SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Commodore 26 information

12K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  tngunmaker 
#1 ·
I have inherited an Commodore 26 (maybe Commodore 269) and need information, particularly specifications. This boat was built in 1982 -- that's about all I know. Thanks--

#4 ·
Commodore

Hello,

I just purchased a Commodore 26 and am having a hard time locating any history, specs etc. on the boat. Would you mind sharing what information you have as well as any links for additional information?

Thanks in advance!

I am quite familiar with the 1983 version of the Commodore 26 (actually T-26) and its history, constructuon etc. I have restored one. Be happy to answer questions as best I can.

#8 ·
They are truly rock-solid, quality boats. Had mine for 3 years with no trouble. The fiberglass was hand laid in Pine Island by true craftsmen using a Columbia mold. Commodore took the mold and upgraded the features below decks and a full 6' headroom. I have some great woodwork in mine. No leaks to speak of and she sails remarkably well considering the shallow draft. Keep in mind she has a full keel so that helps any slippage. Commodores are by no means a racing boat, but for a weekender you just can't beat the comfort and shallow draft.

#11 ·
Isn't that boat simply a rehash of the Columbia T-26? Someone bought the moulds when Columbia went down and kept the boat in production?

#12 ·
SloopJB that's one way to describe the Commodore 26... look like an very experienced sailor...for me... since I'm a newbie, I'm just trying to learn anything I can about this boat. Are you familiar with the original Columbia's? Any idea why they would change the rigging to fractional headsail with a loose footed mainsail? Appreciate anything you can add to the knowledge base...What kind of boat do you sail?
Tks Mac6464

#13 ·
I owned a Columbia 43 for 9 years so I'm familiar with their construction methods. I am not personally familiar with yours, only from published info.

I have no idea why they would change the rig - maybe to make it easier to handle?

I currently own a Fortune 30 cutter.

#15 ·
It's not a racer - look at the picture on my signature. :) It could be singlehanded but two is better. It was designed as a minimum offshore boat for one or two.

As to deck gear, if I was doing that with new gear I'd use Garhauer - very solid and well priced. They also have a very good rep for customer service.

When I'm looking for gear though I tend to hunt up stuff at consignment shops and on Craigslist rather than just ordering it - I love a bargain.

#25 ·
Yes, I have purchased a 1983 Commodore T 26 and I'm having problems figuring out where the drain from the sink and ice box is or where it dumps. Also we have water coming up in the floor around a plastic screw pipe plug under the steps. Any info you can give us would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.