Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2007

BadUser is on a distinguished road
An introduction

Greetings from landlocked Colorado. I've been reading the archives for about a month now and have finally created an ID. Sadly, my creative juices ran out after about 5 failed user name attempts so I created a bad one.

Anyway, what brought me to sailnet was my latest Walter Mitty fantasy of eventually escaping the corporate insanity, getting a sailboat, and sailing off into the sunset. After 20 years in the software industry, I'm kind of over this whole working thing.

I should mention that my sailing experience is extremely limited, although it's been very enjoyable. My first sailing experience was a 4 day excursion through the Whitsunday Islands on the Anaconda III. That's still my best vacation ever, the run out to the barrier reef under sail while bashing through 3-4 meter waves was definitely a highlight. Thank god for Qwells. I also did one of the Blackbeard 7-day liveaboard cruises from Miami to Bimini, which was more of a scuba trip than a sailing trip, but it was still great just being on the water.

These trips, along with screwing around on some hobie cats and a sunfish a couple of times, have whetted my appetite for sailing. Right now my ultimate goal is to eventually do some cruising in the Caribbean and live aboard a sailboat full time. We'll see if that ever happens, but they say the journey is more important than the destination.

My plan is to spend the next couple of years learning how to sail and banking some money, with a move to the ocean possibly in 2009 or 2010. So, what's the best way to learn? From what I've read, it sounds like a dinghy like a laser or a sunfish would be a great place to start. I've been looking for for a laser, but haven't found a complete one yet. I've also thought about buying something big enough to overnight in on the local lakes. Sort of camping at sea, well, camping at the lake at least. That seems like a slippery slope though as it would most likely entail getting a different vehicle than my Toyota Solara to tow the boat.

I also think this winter I'll take a vacation to either Florida, the Caribbean, or San Diego for an ASA class. A couple places look like they've got a week long liveaboard class that combines ASA 101, 103, and 104 after which you are "Bareboat Certified." Any recommendations of which schools to go to? I had found a couple that looked promising, but would like to hear from people who have done these classes. Are these certifications worthwhile? Do the places in the Bahamas let you bareboat if this is all you've really sailed?

Do any of you have any links to interesting cruising/liveaboard blogs? I've combed through the archives of Bill Dietrich's site which is both fascinating and mundane. I've also read Sleeping With Oars, which is a more about living aboard a boat than cruising. (sorry, had to delete the links 'cause I'm a newb). I'd love to read some stories about people who have made the break and whether they are glad the did or not.

I'd also be interested to hear how people who cut their ties to the corporate world make a living. That's something else I'd need to figure out.

If I do ever get to the point of moving to the ocean, I've got a couple of issues. The first is pets, as I have a dog and a cat. I've read a few interesting threads about pets on board (and part of why I'd like to get something at least worthy of overnighting on Colorado lakes would be to see how the dog would do on a boat). The second is height. I'm 6'5" and it seems like other than Catalinas, most sailboats are pretty short in the headroom department. I've got plenty of time to sort that out, I suppose.

Anyway, that's enough rambling for now (if you made it this far, I'm impressed). Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

- Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Welcome Bob. Sounds like you've got some good ideas going. Just to start, take the lessons, anywhere you can, then getting a little boat you can sail around the lake. You will learn a lot and have a great time without spending a lot of money right off the bat. Take your time to learn all the things you will need to know to follow your dreams.
Good luck,
Best

Vaya con Dios
Old 08-27-2007
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
Welcome Bob, sounds like a good plan. Get a sunfish laser etc. and a tent. may not be able to sleep on the boat but you can camp on shore. IE Blackbeard: went on a trip with them a few years ago aboard the Morning Star. awesome trip! I kept asking myself over and over "whos on vacation here, me or the crew members"? food for thought
while in Bimini a few cruisers pulled in and we swapped stories edit: i'll continue later, Nimfy's calling

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM

Last edited by uspirate; 08-27-2007 at 01:43 AM.
Old 08-27-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Thinking short term, lessons are great. I have taken ASA courses and learned enough to justify the expense. For long term planning, Check out Beth Leonards Voyaging Handbook. It covers quite a few of the topics that you are interested in, boats, gear, finacing, budgeting, getting workers visas, etc. etc. Beth and Evans did what you want to do, quit your office job and cruise.

http://www.amazon.com/Voyagers-Handb...8190288&sr=1-1

http://www.bethandevans.com/
Old 08-27-2007

Poker, huh? That's one of my other "escape-corporate-america" thoughts. I'm reasonably decent, although I can never focus playing online (and the UIGEA has hurt the games) so I'm a loser there. I did make my foray into the WSOP this year and played a $1500 event. No joy, although it was a lot of fun and I didn't feel outclassed and I've been crushing the $1/2 NL games the last few times I've been in Vegas.
Old 08-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd second Beth Leonard's The Voyager's Handbook, which just came out in a second edition. I'd also strongly suggest you take at least a basic ASA 101 course. The information you learn in it will help you understand what the boat is doing and why. While you're at it, get David Seidman's The Complete Sailor, as it is a good basic book for people learning to sail—well-written and with clear drawings.

Learning on a dinghy, preferably a Wanderer, rather than a lateen rigged Sunfish, will teach you a lot more about boat trim and balance than jumping up to a keelboat would. I would recommend that you also try and learn to steer the boat without using the tiller... Doing that will really teach you about balancing the sailplan and how shifting weight can really affect the boat's trim and handling.

The reason I recommend a Wanderer over a Sunfish, even though I learned on Sunfish and love the little boats, is that the Wanderer is rigged with both a headsail and a mainsail, much like most of the larger boats you'll eventually move up to. It can also be fitted out with a spinnakker, if you feel like moving up to one...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-27-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
Unless you are going to car top, I would look at other options besides board boats (for that matter, car topping 130 lbs is not all that easy). Your eventual aim is cruising and my guess is that you want to hang out on your boat as much as sail it, if you know what I mean. I would suggest you also look at some small boats with benches - Chrysler Mutineer, AMF Puffer and lots of others (those are not the only choices, but they are easy to find pictures/descriptions of) that have the sloop rig and are simple to sail single handed.

I am another "Mitty". I sailed off and on with little rentals for years before getting a little car top boat to start with and then quickly made the plunge to get a trailer sailor (small wannabe cruiser).

Welcome aboard!
Old 08-27-2007
Seen Your Mamba

AboardIndigo is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard!

From a newbie's perspective (relative to these old salts):

I had some limited experience on small board boats years ago. Then when I decided to make a serious foray into sailing I went right to training on (Shark 24) and buying a (Catalina C-22) small keelboat.

I found that the keelboat/cruising training included instruction on systems that I would encounter on even a small cruiser (such as engine systems) that might not be included on a basic sailing course. This was in addition to the more directed sailing theory and practice.

I guess that I may miss out on some of the learning experiences that come with spending a lot of time on a small board boat, but that's a trade-off that I was willing to make to get into something that could take some friends and me out comfortably right off the bat.
Old 08-27-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Glad you joined. Hobies and sunfish are fun to sail. THe classes will teach you quite a bit but taking them too far in advance will cause you to forget a lot. Sailing is not hard at all. If you can learn on a controlled waterwy (a lake, for instance), your learning curve will be smaller.

THe dogs are not a real issue, but will be a bit of a pain. We have always had dogs with us, but that is another long thread and other topic.

Hang around. Ask questions. Good choice on the Catalina!!!! (smile)

Fair winds,

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-27-2007

Well, when I saw that the Catalina 400 has 6'11" of head room, my eyes lit up.

What does it mean to be the Catalina 400 techinical editor?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.