1000 days at sea - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-09-2007
Sapperwhite's Avatar
Not So Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,504
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 10
Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
1000 days at sea

Well, the 1000 days at sea nuts are over 100 days out. Good thing they have pics and a tracker, or this might become another Teignmouth Electron episode. They already got hit by a freighter 2 weeks out, bent the bowsprit, but were able to make repairs.
Who wants to take bets that this turns into a Lord of the Flies type situation after 400 days?

for those that don't know the Teignmouth Electron:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Crowhurst

http://1000days.net/home/
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old 08-09-2007
tdw's Avatar
tdw tdw is offline
Super Fuzzy Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 14,308
Thanks: 5
Thanked 67 Times in 62 Posts
Rep Power: 10
tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperwhite View Post
Well, the 1000 days at sea nuts are over 100 days out. Good thing they have pics and a tracker, or this might become another Teignmouth Electron episode. They already got hit by a freighter 2 weeks out, bent the bowsprit, but were able to make repairs.
Who wants to take bets that this turns into a Lord of the Flies type situation after 400 days?

for those that don't know the Teignmouth Electron:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Crowhurst

http://1000days.net/home/
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Don't start this again.

please (he whimpered) futiley.
__________________
Andrew B

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old 08-09-2007
Sapperwhite's Avatar
Not So Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,504
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 10
Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
was this already out there???
Sorry, I couldn't find it........

ALSO IGNORE THIS POST!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old 08-09-2007
tdw's Avatar
tdw tdw is offline
Super Fuzzy Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 14,308
Thanks: 5
Thanked 67 Times in 62 Posts
Rep Power: 10
tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperwhite View Post
was this already out there???
Sorry, I couldn't find it........

ALSO IGNORE THIS POST!

Filed under Bumfuzzle and General Religious waffle.
__________________
Andrew B

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old 08-09-2007
.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 10,855
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 12
Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
From that link in Wikkipedia:

Donald Crowhurst (1932–1969) was an English businessman and amateur sailor who died while competing in the Sunday Times Golden Globe Race, a single-handed, round-the-world yacht race. Crowhurst had entered the race in hopes of winning a cash prize from the Sunday Times to aid his failing business. Instead, he encountered difficulty early in the voyage, and secretly abandoned the race while reporting false positions, in an attempt to appear to complete a circumnavigation without actually circling the world. Evidence found after his disappearance indicates that this attempt ended in insanity and suicide.


And now lives in Seattle and goes by the name of Knotaloud /US25 / Guesser / Lurkette, etc. etc. etc.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old 08-09-2007
tdw's Avatar
tdw tdw is offline
Super Fuzzy Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 14,308
Thanks: 5
Thanked 67 Times in 62 Posts
Rep Power: 10
tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
From that link in Wikkipedia:

Donald Crowhurst (1932–1969) was an English businessman and amateur sailor who died while competing in the Sunday Times Golden Globe Race, a single-handed, round-the-world yacht race. Crowhurst had entered the race in hopes of winning a cash prize from the Sunday Times to aid his failing business. Instead, he encountered difficulty early in the voyage, and secretly abandoned the race while reporting false positions, in an attempt to appear to complete a circumnavigation without actually circling the world. Evidence found after his disappearance indicates that this attempt ended in insanity and suicide.


And now lives in Seattle and goes by the name of Knotaloud /US25 / Guesser / Lurkette, etc. etc. etc.
Donald was not a well boy !!
__________________
Andrew B

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old 08-09-2007
sailingdog's Avatar
Telstar 28
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 43,291
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 13
sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Either is Knotaloud... or whoever/whatever he is going by nowadays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Donald was not a well boy !!
__________________
Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old 08-11-2007
RickLaPaz's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 407
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 8
RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
If you Kids want to see a real Love-fest, click on this.

And fire up the popcorn and burgers, 'cuz you'll be a while...........

http://www.sailinganarchy.com/forums...howtopic=52463
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #9  
Old 08-11-2007
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 516
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 8
travler37 is on a distinguished road
Best part is thy will probably do it.
At least they tried...
Mark
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #10  
Old 08-12-2007
GySgt's Avatar
Semper Gumby
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 350
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 8
GySgt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to GySgt
Quote:
Originally Posted by travler37 View Post
Best part is thy will probably do it.
At least they tried...
Mark
I have to admit it would be cool, but she will end up preggers, not to much else to do but work on the boat
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duo set sail for 1000 days alone at sea - Olberlin NewsReader News Feeds 0 04-21-2007 08:15 PM
Duo Set Sail For 1000 Days Alone At Sea - Guardian Unlimited NewsReader News Feeds 0 04-21-2007 07:15 PM
Duo Planning 1000 Days Alone At Sea - CBS News NewsReader News Feeds 0 04-21-2007 06:15 PM
Duo Planning 1000 Days Alone at Sea - Twin Falls Times-News NewsReader News Feeds 0 04-21-2007 03:15 PM
The Best and Worst Days at Sea John Kretschmer Her Sailnet Articles 0 12-01-2002 07:00 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:43 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012