Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2007

PilotMike is on a distinguished road
If I may, and I'll preface this by saying please don't take this the wrong way (or as my dad used to say, "This will hurt me more than it will hurt you")...

The boat has a weight limit not a weight suggestion. You should respect that limit.

You should also learn two very important skills before taking passengers out. One is how to right the boat when you capsize, and the other is crew overboard procedures. To do otherwise is irresponsible of the captain.

I don't mean to be a buzzkill, but the sea (small lakes included) is unforgiving and you don't have to be knocked down rounding the horn to have a bad day in a sailboat.

Please have fun, enjoy your new boat and enjoy learning your new rewarding hobby, but you'll have more fun longer if it's done safely.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2007

Pesky is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the replies guys -

It was in an inlet, and yes, there was a tide we were against too.
I chose the location for it's safe location, as it is fairly sheltered and quite shallow - almost ruined my newly made daggerboard!! Well, took the paint off parts of it - oh well, I'll probably fix it up after the Summer.

From a safety point, we all wore PFA's, with whistles and had a paddle, despite the water probably not much above waist deep for the most part, but I appreciate your concern.

I ended up just pulling the boat back after 3 hours of 'messing about'. That took all of 30 mins - shows how little progress we made!

Both kids are excellent swimmers. In fact, I'm proud to say that my youngest (11) saved a classmates life this year during a pool field trip - actually saw him on the bottom of the deep end with bubbles coming out of his mouth and dove down, brought him to the surface where lifeguards got him breathing again!

Back to the sailing - after reading the replies, I'm convinced the weight was the problem. I should have thrown one of 'em overboard I guess!

One more question... If you try to sail within 45 degrees of wind, what happens? Maybe I was trying to sail at 40 degrees!
Old 08-09-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
I have a Snark also and have also been out with 2 kids in it, but thery are smaller than yours. Are you sure your "newly made daggerboard" is the right size and is rigid enough?
When you point too high, you will stop moving forward and wind and current will move you. It is generally not a subtle change; you should notice.
I do not encourage anyone to ignore sasfety ratings, but I do think the Snark's is rather conservative. I had my two boys and a fair amount of gear with me in it in light winds on a local lake and I crusied out and around and back to the car on a day where the skiff at the Sunsfish rental place was making lots of trips to tow people back up wind.
Old 08-09-2007

Pesky is on a distinguished road
The daggerboard was made from this Castlecraft email:

The dimensions for the Super Snark are as follows:
Daggerboard - wooden
8-1/2" X 30" X 1/2" thick, 2" W @ top

with a full rad. on the bottom.