Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2007
John

ImASonOfaSailor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor
Teaching sailing How hard can it be?

I have not been on the water sailing on a prolong bases because I do not own a boat yet. As you all know I grew up on sailboats when i was very young, and was forced to go when I did not want to! We were in many storms many races, many no air days and all of that came with yelling and screaming from my dad. Now I am older I have never sailed on the ocean like all of you guys, I am sure it is very different! Just the thought of it does scare me a little, but I am sure if I was around it enough I could be come ok and learn the waters... I grew up in a man made lake it was 300 feet deep in areas and there were a lot of people that lost their lives on that lake. We also had our boat on Lake Erie for 7 years and that was better then the lake I grew up on. Lake Erie was awesome and scary but we like scary, my dad was the type to go out in a storm while others were coming in. Some people would call him nuts and crazy well looking back maybe he was but I know feel I have adopted some of his ways! He use to sail out of slips if the wind was right, he would hardly use his motor he hated the motor! He would sail in to the slips and everyone would be watching so I had to make sure everything went right. Later he showed me how to do it all and I just miss those days, but anyway…

If I were to start a sailing class for inland lake sailors what all would i need need to teach?

I would think for new sailors:

-Docking and leaving a slip
-Starboard and Port
-sheets and ropes
-Halyards and back stays
-True wind directions
-Instruments
-Falling off and coming up
-Storms and light air, Reefing and how much sail area
-Tacking
-reading the water
-Lowering and raising the sails
-folding the sails if needed
-object in water, turning around to get it

What else did I forget?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2007

rewell6 is on a distinguished road
As I know nothing about sailing, I can answer from my end.

I wouldn't be looking for an individual to take sailing lessons from. I will get the lessons from an approved ASA school this fall.

However, an affordable tutor either before or after the ASA class would be a good idea. Somewhere that an individual could build time and gain knowledge from an experienced sailor.

You could even go over the ASA stuff just to make sure they understood what happened so fast in the classes. Somewhere to ask the stupid questions, instead of in front of other class members.

Once you start making money from your boat, that opens up other problems. License requirements, insurance, etc. The local schools might even report you. I think the tutoring would be ok, as long as you don't violate the license requirements.
Old 08-11-2007

SailinJay is on a distinguished road
You might add basic sailing terminology, basic rules regarding right-of way, essential knots, man-overboard procedures, points of sail, and jibing.
Old 08-11-2007
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImASonOfaSailor View Post
What else did I forget?
You forgot that to teach a subject, you should be somewhat expert in that subject, or at least know more about it than the students. I don't get the impression that this is the case here.
Old 08-11-2007

LeftyI36 is on a distinguished road
I've taken a few classes over the years, and you might take note that a lot of the "students" are actually very experienced sailors, just looking for some fun, or accompanying a family member. These "students" tend to know a lot more than they let on, so if the instructor is not seasoned, then their teachings come into question.
Old 08-11-2007
John

ImASonOfaSailor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor
lets face it you will never learn from someone unless you have been in a situation. Maybe what i am saying is very basic sailing class for the people that want to get started! You can never learn everything from a teacher anyway, unless you are with them every time your on the water! So you think this will not work?
Old 08-11-2007
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImASonOfaSailor View Post
lets face it you will never learn from someone unless you have been in a situation. Maybe what i am saying is very basic sailing class for the people that want to get started! You can never learn everything from a teacher anyway, unless you are with them every time your on the water! So you think this will not work?
Maybe you should try getting work as an instructor at an established sailing school. Assuming you have the knowledge and skills required to get hired (and no offense, but that doesn't seem likely), you could take what you learn about the curriculum and teaching techniques and apply it to your own business later on.
Old 08-13-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Proper terms for the different parts of the boat, and definistions of basic sailing terms would be a pre-requisite.

You really need to mention apparent wind, as well as true wind.

Most small dinghies don't have any instruments to speak of, at least when I was growing up...

Storms, reefing and such aren't generally required or possible on many small dinghies, which don't have sail reef points, and can't handle bad weather as a general rule. In general, the bigger the boat, the higher the wind it can deal with... what feels like a typhoon in a Sunfish, is nice breeze in a 30' keelboat, and is like nothing in 75' monohull.

However, before you do any of this, I think you really need to get more experience and knowledge of sailing yourself...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-13-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
How are your people skills? Teaching to adults taking an optional hobby related course is a lot different than teaching at an institution of learning. Many of your students will think of themselves as your peers or even your betters. I was a raft guide for several summers and getting people to listen and do as asked was one of the most difficult aspects of the job.
Old 08-13-2007

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
I spent 5 years teaching sailing full time ( 8 hours a day 6 & 7 days a week) at an established ASA sailing school. This school has been in business for over 29 years and has an fleet of 20 plus boats. We taught everything from ASA basic keel boat to coastal cruising to live-aboard and bare boat chartering. All of us held at least an USCG Mater's and an ASA instructors cert.

I am going to start with a few things that come to mind. First, this is an commercial venture. You will be taking passengers for hire. Therefore you are subject to commercial boating regulations. If this venture is in USCG controlled waters and the boat has auxiliary power you will need at a minimum a 6-pack Captain licensee. In State waters it depends on the State. You need to check.

One thing you need to think about is how you are going to certify the students. Students like getting certificate at the end of the course. At least one that issued by an National body. The ASA requires that you be in business at least 1 year before they will certify the school. They, also want to you have an on shore class room and will go over your qualifications. They require you have an ASA Instructions cert and any thing else the the State or Federal officials may want.

The forgoing is the easy part just wait until you start shopping for insurance.

I have had every thing happen on board from an student having an panic attack to an older man who just collapsed and had an stroke. Weather and equipment failures are the easy part. You must remember that YOU (and no one else) are responsible for every thing that happens on board.

I love teaching sailing and still do part time as the Dr. says I have to limit my time in the sun. That is what happens after 35+ years sailing. This is one the few things you can do where you can really put an smile on another's face and leave them an skill and an love for sailing that hopefully they will carry on for an lifetime.

Regards

by the way it doesn't"t pay all that much

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.