Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2007

CliffL is on a distinguished road
Here's my plan...there's a house for sale in Eastport...asking $450K...can put 100K into her and then sell for 900K +....shhhhh...don't tell anyone. Next boat is already paid for!
Old 07-31-2007

BrianInIraq is on a distinguished road
Heh. Who cares as long as yer havin' fun? I just bought a new Bene too - if I wanted speed I woulda bought a J.

And where's this $450K house in Eastport???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfriend View Post
two words, two numbers

santa cruz 52

or is that one word and one number?
MR. BLUTARSKY... ZERO POINT ZERO.

Christ. Seven years of college down the drain. Might as well join the f@cking Peace Corps.

Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
Germans?
Forget it, he's rolling.

Sorry for the hijack....I just noticed BFs new avatar.
Old 07-31-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Cliff,

Here is the proper method to fix your irritations:

1) Remember, it is waterline that makes a boat go faster. See, even a moron sailing that thing can outrun you.

2) If you don't feel comfortable with #1, then do what I do and start your engine and punch it past him. Cheat.

3) If you don't feel comfortable with 1-2, then do what I also do: Cut him off. You have right of way.

4) If you don't feel comfortable with 1-3, then do what I always do to the Sea Rays and others when the notion hits me: "USCG, USCG, USCG, this is the Portugese Sailing Vessel Giulietta. THere is a ______ vessel at ________ coordinates. He looks like a terrorist. I suggest a prompt boarding." Make sure you wave as you pass him with half the USCG, Customs, and US Navy boarding his boat. Remind them that he has to have a Waste Disposal Plan on board at 39+ feet!!!

Now, keep the boat and whatever you do, don't trim the sails if it looks like someone has a faster boat. That way when they pass you, you can look up and say, "If I only trimmed my sails, I would kick their butt. But my grilling is more important. Those bunch of losers."

Now, feel better??

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-31-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Cliff,
I have the same boat and the same rig, remember.
I hate to say it, but its not the boat. I do just fine with other boats in and around my size and sail area. In fact I have had other people comment about just how well we sail. Now, if your talking a 50footer with maylar sails and all the bells and whistles, than hats off to him. If that is what your after and you really want the 36.7First Series, than be prepared to take out another note on your boat. I seem to remember how amazed you were at the cost of your cruising 361, and now you want a First Series? The sails alone will cost you 10k every other season. Your 361 is a good boat, just not a race boat.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 07-31-2007

US25 is on a distinguished road
Slow boat? Are you kidding me? Boats like yours pass me up all day long. But I have come accept that my boat is like an old VW Bug; nothing special, but if you keep it clean and polished, everyone says, "Hey nice little boat" as the fly by you in the fast lane, and that's good enough for me.
Old 07-31-2007
Oathkeepers member

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffL View Post
Sapperight...ok, so you're spot on too. But still...as an ex-fighter pilot guy, with current fighter guys and their wives on board...who are saying..."wow, must suck to be slow..." kinda hurts. I hear what you're saying though and am mostly posting tounge-in-cheek...where's the beer???

Let me tell you a story that maybe you can relate to you and your boat ok? We all fly about 2 hours out, 2 hours back. That has roughly been the flights length in the past 30 years. (Some more and less obviously right?) At one time I thought 90Kts in a Huey was fast, then I started flying the Hawk (H60) and thought Man, 150 is smokin' then C550 Citations at 380Kts thinking boy, I am in the big leagues now. Then finally the Lear 35 and the DC9 at 500-550 KTAS..you can imagine the rest right? And you know something, you will still be gone about 2 hours out then 2 hours back in ALL of them. You just go further sometimes then others. I hope that helps. You know what I fly now? I fly an old S61 doing 120 and loving life as a SAR dude. It’s an attitude thing. I wold love to have your boat by the way.
Jerry

A Kings Trade
Dewey Lamdin

Money can’t buy you happiness.
But it buys you a big enough yacht to
sail you right up to it!
(Johnny Depp)

Last edited by jerryrlitton; 07-31-2007 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-31-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Cliff–

Hate to break it to ya, but I could probably smoke you in my little 28' boat... But it's not a fair comparison, since I'm not hauling all that metal around. If you really want speed, get a decent trimaran...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffL View Post
Ok, I've had enough beer and rum that I'm struggling to find some of the keys...but here goes...it has been a while.

Here's the deal. I love my boat. It's my first. A 361 Beneteau. Probably bought too much for my first "owned" boat...made the same mistake with a woman...but that's another story!

Anyways...I'm out on the Chesepeake, sailing back towards Annapolis to drop the hook, have some drinks, and burn some steak (yes CD I bought a grill for the boat). OK, so I'm thinking I'm the sh.., and then, all of the sudden, from my port side...I get passed by another sailboat... like I'm standing still. BASTARD. WTFO. He's ruined my entire evening. The boat is 50footish or so. I'm thinking, "OK, maybe I need to trim the sails"...no go, guy and his gal are still kicking my butt. I should have listened to JeffH about in mast furling.... So now I'm feeling like I've got a slow boat. It's like realinzing that your kid is ugly. I checked the other guy to see if he's running his motor...nope.

What to do?? I guess it's time to start looking for a faster boat, no? Or learn how to trim better!

Cliff

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-31-2007

conrat66 is on a distinguished road
Think yor slow....... in that rig least of yor problems TIC ha ha just a bit of a jest cant help watch out for grampytoes and the whole idea is to just have fun and I would rather be sailing on your rig than typing on this one DCS damn couch sailors' Conrad/sv/Sabrina
Old 07-31-2007
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point
I pass boats like yours all the time with my little 34 footer, I don't have a dance floor in the aft cabin like your houseboat but she sails sweet! It wouldn't have mattered had you bought the Hunter or the Catalina, they too are built to be used as marina queens rather than sailing vessels. Ya gets what's ya pay for!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.