Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2007

sailingnewby is on a distinguished road
Whats so Important about knots

I was at the marina the other day talking to a guy. Somewhere in the discussion knot tying came and he didn't think it was that important at all. All you needed to know how to tie was a simple knot. I don't see how any one could think that.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-14-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
What's so important about knots???

Ask the guy to define "simple knot" and let's see him untie those "granny knots" he tied to the fuel dock cleats with the added strain of 20 knot winds . . . and as half a dozen snarling sailors wait to fuel up behind him.

Quote:
I was at the marina the other day talking to a guy. Somewhere in the discussion knot tying came and he didn't think it was that important at all. All you needed to know how to tie was a simple knot. I don't see how any one could think that.
Old 08-14-2007
John

ImASonOfaSailor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor
I use a Bowline every where around the house, that guy is crazy you have to know a bowline its one of the best knots to use....
Old 08-14-2007

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

I normally use three knots - reef or square knot (for reefing sails, holding the end of the sail cover, a safety line around the roller furled headsail), clove hitch (to hold the fenders on) and a bowline (just about everything else).

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-14-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
I suppose if you're going to know only one knot, the bowline would be the knot to know, but I think a knowledge of a half-dozen or so knots, for different purposes, is necessary. Even in my exceedingly limited boating adventures, so far, I've used the bowline, clove hitch, clove hitch plus double half hitch, and reef knots.

Just thought of a couple more I've used already: Stopper (figure-eight) knot and slipped half hitch.

Jim

Last edited by SEMIJim; 08-14-2007 at 09:13 PM. Reason: More knots I've used
Old 08-14-2007

SanderO is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't see how you can work a boat without knowing the basic knots. Your llife can and will depend on it.

It's not optional.

jef
sv shiva
Old 08-14-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Working the docks here...it is amazing to see the lack of knowledge. Many people seem to believe that if you don't know the right knot to use...just tie a lot of them! (G)

Also interesting to see how people tie off on their cleats!!
For the knot challeged:http://www.boatingbasicsonline.com/c...oating/7_1.php
the five basic ones.
Old 08-14-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
Knots are like tools, there is a right one for each job. The bowline is a good all round knot, but not ideal for everything. A larks head also works well to tie fenders onto lifelines. Anchor bend, well, for tying off to anchors, chain or any kind of ring. I like to use a sheet bend instead of a reef knot, especially if it is going to take any load. The trucker's hitch is handy for cynching down tarps, etc. The figure eight follow through is a good knot to use for a safety line on the bosuns chair. The butterfly loop is a good way to form one or more loops in the middle of a loaded line. Those are the ones I use most often.
Old 08-14-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
When we were bringing the boat up, we over-nighted at a marina that obviously catered almost exclusively to power boats. (Didn't know that when we made the arrangements. Didn't really matter, anyway.) There were a bunch of boaters hanging out on a dock on the other side of the canal where we were supposed to tie up. First time for us, and I just kind of stood there stupidly, all my knot know-how suddenly completely abandoning me .

One of the on-lookers yelled across "Hang on, I'll be right over." He came over to show me How To Do It. He got the 2nd half of the clove hitches up-side-down and got the 2nd half of the double half-hitches backwards. But it did get us tied up. After my wits returned, and they were gone (didn't want to seem ungracious), I re-tied the knots and added a spring line (which they also said was unnecessary).

Lesson learned: Probably Not A Good Idea to try to dock in a strange marina, with a new-to-you boat, after a full day's sailing and motoring (through unfamiliar waters), and you haven't had any practical experience with your knots and warp-handling and the like .

Jim
Old 08-14-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Our docks don't have any cleats, we have large pillings.

Round Turns and hitches for us.

When I form the round turns, I always make one or two turns, than on the next one or two turns I place the bitter end under the previous turn and than tie my hitches.
I'm not sure where I picked that up but it was many years ago from someone on the docks.
What is that knot called?
Its really just a variation of Round Turns but I don't know the exact name.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White