Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2008

N0NJY is on a distinguished road
I know this is an old thread, but since I'm new and asking questions.. I will ask.

Some folks are saying don't add such things to small boats.

Is there some 'size limit' where having a wheel and pedestal is optimum for boat performance then?

I've seen boats that are 25 or 26 feet with wheels and with tillers. What is the reason? (Same kind of boat, but don't ask me what it was I don't remember)

moˈloːn laˈbe!

It's better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for who you're not.

Let those winds of change blow over my head,
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead - Jimmy Buffet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-23-2008
Pearson 31-2 #80 ('87)

Delirious is on a distinguished road
For performance? It only helps that you "feel" the rudder better with a tiller. The boat doesn't care. Some boats have much more helm "feel" than others. Great for short races or keel hung rudders. It's all about convenience on cruisers. You can get mighty tired holding (aka "battling") the tiller in a wet and cold cockpit of a beamy boat with a spade rudder; especially on a reach.

Some boats just track well and some don't. A tiller on a well balanced boat that tracks well is a lovely thing. If you are fighting it constantly on a boat that wants to broach and round up it is a misery. If you're willing to reef or work at the sail trim it's not so bad, but most of us are lazy and/or take the lifts on gusty days as they come along..
Charlie P. P31-2 #80 CATNAP

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive - R.L. Stevenson

I suspect that, if you should go to the end of the world, you would find somebody there going farther . . . - H.D. Thoreau

Last edited by Delirious; 10-23-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-23-2008
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
More Tiller!!
Old 10-23-2008

tommays will become famous soon enough
RACE A J24 for 6-1/2 hours with a peak wind of over 20 knots and that wheel starts looking better all the time

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-23-2008
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
RACE A J24 for 6-1/2 hours with a peak wind of over 20 knots and that wheel starts looking better all the time
But you'll never get thiose Popeye arms you want!!
Old 10-23-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If the boat was designed for tiller and had a wheel retrofitted, the balance of the boat may often be a bit off, since the pedestal and wheel add quite a bit of weight aft. Also, many cockpit soles are designed to take the strains that a steering pedestal will put on them, and as such will either need to be reinforced (if the job was done properly) or will have some serious issues in the long run (if they skimped on the installation).

Boats that are aimed towards more traditional sailors will often have a tiller. Boats that are aimed towards powerboat and novice sailors will often have a wheel, since a wheel is much more familiar to novice sailors and powerboaters. Sailors who came up through the dinghy ranks are used to tillers and have little or no problem using them.

For example: The MacGregor 26 has a wheel, and is designed as a hybrid—part sailboat, part powerboat, lousy at both IMHO. The Etchells 30 is basically a 30' keelboat that acts much like an oversized racing dinghy... and is tiller steered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0NJY View Post
I know this is an old thread, but since I'm new and asking questions.. I will ask.

Some folks are saying don't add such things to small boats.

Is there some 'size limit' where having a wheel and pedestal is optimum for boat performance then?

I've seen boats that are 25 or 26 feet with wheels and with tillers. What is the reason? (Same kind of boat, but don't ask me what it was I don't remember)

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-23-2008

Quote:
For example: The MacGregor 26 has a wheel, and is designed as a hybrid—part sailboat, part powerboat, lousy at both IMHO. The Etchells 30 is basically a 30' keelboat that acts much like an oversized racing dinghy... and is tiller steered.
Cool. That's kind of what I was looking for.

Mine's got a tiller

moˈloːn laˈbe!

Old 10-23-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
N0NJY-

What kind of boat do you have???

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-23-2008

Well, TECHNICALLY, no boat. Until Saturday.

We're picking up a "practice boat" Saturday morning, doing some work on it and putting it in a lake in the spring after we finish some classes.

The boat is a 1979 MacGregor Venture 25. It needs a bit of work, but it's intact and pretty clean.. ok, well, a bachelor owned it, it needs cleaning too... but it's in sailable condition right now. It's just getting to the point here in Colorado I don't think I want to take it out just yet.

As I pointed out in my sign in message, I am not a sailor (and I think I mentioned that in some other messages too....) - I'm an "Airman" - or was, retired. I've been around boats a lot - and been on sailboats, but never actually sailed one. There's some more information in the introduction forum in my thread I started.

moˈloːn laˈbe!

Old 10-23-2008
Banned

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
I have sailed a couple older Pearson's 28"s that were converted to wheels. Both used a hydraulic conversion. It was very sloppy steering. I would recommend a chain and cable system.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.