Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2007

kptmorgan04 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to kptmorgan04
Question Newport Boat Show?

The Newport Boat show runs from Sept 13-16, Thur-Sun. I am thinking about getting my boat to Newport by either Sept 13 late night or Sept 14 mid morning, since its on my way of my next cruise anyway. Typically how busy is the harbor during the show? Will there be any room in the anchorage or any moorings available? I was there a mid summer weekend in July/August and while busy there was room to anchor and scattered moorings available.

ps. Anyone else here planning on attending at all?
Old 08-25-2007

SanderO is an unknown quantity at this point
Forget about docking. Most of it is used for the show. The anchorage is fine. Moorings may be harder to come by and there may be some slips in Goat Island.

jef
sv shiva
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2007
Quit calling me a member

morganmike is on a distinguished road
From what I've been told by a member of the Newport Yacht Club, there is very little space available during the show. All those folks who normally dock on what become the show piers are forced out for two weeks, and they have to find places to keep their boats. Some get underway for BI, the Vineyard, etc. but many stay in the area. That means that not only are you competing with people sailing in, but the locals are already soaking up most of the available anchorage and moorage.
Old 08-27-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
What mike says is true regarding moorings in Newport during the show. We've been attending the show each September for many years, but have only tried to go by boat once. We ended up with no choice than to anchor in the southeast designated anchorage and landing at Ann St Pier's public dinghy dock. The anchorage was very crowded - felt uncomfortable leaving the boat.

Normally we just walk the 2 blocks down the hill from my office on Friday or Thursday - this year however, we'll be down in NC during the show, first time missing it since '94.
Old 08-27-2007

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
You could try grabbing a mooring in Jamestown at Conanicut Marina and taking the small ferry across. Jamestown is very pleasant and the ferry runs frequently. Only about a five or ten minute ride.
Old 08-27-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by kptmorgan04 View Post
The Newport Boat show runs from Sept 13-16, Thur-Sun. I am thinking about getting my boat to Newport by either Sept 13 late night or Sept 14 mid morning, since its on my way of my next cruise anyway. Typically how busy is the harbor during the show? Will there be any room in the anchorage or any moorings available? I was there a mid summer weekend in July/August and while busy there was room to anchor and scattered moorings available.

ps. Anyone else here planning on attending at all?
And yes, I will likely be attending. I live in Jamestown, so I will just take the ferry over (see previous post).
Old 08-27-2007

jboatjack is on a distinguished road
Leave the boat home and take the plane, plenty of tie-downs.
Old 08-28-2007

kptmorgan04 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to kptmorgan04
thanks for the replys. I am fine with anchoring, and the suggestion about Jamestown is a good one that I might end up doing. Is there any anchorage area there, or just moorings? I will be arriving late Thursday night or early Friday depending on weather coming down from Plymouth (getting to the Cape Cod Canal at 1130 for the tide). It will be my first time to the show and I am very much looking forward to it!
Old 08-28-2007

SanderO is an unknown quantity at this point
When you go, find the Raymarine booth or reps and ask them why they were caught sleeping when the gove switched WAAS satellites leaving our WAAS receivers incapable of receiving WAAS and why their telephone tech support is so crappy.

jef
sv shiva
Old 08-28-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by kptmorgan04 View Post
thanks for the replys. I am fine with anchoring, and the suggestion about Jamestown is a good one that I might end up doing. Is there any anchorage area there, or just moorings? I will be arriving late Thursday night or early Friday depending on weather coming down from Plymouth (getting to the Cape Cod Canal at 1130 for the tide). It will be my first time to the show and I am very much looking forward to it!
There really isn't any anchorage at Jamestown near the downtown where you would get the ferry to Newport. There is anchorage north of the Bridge (Potter's cove) or on the West ferry or Dutch Harbor side but neither of these would be convenient for your purposes.