Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2009

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
CapnRon,

Whether to Bahamian Moor with three anchors or spiderweb to the trees on one side and to anchors on the other is going to be a choice you will have to make. Either way can be successful or can have problems. The spot you have picked looks ideal. As for the water coming up or going down, it will not be so much as a fast running stream, but rather a gradual rise in level...over hours or even a couple of days and likewise it drops the same way. If you anchor, then you are at the mercy of the anchors entirely. At various points of the wind, only one of those anchors will be holding you and if the bottom is really soft, the anchor might drag (but hopefully the others would then take up the slack). With the Bahamian Moor, you allow the boat to swing over a limited range and minimize wind drag on the boat since the boat swings with the wind, but as I understand it, from the point that the three anchors are attached, you have a single chain or rode to the boat. Additionally, if your anchor rodes are chain/nylon rodes, there is a possibility that as the boat swings in a multiple anchor spread, the nylon rodes might get tangled around the keel and result in presenting a broadside to the wind on the anchors...this is probably less a problem with your boat since it is a swing keel, but I have seen this happen on keel boats with bad results. A single anything under hurricane conditions, to me, seems risky. If you tie to the large trees with a wide spread of lines in one direction (and lots of them) with the anchors in the other direction with the three anchors also in a wide spread (and in this configuration I wouldn't limit myself to just three), you might be more secure. And each of these lines or rodes can be independently attached to the boat and to the shore or bottom, so if one fails, the others just take more load. If you do tie to the trees, unless you are up a small cove where you can be sure that no one will pass, you should not tie across the stream on both sides since this will block others trying to go up or down stream. If you did this, someone with a mean streak might cut the lines as retribution for blocking the entire stream and this would really be a mess. With either method, you have gone a long way in improving your chances with the boat since you won't take that pounding of waves over a long fetch.

Last edited by NCC320; 08-12-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-12-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
As NCC320 stated, There will not likely be tremendous currents in comparison with the wind effects. Regardless, there will not be a significant movement of water that is not in the same direction as the wind. In short, my experience suggests that the need is to prepare the boat for the wind and not current. I'm sure there are exceptions. Especially if you are in and area were the Corps of Engineers have countered nature by keeping large bodies of water from there natural flow. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 08-16-2009

CapnRon47 is on a distinguished road
Ana, Bill and Claudette

Well so much for a quiet season. All of these could fade away but I think the odds are against it. Bill looks to be the one that will be an issue for us. Looks like we have about a week to prepare. Hardly seems like enough time now! I will see how things develop over the next few day and how much I can accomplish. I will keep hauling in my back pocket as an option.

Growing old has its aches and pains, but their better than the alternative. I guess its the same owning a sailboat and having to deal with these issues.

thanks all for suggestions and comments.

cheers.
Old 08-16-2009
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road
CapnRon,

Yep, things are heating up right now. Our boat is in the Kemah area, off Galveston bay in Texas. Hopefully I'll beat Anna to the boat Saturday night if she goes there. Anna shouldn't be a big deal, but I'm not ignoring her right now. I need to double up my dock lines and remove the sails, bimini, and dodger. Damn, just when you thought it was safe outside!!!
Old 08-21-2009

robtriangle is on a distinguished road
Thanks

Thanks for lots of good tips

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

678-656-7328
Old 08-24-2009
Sailor Dance

jlmarra is on a distinguished road
Mooring Prep

We are on a mooring and with the sheer numbers of boats in our area I don't think hauling would be an option on such short notice. Would you add an extra set of lines from the mooring shackle to the forward cleats? I remember reading somewhere the owner ran extra lines from the mooring to his midship cleats as backup. I would think to the forward cleats would be the better option.

I would remove all valuables from the boat because if the boat does land on the beach there are those in today's society that think that gives them the right to strip your boat of everything they can carry with them. They should be shot like looters no questions asked!

I would stow all sails, canvas, solar panels, tie down or remove any frames, fold in any davits.

Maybe hang your fenders horizontally similar to the way they rig them on a launch. What good are they stowed in your locker? I don't know maybe they would just add more windage to the boat than their worth?

I would take the dink home so you have a way to get to your boat should it wind up aground in a shallow area or your normal mode (launch service ) of getting to your boat is not available. Why loose two boats when you can keep one of them safe?

I agree with not riding out the storm in your boat I read somewhere the only thing you can do on your boat during a hurricane is die. It's insured.

John
S/V Sailor Dance
1990 Caliber 33
Long Island Sound
Old 08-24-2009
Relapsing

ArcherBowman is on a distinguished road
I take it that the idea of going to sea and getting out of the way of the storm is impractical?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It ain't all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of sailing is? Love. You take a boat in to sea that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her afloat when she oughtta founder... tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens… makes her a home." Captain Malcom Reynolds, Paraphrased
Old 08-31-2009

Firming up my plan

We went down to the boat last week just in case we had to deal with 'Bill,' but fortunately he just brought some rain. So I used the opportunity to make some preparations, based on the plan to use multiple anchors and trees up in our creek. I can take advantage of my shallow draft swing keel (1' 10" with keel up) to get farther up the creek than other boats, so I will be well protected and not blocking any waterway.

As I mentioned elsewhere I decided to update the 20 year old Danforth. I ended up buying a Rocna #15 (33 lbs), mostly because it was available in the store and it is a size up from the 20 lb Danforth. Also it was not that much more expensive than the replacing the Danforth HT, but I am hoping it will be more versatile and as dependable. I purchased new chain (50') and new anchor rode for the Rocna.

I also purchased new shackles for the Danforth and the CQR that came with the boat (the shackles looked to be the worst for ware.

Both the Danforth (with 35' of chain) and the CQR (with 10' of chain) are on the opposite ends of the same 250' of anchor rode. So I believe I now have 3 serviceable anchors. In addition, I purchased (for $30 I might add) 2 lengths of 120' used 3/4" anchor rode that after some soaking in hot soapy water became nicely playable. So I have some length of line to tie to trees, in addition to dock lines if needed.

I took the Bimini off the boat, to make some mends and I figured out how to remove the sails. I have owned the boat for one year, but I did not hank the sails on and it has been at our dock in NC for most of that year, so the sails (under cover) have not needed to be removed.

So I am feeling better about my plan. I can remove everything from the boat at the dock/house and move the boat up the creek in a few hours. Now I have to practice setting the anchors and finding the best way to tie her off to shore.

Last edited by CapnRon47; 08-31-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-31-2009

Almost forgot one other item

I also added a sensor (Water Witch) and Manual/Auto switch to the main bilge pump. Our boat is a very dry boat, but we do get water down the mast channel when we have a lot of rain. The existing Jabsco Diaphragm pump only runs on demand off a breaker in the main panel.

So I added a second switch at the pump that allows you to operate it manually, holding the switch over, or in Auto mode.

To the Auto side of the switch I connected a Water Witch electrical sensor. I tested the whole arrangement in a bucket to see that the pump comes on and shuts off after the water is pumped out. I left the switch in auto mode over night (during the rains from 'Bill') to see how much it would reduce the batteries. I have 4 house batteries with a total of 410 amp-hours when fully charged. Over a period of about 20 hours this setup used about 11 amp-hours. So I suspect I could leave this run for a week if needed. Of course, the pump draws a lot more when it runs, but it only takes about 30 seconds to pump out the 3" of water found by the sensor. The pump only draws about 6 amps when running so 6 amps for a minute or less does not produce much draw down.

So it was a busy week, but as I said I feel better prepared. And I got some sailing in also.

cheers
Old 09-14-2009
Capt Ron

southwindphoto is on a distinguished road
Excellent post, and thanks for all the great information.
I’m new to sailing but I’ve been around boats, my whole life. I was raised working at my dad’s marina in Ft Lauderdale, and during the 60’s and early 70’s I witnessed numerous hurricanes come through.

For the most part, many boats will survive category 1 and 2 storms. But step up to a category 3 or higher hurricane and all the marinas docks that are anywhere near the ocean will be gone along with the boats attached to them.

One marina hotel had water rise into the second floor, and there marina docks for a period of time were over 15 foot deep. All there floating docks came loose, and went away, as well as any boat that was tied off to them.

I recall a marina on the ICW that did not have floating docks but it did do much better. Boats that where in the water where now particularly sunk and or had come loose from the dock and was now on land and those boats that were stored on land where on their side right next to them.