Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Let's see, here is my take:

Best places to live... probably SW Florida. Year round sailing. No cold weather, for the most part. It is shallow, but there are all kinds of islands to visit and the Bahamas, Tortugas, and keys are just around the bend. The last few years as the exception, they really are not that hurricane prone (are you reading this Boat US??). I remember one year it got down to like 35. Massive cold front. Everyone was running around Fort Myers Beach in a sweat suit and flip flops!!

North Carolina can get walloped REALLY hard in a winter storm. All of Kris' Moms side of the family live up there. We used to go there all the time, not as much now. I remember them telling me about one snow strom some years back that was so thick they couldn't open the door to their house. Pretty area though. LOTS of history. Take a drive down the back roads and you can see some awesome old plantations (falling down now). Beautiful old houses that have dissapeared into history.

If you want to stay where you pretty much have no winter, it needs to be about Sarasota south. With the occasional exception, you can sail year round.

On the West side, I have always like La Jolla and San Diego. Really nice docks and pretty area (though dry). It is not realy green.

For me, if I could live anywhere (which I can, incidentally), I think SW Florida offers a bunch... especially around Charlote Harbor. It is pretty nice sailing. You just need a boat with less than 6' draft, with under 5' preferable. Coutless dolphins, sharks, bald eagles, great fishing (unless you suck like me), nature habitats and the Tortugas are close. Bring your check book and your retirement fund and you might be able to afford a 1950 ranch style house you can put your boat behind!!

- CD

PS Did I mention the Tortugas were close??

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
CD,
What's the real estate market doing down there? My wife and I (kids too) spent ten days on Captiva, and fricking loved it. I didn't sail, but I could definitely live there. Getting out of the channel from Captiva looked a little freaky depth-wise...
Old 08-29-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Hey CD, what about the Tortugas? But, I would have to agree about SW Florida. Pretty much open water sailing, but no lack of places to go. Don't know what winter is like in NC, personally, but I sure do like the area. And it's definitely cheaper than Florida, though the Panhandle didn't seem as bad as the rest of it.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 08-29-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
SH,

It is very nice, but shallow. You have to stay in the channel, and even then it is touch and go. You measure your water depth in inches, not feet!!!

As far as the real estate - expensive. Captiva, N Captiva and Sanibel are pretty high. Pretty area though. Lots of folks with money down there. There is a large German and European population.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-29-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
I have been in Raleigh, NC for about 15 years and in that time there has been one hurricane that made it this far inland (Fran - 96 - about $20,000 damage to my house), 3 snow storms of over a foot and probably 4 or 5 other Winter storms that shut Raleigh down for a day or so. I was unlucky with regard to Fran; most people only had minor damage this far inland. Further east they do get hurricanes more often but the last few years have been atypical. But there are far less Winter storms of any consequence (well, Noreasters do some coastal damage). If you absolutely detest Winter, then don't come here because we do have seasons (Fall and Spring are spectacular). But winter isn't unduly long and generally has several mild days. No sugar coating, but it is a nice place to live.
Old 08-29-2007
Not quite Senior Member

Waymar83 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Waymar83
With global warming you could consider Newfounland

Buy now.....you can get a better deal...

Waymar - Jeanneau, Attalia
Old 08-29-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waymar83 View Post
With global warming you could consider Newfounland

Buy now.....you can get a better deal...
Yes see Antarctica before it melts
Old 08-29-2007
Not quite Senior Member

Waymar83 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Waymar83
I know you meant the arctic...

Still lots of oceanfront "cottages" for sale. Free air-conditioning... docking nearby....

Waymar - Jeanneau, Attalia
Old 08-29-2007
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
i grew up in norfolk and learned to sail on the Elizabeth and Lafayette rivers.
as previously stated, there tends to be significant commercial and US Navy traffic in Hampton Roads harbor.
the up side of berthing in norfolk, portsmouth hampton and newport snooze..err news, have done away w/ personal property taxes on boats.
if you move up the bay a bit, you have the york river, mobjack bay, then the piankatank (deltaville as an option), then the rappahanock river.
i love sailing on the bay, yet the conditions can be brisk december through february. i have also seen 70 degree days in january..so you can sail year round if you are a hearty soul.
be prepared for some brutal weather in july and august.

Sam
Sanctuary, Sabre 30 mkIII
Old 08-29-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Sam...
the up side of berthing in norfolk, portsmouth hampton and newport snooze..err news, have done away w/ personal property taxes on boats.

Actually it was too good to last. I think only hampton and NN are left and they are talking about re-instating.