Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Mason Dixon Line

Looking to our future, I've always wanted to be sailing in an area where I could sail year round. I would like that to be somewhere on the East Coat.

What is the general dividing line between year round sailing and those that annually are on the hard for the winter?

My idea was to be on the Chesapeake around Norfolk. Deep enough for year round sailing and far enough North to be out of the major hurricane alley.

Bear in mind, I am just thinking right now. We have no immediate plans for moving anytime soon.
Thanks.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2007
Siren 17

danjarch will become famous soon enough
I feel that much above the Georgia border is artic waste land, but thats just me.
!! WARNING !! The above information is to be used by intelligent people only. If you are Stupid, could be considered a moron, or otherwise. You are instructed to disregard this information and seek the help of a licensed and bonded professional.
Old 08-28-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
I am in NC. You will get days warm enough from time to time during the winter and it is rare to have more than a couple of weeks without a somewhat nice day (might only be 50s for the nice day in the dead of winter). This is the furthest north you will find gators, who don't care much for harsh winters either.
Old 08-28-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
TJK1...
Norfolk and the Lower Chesapeake has a nice long sailing season...but I wouldn't call it "year round" as it really is not too much fun 11/1-3/1 unless you enjoy being really cold and wet without actually freezing!
North Carolina is much the same but a tad milder. The problem with SC and GA is that the sailing grounds pretty much suck as does the east coast of FL...but at least from there you can hop over to the Bahamas.
I like NC due to the vast cruising grounds and the best beaches on the east coast and the generally mild weather and relative safety from hurricanes. The Chesapeake and an equally impressive cruising ground is only 2 days away so we really have a nice array of cruising choices here and a good long season...if not year round. (Prices are a lot better than further north too!)
Old 08-28-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
After almost three months in NC, I'd have to second cam's post. Almost anywhere you are on the Pamlico/Ablemarle Sound area you have good sailing areas and lots of different overnight cruises. I like Oriental, because with the width of the Nuese, once you're out of the short channel, you can pretty much sail in any direction the wind is blowing.

I also thought the north end of Hilton Head Island, the Port Royal Sound, was a nice place, though sailhog tells me tide and current can be a real factor there.

Eastern Florida, till you get down to Biscayne Bay, is pretty much offshore sailing. The Panhandle of Florida has some decent areas around Pensacola and Destin.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-28-2007

Sounds like everybodie's voting for NC.
Thanks to all.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 08-28-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
TJK, my brother has been looking in that area too. He is leaning towards Virginia Beach around the Lynnhaven inlet. Not too hot, not too humid (like he says NC is). And you can sail year round, although it is a bit colder. Don't quote me on that last part though, I don't live there.

Vaya con Dios
Old 08-28-2007

Why do you keep changing your avatar?
Its confusing me, I have a hard enough time as it is.
I actually thought you were related to John at one point.
How is your nose?

Last edited by sailortjk1; 08-28-2007 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-28-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Because, as it says, I have nothing better to do! I am very fickle. How many times have I said I am selling my boat, then two days later, I am not selling it? Once I get a good shot of the boat sailing, I won't change it, unless I sell the boat....The nose is still a little sore, thanks for the rep on that. I think I must have cracked it.

Vaya con Dios
Old 08-28-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
What'd I miss... who'd you hit with your nose????
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfriend View Post
Because, as it says, I have nothing better to do! I am very fickle. How many times have I said I am selling my boat, then two days later, I am not selling it? Once I get a good shot of the boat sailing, I won't change it, unless I sell the boat....The nose is still a little sore, thanks for the rep on that. I think I must have cracked it.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.