Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2002

sydr is on a distinguished road
Mount Desert Island ME

This is a long shot... I am part of a communuty group that is trying to stop an 8 parcel development on the hill above the field at the mouth of Somes Sound. A plethera of letters to the SWH Planning Board would be very helpful. I look forward to a reply.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2002

VIEXILE is on a distinguished road
Mount Desert Island ME

Good luck. The problem with the concept of stopping development is so intertwined with overtaxation on the land for the families that lived there for 100 years that it would be truly "unfair" to screw them out of their legacy. People from "away" have caused property values to skyrocket on MDI, the Penobscot Bay region and east of Ellsworth, driving lifelong residents living in an economic dead zone further inland. Nobody has an answer for the farming family of seven in Hancock with a 150 acre waterfront farm and a gross annual income of less than $50,000.00 other than the assessor''s old saw "if you can''t afford to live there, then sell it and move." Lands that have been in the same family for 100 or more years. They could put it into "farming and agriculture," and reduce tax burden, but then the State "steals" the legacy of development value through penalties. Sorry, but that''s what you get on MDI.
Old 03-24-2002

bigred140 is on a distinguished road
Mount Desert Island ME

I wish you luck in your attempt to block development but as is happening all over MDI, it''s inevitable. I hope your group succeeds but I am pessimistic when it comes to developers because when money talks developers seem to find a way.
Old 03-25-2002

VIEXILE is on a distinguished road
Mount Desert Island ME

You pay full taxes on your property for years and years, then the "classic" occurs in Maine. A bunch "out-of-staters" with too much money come in, take over and push the dumb locals further inland while stealing their family land. "I hope you can stop the development . . ." Beautiful. I hope when you go to sell your home you are prevented by some "out of stater." Maine is screwed, economically and heritage-wise. There''s more Jersey and Masshole accents on MDI than downeasters. It''s pretty sad. Glad I had the opportunity to grow up there before the "boom" and the influx from NY and southern New England destroyed the place. Now the NY Yacht Club takes over Rockland, reserving all the available slips, moorings, and space in the harbor for the weekend events. I was so pissed sailing in a couple years ago with NO NYYC boats in sight, empty slips and moorings everywhere, only to be told to go away - "NO SPACE." We economically challenged locals aren''t worthy of getting near the waterfront from the land, now we can''t get near the waterfront from the water. Beautiful. Maine - the way life used to be.