Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2007

ligal is on a distinguished road
Getting a racer to cruise

Hi! I guess I could address this to Guilletta as he seems to be the racer on this great site.
How do you get someone with a race mentality ( in sailing and in life) to slow down and just kick off his shoes and relax and smell the roses on a cruise.

Beyond what you are thinking!!!! (As a Man) I cruised he raced. Go around the marks, have a beer or two with the men and go home. Me, anchor every night, have a drink or two, a great dinner, on board or ashore, listen to music read a good book or visit with friends.
Curious!!
Sue
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2007

SanderO is an unknown quantity at this point
Sue,

All sailors it seems like to get their boats going faster. Some like to literally race and in round the marks.

I have only done one ocean "race"... the Marion Bermuda and for me it was only a safe way to get to know the ocean... off shore sailing... because I wanted to feel comfortable in taking my boat ... wherever.

I am not competitive and don't understand that head. I don't think one does change. Competition is ingrained in the American psyche... being a winner... getting ahead...

I lost interest in competitive sailing because like everything else it is so commercial and requires corporate sponsors.

The single thing that interests me about sailing is the ability to untether yourself from the mainstream. No roads... you can travel with "free energy" and to get wherever... you must rely on your own wits.

It might be fun to crew on someone's boat for a race... once every few years... but more than that is obsessive and compulsive.

jef
sv shiva
Old 08-05-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ligal View Post
Hi! I guess I could address this to Guilletta as he seems to be the racer on this great site.
How do you get someone with a race mentality ( in sailing and in life) to slow down and just kick off his shoes and relax and smell the roses on a cruise.

Beyond what you are thinking!!!! (As a Man) I cruised he raced. Go around the marks, have a beer or two with the men and go home. Me, anchor every night, have a drink or two, a great dinner, on board or ashore, listen to music read a good book or visit with friends.
Curious!!
Sue
Sue,
This problem was put to a group of the world's great philosophers some years back. After many months of intense thought they finally came up with the answer. The technical term is DIVORCE.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 08-06-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Ligal, I don't know if I have an answer for you.

With us we manage to balance things. I race 8 months a year, then cruise with the wife 4 months a year. (she is nice to me, as she owns half the boat, so she would be entiteled to 6 months cruising a year).

balance and compromise is the only thing I can come up with.

My wife does not care much for the races, in fact she says it damages the boat (she doesn't know any better)...but loves the cruising.

I love the cruising too. Don't wear pants, don't wear shoes, wakeup when you do (I sleep at anchor so what???) do the repairs as we go, play with the kids...

Has your husband try cruising?

There is a time for everything, thats how we see it in my house.

I willl be crusing again for 4 weeks on August 12th.
Old 08-06-2007

ligal is on a distinguished road
Thanks gentlemen
I cruised with my husband but he passed away 6yrs ago and have met a very nice person so I guess I will just go with the flow and see what happens.
Ca't get divorced. A Good Thing!!!!
Sue
Old 08-06-2007
Operating life w/o a net

SchoonerMISTRESS is on a distinguished road
Just my humble opinion but you might try the following:
Next time you are coming up on the buoy and he is getting ready for that fast tight turn, put on some sultry music, darn your best sexy suit, and go stand in front of him. Give him your best smile and tell him if he will pass the marker and continue on without doing the turn, he will get a special surprise. Cannot tell you how effective this has worked for me.
Kathleen
aboard
Schooner MISTRESS
Old 08-06-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchoonerMISTRESS View Post
Just my humble opinion but you might try the following:
Next time you are coming up on the buoy and he is getting ready for that fast tight turn, put on some sultry music, darn your best sexy suit, and go stand in front of him. Give him your best smile and tell him if he will pass the marker and continue on without doing the turn, he will get a special surprise. Cannot tell you how effective this has worked for me.
Kathleen
aboard
Schooner MISTRESS
Yeah right...this might get her kicked out of the boat...if mine did that, (which she doesn't, she doesn't need to) I'd get really mad...can't you understand???? If mine did that...I'd find it degrading for her...sorry.

Man are basic stupid animals, programed to have sex to reproduce (with as many females as possible, like many other animals do, except dolphins, wolves and some other animal I can't remeber now, which by our society standards today is wrong) and continue the species, protect the home and family and FIGHT!!!! FIGHT...which we can't (under normal circunstances) do nowadays, so we "fight" by racing, wanting fast cars, and compare our dicks at the piss parlour....its as simple as that....it crashes against what women want but that is the way it is...

What you have just said is exactly what I see is wrong with you "girls" in the US.....from seeing real examples.....Really..that is what is wrong with you guys in the US...for you girls, sex is like a reward for the guy..."no do what I want...no sex"....and you wonder why you have so many divorces...why guys cheat and walk away from you....vagina with out "demand" is available EVERYWHERE, for free or not!!!

I see that in you TV, in your public places, even when I speak with guys at work....all the same..Its the "moral" degardation (for you girls, because we don't mind it)...yo guys have gotten into....sex tity bars everywhere, blind date programs where the girls are only interested in blowing guys, and guys getting blown....very different for us in Europe...Sex here is a natural thing, a given when 2 people get toghether, not a "reward".....

You girls keep the guys on a short rein, not by your attributes, but by your vagina!!! Wrong..very wrong....

A successfull mariage or relationship is not "vagina on demand"...just like the "headache sydrome" you girls have in the US....

If my wife blackmailed me with her vagina....I would have long been divorced....

Last edited by Giulietta; 08-06-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-06-2007
Operating life w/o a net

SchoonerMISTRESS is on a distinguished road
Wow!
There is no leash on this boat, and it is never held over his head. It ain't about sex, it's about enjoying your partner. Now I certainly would not try this when a race is at stake, but remember she wants to help him enjoy cruising. He doesn't always need to be racing and I assure you I clearly understand what a successful marriage is.
You seem a little pent up. Good thing you start cruising soon.
Kathleen
aboard
Schooner MISTRESS
Old 08-06-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
Yeah right...this might get her kicked out of the boat...if mine did that, (which she doesn't, she doesn't need to) I'd get really mad...can't you understand???? If mine did that...I'd find it degrading for her...sorry.

Man are basic stupid animals, programed to have sex to reproduce (with as many females as possible, like many other animals do, except dolphins, wolves and some other animal I can't remeber now, which by our society standards today is wrong) and continue the species, protect the home and family and FIGHT!!!! FIGHT...which we can't (under normal circunstances) do nowadays, so we "fight" by racing, wanting fast cars, and compare our dicks at the piss parlour....its as simple as that....it crashes against what women want but that is the way it is...

What you have just said is exactly what I see is wrong with you "girls" in the US.....from seeing real examples.....Really..that is what is wrong with you guys in the US...for you girls, sex is like a reward for the guy..."no do what I want...no sex"....and you wonder why you have so many divorces...why guys cheat and walk away from you....vagina with out "demand" is available EVERYWHERE, for free or not!!!

I see that in you TV, in your public places, even when I speak with guys at work....all the same..Its the "moral" degardation (for you girls, because we don't mind it)...yo guys have gotten into....sex tity bars everywhere, blind date programs where the girls are only interested in blowing guys, and guys getting blown....very different for us in Europe...Sex here is a natural thing, a given when 2 people get toghether, not a "reward".....

You girls keep the guys on a short rein, not by your attributes, but by your vagina!!! Wrong..very wrong....

A successfull mariage or relationship is not "vagina on demand"...just like the "headache sydrome" you girls have in the US....

If my wife blackmailed me with her vagina....I would have long been divorced....

HEHEHEHEH!!! You go Katleen!! That was better than a photoshop!! You got him ruffeled up now!! HAHAH!!

I could say something... but I won't. Well, you know what... nope. I ain't sayin nothin. Where is sailaway when we need him??? HEHE!!

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-06-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Kathleen...I'm disappointed in you..a MISTRESS without a leash?? (G)