Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2007

Dferr is on a distinguished road
Shinnecock inlet

Does anyone have knowledge of the Shinnecock inlet,and a good place to anchor inside for the night. My boat draws 5 foot, is that going to be a problem?

Thanks,
Don
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Don, Shinnecock can be a killer--literally. You very definitely want to enter during slack current in daylight, probably slack after high water because there is frequent and changing shoaling inside, proceed with due caution and check with USCG Shinnecock before you enter to get any updates. Remember the fishing fleet, such as it is, is also going to be transiting at slack and they'll often need some room.

Stakes, more than channel marks, are likely to be your best guide to where the water is passable. Either way--you want the chart, updated.

From the charts it looks like both bays (Tiana and Shinnecock) are designated fish trap areas anyplace they'd be deep enough for you to get out of the channel, good luck on finding an anchorage. I can't say I've ever been tempted to take a sailboat in there.

If no one else has answers for you--try calling USCG Shinnecock. Sometimes they answer the phone, sometimes they'll even say something besides "We're not allowed to talk about that." (Honest, at one time they wouldn't even confirm slack current times "due to liability issues".)
Old 08-28-2007

robfinora is on a distinguished road
Don -

I grew up doing a lot of power-boating through and around Shinnecock and would not reccomend it as a destination for a sailboat. I have a Catalina 30 now and have no desire to go near the canal...but would in a powerboat as its a great place to fish. What is the purpose of the trip? Do you need to lay-over there for the night? If-so, you could get in during slack tide (as mentioned above) and there is a marina located right at the inlet as you come into the bay side. The marina may be your best bet for an extended or overnight stay. Anchoring inside the bay will also work as its very sandy but I would not sleep well on an overnighter - you will do a 180 turn on the hook when the tide changes and chances are you will drag or not reset (that is anywhere near the inlet). Very waving too (boatwaves, wind, currents and Ocean swells). If you are set on staying on the hook then I would reccomend something either west of the Ponquage bridge or just NE of the coast guard station along the bluff.

Make sure your charts are up to date and stay within the marked channels at all times in the bay - sandbars are all over the place (especialy if you plan to head over to the bridge or USCG sta to anchor).

If possible, I would try for a better destination...

Rob