SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Lessons Learned Today (Vol. 1, Ch. 1) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/35740-lessons-learned-today-vol-1-ch-1-a.html)

SEMIJim 08-05-2007 02:01 AM

Lessons Learned Today (Vol. 1, Ch. 1)

The Admiral and I went on our first sail (on our own) on our new-to-us boat today. Here is what we learned (in order):
  • The lagoon in the middle of the canal we transit has an island in it. Stay at least 20' off that island going out, as the depth rapidly changes from 8' to 3.5'. This is detrimental to the forward motion of a boat that has a 5' draft.
  • Powerboats do have their uses. (See above.)
  • When attaching lines for towing, don't make 'em real permanent-like, as you may want to get 'em off quickly.
  • Don't get your digits between a rapidly tightening line and a cleat.
  • When attaching the main halyard, make sure it's behind all the shrouds, otherwise the main, she don't go all the way up.
  • When attaching the jib sheets, get 'em outside all the lifelines and stanchions, not just most of 'em.
  • Before assuming you ran both jib sheets incorrectly: Check. Otherwise you might find yourself having untied a perfectly good jib sheet.
  • When the forecast calls for a fairly significant change in wind direction, probably be best to get out well before said change is predicted to occur, or wait until well after, for odds are good that, if you're out there in the "middle," the wind, she will go away entirely.
Nonetheless: We did sail her, we did get her up to 4-1/2 kts in light and variable winds, and we didn't break anything ;).

Jim

SimonV 08-05-2007 11:26 AM

How exciting, I am envious. May every day from now on be better than your first.

sailaway21 08-05-2007 01:33 PM

Sounds like a fairly standard initial voyage! If spouses are still speaking in pleasant tones, one could certainly call it a successful voyage. Congratulations.

Here's betting you will run aground again, but never in that same spot. Initial impressions are forever.

SEMIJim 08-05-2007 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SimonV (Post 175532)
How exciting, I am envious.

I guess "exciting" would be one way to put it :D.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SimonV (Post 175532)
May every day from now on be better than your first.

Actually, we rather enjoyed ourselves. (Well, once we got un-stuck. That was kind of touch-and-go for a bit, there.) I guess I left-out the most important "lesson learned": Even a less-than-sterling sailing adventure is far-and-away better than no sailing adventure at all :).

There were many things that went right. The Admiral did an admirable job of getting her in and out of the slip. (This despite a whole gaggle of people partying in little motor-powered inflatables right around our slip, as we were coming in. Some of whom were certainly at least mildy inebriated.) The genoa went up cleanly, which means I both packed it properly and bent it on properly. (Our boat has a Tuff Luff slotted headstay system.) And we learned a bunch of stuff w/o anybody or anything getting damaged or hurt. They say you learn more from making mistakes than getting it right, right? :)

Jim

SEMIJim 08-05-2007 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailaway21 (Post 175565)
Sounds like a fairly standard initial voyage!

LOL!

Quote:

If spouses are still speaking in pleasant tones, one could certainly call it a successful voyage. Congratulations.

Thanks :). Yup, we were good. (More due to her than I, I must admit. She's a patient woman who I almost certainly don't deserve.) After I got her tied up (the boat, not the Admiral), we high-fived each other :).

Quote:

Here's betting you will run aground again, but never in that same spot. Initial impressions are forever.

Yeah, St. Clair... well, there are plenty of opportunities, aren't there? No, probably not in that same spot again. We're going to be giving that spot wide berth ;).

Jim

teshannon 08-05-2007 02:06 PM

Well done! That's called learning. I consider it a good day if I've come back without breaking anything. I don't always have good days but then I have an excuse to go work on the boat. Good luck.
Tom

runexe 08-05-2007 02:17 PM

Powerboats can be useful

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEMIJim (Post 175502)
  • Powerboats do have their uses. (See above.)

This is a lesson we learned just yesterday. We were out on our local sailing club's Hobie Wave, sailed out to ballast bay (about an hour away from the beach we launch from), tied up on a mooring just off the reef, and promptly capsized. This was not a big deal, until another gust of wind put the mast all the way into the water and she turned turtle. The two of us were unable to make any way on righting her at that point - partially I think do to the large rock the mast was catching on. Fortunately one of the local fishing boats was nearby - and came over to laugh at us when we waved them down. They were kind enough to stop laughing long enough to give a tug on the halyard and pull the mast out of the water, at which point we were able to get her rightside up again. At least they were friendly for a bunch of powerboaters :D.

xort 08-05-2007 07:38 PM

Jim
You back on Venetian?

sailingdog 08-05-2007 11:05 PM

SEMIJim-

Couldn't have been that exciting... the word capsize wasn't mentioned.. ;)

SEMIJim 08-05-2007 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xort (Post 175641)
Jim
You back on Venetian?

Yup. Ended-up in a NSSC slip. Buddy's slips are too shallow :(. (The club re-dredges theirs, as necessary.) I'll be meeting with a member this coming weekend to get the paperwork started to join. Right now we're in the slip gratis. (Which is damn nice of of the club, I thought.)

Where are you at?

Jim