SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

crossing the Gulf Stream

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
Although the crossing isn''t that long I would like to take a small boat to the bahamas for a vacation and would appreciate anyone that can tell me whats it like... Is it friendly ?rough? If I planned a good weather day will the stream still be tough?
????????????????

#2 ·
Conditions in the Gulf Stream depend a lot on the directions of the current and the wind. I''ve crossed it in many different situations: beautiful clear weather with smooth seas and lovely sunsets, rain with 25 knots of breeze and an 8'' chop, thundersqualls, and steady breeze with two waterspouts in sight, to name a few of the variations. If the breeze sets up against the current, it can get very nasty. If you''re just hopping across to the Bahamas from Florida, your idea of waiting for the right conditions (especially the wind) makes a lot of sense.

#3 ·
troyaux, I have crossed the Gulf Stream many times on a variety of boats, all without incident.

If the wind is strong from the north, don''t go - the waves will make you feel like you are on a carnival ride gone haywire.

A wind from the S.E. would be on the nose.

A wind from the N.E. could be ok, as you need to point toward the S.E. to make your destination.

Beyond that, any other wind direction would be ok.

As I recal, on a small sailboat we pointed approxiametly 30 degree south of the destination at the start of the trip and made corrections along the way based on speed over the ground.

Do visit Bimini if you get the opportunity. A wonderful laid-back place, and not all that far away from Ft. Lauderdale.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.