Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2007

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road
Somebody tell me it's worth it!

I just spent the past two days scraping, sanding and filling the dings from the rub-rail to the cabin top. Iím achy and sore and I havenít even started painting yet! Iíve still got the top-sides and bottom to do too. She really looks like hell right now but Iím determined that sheís going to be the ďBelle of the BallĒ for the Gloucester Schooner Festival. I keep wondering if I shouldnít just sell the damn thing and buy a plastic boat? At least I didnít find any rot anywhere!

PoCA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-24-2007

RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
Interview some less expensive though qualified guys, leave a check, and then go to work.
Not sure about you, but up until my early-mid 40's, I lived for this ****. Now it just bores the hell out of me. Pay someone to do the crap work, and then on weekends you can put on the finishing touches and look like a gawd.

Trust me on this, you'll thank me later.......

Good luck,

Rick
Old 08-24-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
Once you open the paint can, you're almost done.

You better post a pictire of the finished product.
Old 08-24-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirateofcapeann View Post
I just spent the past two days scraping, sanding and filling the dings from the rub-rail to the cabin top. Iím achy and sore and I havenít even started painting yet! Iíve still got the top-sides and bottom to do too. She really looks like hell right now but Iím determined that sheís going to be the ďBelle of the BallĒ for the Gloucester Schooner Festival. I keep wondering if I shouldnít just sell the damn thing and buy a plastic boat? At least I didnít find any rot anywhere!
How do you spell relief: V-I-C-O-D-I-N!

You will feel better shortly!

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-25-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Great, now CDs pushing drugs...

Pirate— Why aren't you having your crew do the hard work??? Isn't that what crew is for? It is worth it... really it is... and Flexiril is your friend... Between that and the Vicodin... you should be feeling no pain.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-25-2007
Not quite Senior Member

Waymar83 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Waymar83
From wikepedia:

Vicodin was put into Schedule III along with anabolic steroids, ketamine, paregoric, Xyrem, dronabinol, and hydrocodone/codeine (when "compounded with an NSAID" or with paracetamol); these drugs have high psychological dependence and low to medium physical addiction, though less so than Schedule II such as oxycodone. [3]

Where can I get some....

Pirate.....It's a labour of love.....you can't cost it

Waymar - Jeanneau, Attalia
Old 08-26-2007

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
RickLP - I understand your sentiment. A surveyor once told me that the really smart owners are the ones that buy new boats and neglect them; just having fun and forgetting the work. When things break, then it's time for a new boat. She said that she was unfortunately not part of that group and couldn't just let things go.

When we looked at VICTORIA, I saw all her blemishes (the boat, not her namesake!) and said "I can fix this, I can fix that".... until we wrote a check. After the first year, I was still ok, just prior to launch on the second year, I was ready to sink her and collect the insurance. Now into our third year, all the really critical stuff is done and we only really need to swap out the reefer (a "nice to have", but certainly not critical). I keep reminding myself that it took us 15 years to get our last Sabre the way that we wanted - this boat has been on a compressed schedule.

In my view, it's worth it (except bottom painting which is for young people on an hourly wage).
Old 08-27-2007

RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
RickLP - I understand your sentiment. A surveyor once told me that the really smart owners are the ones that buy new boats and neglect them; just having fun and forgetting the work. When things break, then it's time for a new boat. She said that she was unfortunately not part of that group and couldn't just let things go.

When we looked at VICTORIA, I saw all her blemishes (the boat, not her namesake!) and said "I can fix this, I can fix that".... until we wrote a check. After the first year, I was still ok, just prior to launch on the second year, I was ready to sink her and collect the insurance. Now into our third year, all the really critical stuff is done and we only really need to swap out the reefer (a "nice to have", but certainly not critical). I keep reminding myself that it took us 15 years to get our last Sabre the way that we wanted - this boat has been on a compressed schedule.

In my view, it's worth it (except bottom painting which is for young people on an hourly wage).
Oh, don't get me wrong, sabre, I'm very envious of you and the trophy that will eventually be your hot-smacking-shiny newish boat. EVERYONE needs to do this at least once. or they might as well buy an RV. I'm just reflecting back to the days when we had not only a 35' Ohlson yawl from the 50's, but a 40' English built ketch from the early 30's. Trust me, those were GREAT times that'll I never forget, but I've already paid my dues. As I hit 50 though and find I have a few more resouces (both time and fiscally wise), I try to delegate the nasty/boring/labor intensive stuff out so that I can focus on the fun things that I enjoy--Rewiring, rebuilding systems, re-locating the o's crap, new electronic installation, sheet and block makeovers, running/standing rigging experiments, bbq supports, kayak, surfboard and fishing rod racks, blah blah blah ad nauseum. And of course, the sailing part of owning a boat. 'Cuz that's what it's really all about in the long run..........

Good luck,

Rick
Old 08-27-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
I'm thinking this thread applies to me more each day considering I'm about to put an offer on a 1956 Kettenburg PCC (K-46). Most of the really hard stuff, like taking the hull down to bare wood and repainting was just done. The brightwork is about 85% done and what's left doesn't look bad. The electronics aren't that old and work and the engine in almost new. However, five years from now when it's time to haul out, strip and paint her again, how will I feel?
Old 08-29-2007

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road
Well, there it is then. She’s all painted and she’s the prettiest boat in the harbor… again! Her bottom’s all clean and she’s gonna be fast, well, as fast as an old fat bottomed wooden boat can be! Jeeze, now if she could only stay that way!

Anyway, the schooners are startin’ to arrive for the Gloucester Schooner Festival and ol’ Jesse Boyce is going to be the “Belle of the Ball”, representing her home port as she dose. As I look out at her, gently tugging on her mooring, I guess that it is all worth it and I’m sure proud to be her skipper!

Now, where’s that rum bottle and the ibuprofen???

PoCA