km13/revile.html) and, at the very least, learn to deliver his strike(s) with a bit more enhanced refinement.

Snap
Old 03-23-2002

KPBaker is on a distinguished road

Romeo: Not surprisingly, you totally missed the point I was trying to make concerning Jeff''s expertise.Perhaps if you spent more time reading,and less time criticising, you would be a better sailor for it?
Old 03-23-2002

Pangaea is on a distinguished road

People ask for imformation and Jeff (among others) supplys it! I don''t think it matters where it comes from. I happen to think he genuinely knows it. His post at times does sound like it comes from a book,but he is a writer... right? All that matters is that his imformation is correct.

Dennis L.
Old 03-23-2002

sailorman_10 is on a distinguished road

To Romeo and any others out there who do not like JEFF H''s commentairies, why do you just skip them. It doesn''t take hardly any effort at all to just roll past to the next post. Or are you afraid you might miss a chance to learn something.

Randy
Old 03-23-2002

thomasstone is on a distinguished road

I agree with Dennis, while I may not be in the camp of light weight egg beaters, I respect his opinion and for that matter everyone else that takes the time to post or respond. While we all have different opinons on boats, gear,etc. I think Jeff speaks up more than anybody else. If you dont agree with an opinon speak up and say so the dialouge is extremely entertaining, sometimes informative whether you agree or not.
thomas
Old 03-23-2002

dhartdallas is on a distinguished road

Ahoy, Pangaea. We all learn much of what we know from books. If I ask you a question and you can answer it, will you not answer me because you learned it from a book? I hope not. You are right, it doesn''t matter where it comes from.

I think the evidence is in. Judging by the overwhelming support in favor of Jeff, I recommend the Grand Jury not indict and the case be dismissed so we can be done with it and get on with what we are doing. Romeo will learn or not learn from the experience. That is up to him. I wish him well. I hope he learned from it. I hate to see anyone step into it the way he did. dhd.
Old 03-23-2002

KIKO is on a distinguished road

PLEASE
Why not let it go?
This is a sail site, not GERALDO!

Just let it go.

Jaques
Old 03-23-2002

dhartdallas is on a distinguished road

I''m with you France. I''m done with it. dhd
Old 03-23-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Am I free to go now?

Thanks to my fans for the kind remarks.

For the record:

I simply come here to learn, and to try to be helpful. I consider what I do here to be the internet equivilent to passing a line to someone coming into their slip. I come here for the comradery, the internet equivelient of a yacht club bar. I come here, to return the favor to those who generously helped me throughout my sailing life.

I don''t consider myself an expert, but more an amatuer with a fair amount of knowledge in some aspects of our sport. I am actually a practicing architect (buildings)with my own firm. At various time in my younger life I have worked as a yacht designer and in yacht repair yards. I was closely tied to my Mother and Stepfather''s boat building and importing business but was not "in the industry". I have written articles on sailing and architecture but I don''t consider myself a writer. Some of what I post here comes from articles that I have written for other venues.

I do have an extensive sailing library, but for the past three years it has been in storage while my wife and I have been buying a piece of waterfront property and building our house. I hope to move into the new house in June or July and get my library back. I do occasionally research answers but in most cases that research is to confirm numbers and details that I can''t quite recall rather than whole topics.

I sail a lot. I am probably out on the water something like 100 days a year. (I was out today for a great sail in winds between 15 and 25 knots.) In a given year, it is not unusual for me to sail on a dozen or more different boats and to be on maybe a dozen more. But it is a hobby for me, nothing more.

As to being wordy, I am guilty as charged. I do most of my posting either over breakfast or during a lunch break. I am typing as quickly as I can and rarely take the time to edit. (I am a little dyslexic and really not a great typist and I am sometimes appalled when I read back some of my posts.) As Herbert Hoover once said, "I can give you a long speech in a hurry but a short concise speech will take me a lot longer."

To those that I bore, I really am sorry. And to those who read my posts and enjoy them, few things make me happier to hear.

Respectfully,
Jeff

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.