SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Noob question re. overloaded sailing? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/35899-noob-question-re-overloaded-sailing.html)

Pesky 08-08-2007 09:09 PM

Noob question re. overloaded sailing?

Hi all,

Thought someone might offer some help.
I am learning to sail in a Snark. I went out with my two kids and so exceeded the weight limit of 310lbs!

Although we were a bit crowded, it wasn't too bad, but I seemed to have problems moving into the wind!

We had a light wind (3-5mph) and were tacking across it, but were moving slowly across to our 'destination'. The problem though, was that we were being pushed back (in the direct direction of the wind) and ended up pushed to shore everytime!
Yes, this was my first time out!
Next time I will try on my own.
Can I expect to actually move forward with just me in the boat?
The cap. is 310lbs, I am 190lbs.
Help!

Pesky

sailingdog 08-08-2007 09:26 PM

did you have the daggerboard in??

Pesky 08-08-2007 09:28 PM

Yes :)

It was like "1 step forward, 10 steps back"!

danjarch 08-08-2007 09:33 PM

Having owned a snark, I'd bet money that you didn't have enough way on to make the tack. With only you in the boat, you should be able to pick up more speed. I sailed my snark overloaded more then a few times, but there was usually more then 3 to 5 Kts. When ever it was that light, she just couldn't get up to speed to tack worth a damn.

chris_gee 08-08-2007 09:46 PM

Your speed would be inversely proportional to the weight, and the drag would increase. Slower speed more leeway and less close to the wind.

USCGRET1990 08-08-2007 09:51 PM

..huh...and I thought overloaded sailing was having too many cold ones...

camaraderie 08-08-2007 10:01 PM

I owned a Snark and weigh more than you...you need a stiff breeze to get her moving and going to windward is not the strong point of the boat...but they are lots of fun!

uspirate 08-08-2007 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaraderie (Post 177311)
I owned a Snark and weigh more than you...you need a stiff breeze to get her moving and going to windward is not the strong point of the boat...but they are lots of fun!

is that your snark in your avitar?
I bet with just you in the boat you will be able to make descent headway. then after you've mastered that, take your crew with you!

sanctuarysam 08-08-2007 11:09 PM

uhm..depending where you were sailing the current could have been a factor..then again,if this was a lake outing.. in the immortal words of Emily Litella.."Nevermind"

camaraderie 08-08-2007 11:12 PM

USP..yep...that is the new ketch rigged model...perfect for Lake Tahoe! (g)