Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007
SeŮor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Wife is putting the pressure on to sell the boat.

From a recent post she made here, some of you know that my wife has grown fearful of sailing on True Blue - since she fears heeling. This is mostly due to the relatively high height off the water of the aft deck (sailing cockpit deck is 5'-10" from the waterline), which increases the arc moment.

The boat is absolutely beautiful to me and I am totally obsessed by her. But, it was intended as, and designed to be a couple's cruising boat, not a solo-weekender - otherwise I'd consider taking her out singlehanded. Our relationship however, is more important than my obsession.

I originally thought it might be best to wait another season before listing it. Call me irresponsible, but I see this downturn economy as a prime opportunity to buy another boat at a great price . . . I'm really serious. I've checked out yachtworld.com and found some very attractive listings on boats that my 1st mate would fully approve of.

I think I can swing two boat loans, because - being a buyer's market, I'm probably not going to sell in a hurry - but you never know. We do have a unique boat which is holding it's value very well (advertised asking prices have actually gone up for the same year and model) due to a strong cult following.

Many Europeans have actually been looking overseas for pre-owned, then-optional tall rig Nauticats, due to the high Euro-to-US dollar exchange rate and well-known, improved sailing performance over the standard shoal-draft models. Perhaps this is one reason for the rarity of tall-rig NC33s in excellent condition - a shallow keel model has been on the market for a while, at a lower price.

Forget about retirement security (I'm much too young to think about that anyway) . I've got plenty of professional jobs going and the outlook "seems" promising for future contract opportunities. At this point, I'm not revealing the boats I'm currently considering . . . that's a subject for another topic.

Hence, my dilemma. It is probably totally, incredibly stupid, to have two boat loans in this economy and I would be smart to heave-to and wait out the storm. But, some good buys are out there and the relationship is getting edgy. What would you do, given these criteria?
Old 08-15-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Keep the crew happy TB. Not much point in going against the flow. I'm very interested in what you would look at as the option. I'm guessing it will have to be aft cockpit ?

One thought causes me concern, if your wife is unhappy with heel how is she going to feel when the water is rushing close by the cockpit ?

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-15-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I'd buy a nice stable Tayana 52! (G)
Old 08-15-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Too big! Buy a well made CS34...CHEAP!

You have a great boat, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. It is a great time to buy a boat, but I think it will stay that way for a while. No rush.

Vaya con Dios
Old 08-15-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
My first thought was the same as the wombat's: How's she going to feel in the cockpit of a boat with much less freeboard, when you're heeled-over and the occasional wave sends water down the side deck on the leeward side?

I think the problem here is likely one of "fear of the unknown." She doesn't understand the dynamics and what a couple of tons of keel means. My wife, whose experience is on a round-bottomed, 7 meter dingy with a certerboard, is afraid of a knock-down, if not down-right turning turtle, whenever the wind's up and the boat's heeled. I explain to her the keel on that boat weighs more than her PT Cruiser, but she still isn't quite one with the concept.

Jim
Old 08-15-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Wait a cotton pickin' minute! Have you been talking to CD about Nordhavns?

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 08-15-2007 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-15-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
You been talking to SD about Multi Hulls?
(They might be a good option for you and your wife.)

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 08-15-2007

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Buy a 2nd boat? If you think that she's negative now, wait until she sees all that money flying out the door for a sport that she doesn't care for!

I recommend following the mantra of "Better to undersail the boat than not sail it at all." When we bought our first boat (14') in 1982, my wife was very fearful of everything including heeling even though she grew up 1/4mi from a salt water bay. As she learned to sail and experienced a wide variety of conditions, her confidence grew. To this day, she tends to pick the (somewhat conservative) sail combinations and even if I don't fully agree with her choice I usually keep my mouth shut. Again, better to undersail the boat than not sail it at all. She's gotten to the point that she trusts the boat, her capabilities, and can handle all 38' beautifully. It also helps that I named the boat after her (I like to hedge my bets). I recommend keeping the sailing easy, conservative and low risk until her abilities and confidence grows. I'd also trying to get her on the helm as much as possible in easy conditions to increase confidence. Definitely DON'T push the sailing and conditions to "toughen" her.

I wouldn't buy a second boat. Invariably, the first will fall into some state of disrepair and will yield a lower sale price.

Just my 2 cents......
Old 08-15-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I didn't know Tayana made RVs...
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
I'd buy a nice stable Tayana 52! (G)

TB-

I know someone looking for a boat, and mentioned looking for a motorsailor like a Nauticat...so if you are serious about it.... let me know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-15-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
WOW! I will PM you TB.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook: