Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2007

SanderO is an unknown quantity at this point
Share A Yacht

Living up in the northeast USA I have realistically 6 month sailing season and then winter lay up.

So I am thinking about the idea of wintering Shiva i the Caribe, but having a qualified and trustworthy yatchman live aboard and cruise her down there and pay all the maintenance and expenses. I would do the same in the summer up in NE.

I have even thought of actually selling a share in the boat for Nov thru Apr for use down there. She's all tricked out for offshore and live aboard in in top condition. I just hate to see her sit unused all winter.

Obviously this requires someone who can live 6 months in the caribe on a yacht and 6 months somewhere else for the summer. I would expect that the partner might want some time up north in the summer and I would do some time down there in the winter.

We would do the deliveries together each Spring and Fall and share the costs of the short haul to paint the bottom.

Does this sound like a workable concept?

jef
sv shiva
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Sounds like a great idea, but why didn't you bring it up, before I bought my boat?

Good Luck
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-03-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
This is based on what I have read rather than experience, but I would expect equivalent time in the tropics to take more of a toll on the boat. You might want to research that.
Old 08-03-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
If a captain truely loved his vessel, would he share her with another seaman? All or nothing, is how I have always felt about my boats.
Old 08-03-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Jef is that a Morgan OI?
I would be worried that the type of person you will find to do that will be very transient and not very reliable. I want to do something similar eventually, but I am going to set it up with family members(the reliable ones). Kind of a family timeshare.

Vaya con Dios
Old 08-03-2007

SanderO is an unknown quantity at this point
I would find it very hard to share my beloved yacht. It is a Contest 36s built in Holland in 1985 and I have been the only owner.

However two years ago a buddy I met while delivering a yacht to Antigua in Fall 05 suggested that he would love to live down there in the winter. He hates the cold and he has a marine biz and also a a racer. I got to love the guy and he knows an enormous amount about boats.. refers, electrics, rigging... you name it. Ironically I realized mid passage that many many years ago he fixed my refer and recharged the freon. Small world.

He is someone I feel good about doing my share a yacht with. In fact he helped me do a complete rewire... because he loves working on boats and when work was slow in winter he would come down to Shiva and wire away we did. It's all first class ABYC standards.

I have had Shiva in the Caribe for 3 winters and the sun is strong, but I didn't see it has especially hard on the boat. When you leave aboard you have a lot of time for maintenance and it was this period when I had most control over every aspect of the boat and she was in her most bristol condition.

This is like two guys sharing a girlfriend kinda... and so it would require a long enough courting period for comfort to develop. Pete, my friend went and bought a 37' yacht and is re doing her and I have done some time helping him... but I think he may just do the winter in the caribe thing on his own yacht... and he can work down there too because he is a very skilled marine "engineer".

jef
sv shiva
Old 08-03-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Sure, I would consider it with a buddy too. Just someone you can trust, at least partially, not a complete stranger, or a "professional" transient.

Vaya con Dios