Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2007

dodgeboatguy is on a distinguished road
to be a marine surveyor

Ok here is the story at this time I am a beach bum sailor stranded in the Midwest it donít get much worse and I want to spend the rest of my life as a live aboard and cruiser from time to time. Here is a little about my background I am twenty-three and am an industrial maintenance mechanic / electrician / machinist aka millwright. I have vast knowledge of mechanical engineering and a fair amount of knowledge about hydrodynamics from time working with boilers pumps and refrigeration. I have always loved the water and boats my first boat I built at age fourteen a eighteen foot wood runabout with a fourth five hp Chrysler outboard followed by a forty two foot well craft Aruba that was bought for twenty five hundred dollars and after one year and three thousand invested it was sold for seventeen thousand four hundred. A fair profit I thought. I now have a twenty two foot Macgregor and love sailing and tinkering with the boat witch I think may be the most automated 22í boat on the planet with homemade self steering and atv winches with encoders mounted on them running through a Allen Bradley plc running both main and jib halyards and the main sheet. I am working on a voice control to run the system through a laptop. So I think that I am close to being knowledgeable enough about boats and there systems to advise buyers and sellers to the conditions and expenses involved in a boat but I also know that I have a lot to learn. I have done some research an how to become a marine surveyor and not had much luck I would like to live on the gulf coast. I lived in Galveston Texas for a bit and loved it. As of yet I have not found a school that has such a curriculum and would love any ideas on how to get into this field. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Tony
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
Here is one school, not in Galveston, but it is on the Gulf. Free brochure about surveyors

Last edited by CapnHand; 08-03-2007 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-03-2007

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboatguy View Post
I am working on a voice control to run the system through a laptop.
Tony, when you get married you will find that system completely obsolete
Old 08-03-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamlicotraveler View Post
Tony, when you get married you will find that system completely obsolete
Nah, she will tell you what to tell the computer (so you won't feel obsolete/unimportant)...
Old 08-03-2007

msl is on a distinguished road
Dodgeboatguy, here is a school offering exactly what you're looking for. Good fortunes to you as you follow your dreams.
http://www.chapman.org/

msl
Old 08-03-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
dbg-

might want to pm cardiacpaul and ask him about the industry, as he is a surveyor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.