Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
as sailingdog says, no additional purchase. However if your block is at the right location it does feed the line onto the winch at a precise, predictable angle, which makes everything go smoother. Most winches work best if the line comes into them at 3-5 degrees below 90.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2007
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Ok!

Got the repaired 153%er back the other day. Put it back on this morning. (nearly died in the sun from the heat ) I can now honestly say running the jib sheets from the jib blocks then back the cheek blocks ( I call spinny blocks ) and the forward to the winches (about 2ft) really does work better! more purchase on the winches which are badly worn, the sheets move slower through the blocks. In light air I can actually just forget the winches. I think I need cam cleats back by the cheek blocks next. I'm thinking they would give me that extra "hand" and time to get to the winch without it luffing off into space LOL.
thanks everyone for all your input. gotta love sailnet!

happy labor day!

Denise
Old 08-28-2007
Live to Sail

HatterasJack is on a distinguished road
Denise,
Cheek blocks were avail. with a ratchet by Harken, used them on my other boat for turning blocks ,doubled the purchase to the old tired winch and sliped through great when the pressure was off for a tack. Still attached a couple of cam cleats by the winch as well.
Old 08-28-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Denise-
"more purchase on the winches which are badly worn, "
Are you aware that you can resurface those? A good local welding or polishing or chroming shop should be able to offer you options to resurface the drums in various ways, texturing the metal, flame spraying new metal to build them up...all sorts of options that will leave them looking and working as new.

And if you want to try an inexpensive DIY approach, you can clean the drums, paint them with an epoxy and an "antiskid" ingredient (just like an antiskid deck) using whatever you consider a suitable "abrasive" to give them more grip. Sand, abrasive powder, crushed walnut shells, etc. For the casual sailor it should last for a couple of years.

Personally I'd rather refinish the winch drums than mess around with the extra winches (which are really just adding friction) or mess around with ratchet blocks, which can get balky as they age.

That's also ignoring your genoa sheets--some are simply way more slick to grab, slick on the winch as well, or too thin to get a good grip on.
Old 08-28-2007
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Yes.. I was planning on something called "knurling" for the winch drums.. but the epoxy is a great idea! And that I have already! Jib sheets are new.7/16" yachtbraid I think it's called supple and good "hand" IMO. The New 3/8" staset on a friends boat seems too difficult for use as jib sheets.
thanks so much!
Old 08-29-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
speaking of genny sheets, I just switched to new england regatta braid, wow, I love it! (and it's pretty cheap too)