Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007

PilotMike is on a distinguished road
Water Survival Training

I just completed Day 2 of a 3 day water survival course at Survival Systems in Groton, CT (survivalsystemsinc.com) and I have to say this is some of the BEST training I have ever received hands down. I highly recommend anyone sailing offshore to complete this training.

The course that I'm in is actually an aviation course for aircrew. Courses are also offered for mariners. A good portion of our time is spent getting "dunked" in the pool in the ditching simulator. We then learn how to safely egress from odd angles, inverted (capsized) in the dark, holding your breath, or with an emergency air supply. We also learn how to correctly deploy and utilize a life raft, PFDs, signaling devices and how to stay attached to your crew in the water. Also we get to ride the STROP sling and stokes basket, should a helo rescue be required. All while wearing a flight suit and helmet, which is probably lighter than a warm base layer and foul weather gear. Folks, you need some strong arms to pull yourself to the surface when you're soaking wet.

Tomorrow I go to sea with my classmates and get to don an immersion suit and use the techniques learned in the pool in the ocean. Oh, they do this training year round, rain sleet or snow. (I figured I'd write this now in case I get eaten.)

I know this hobby of ours isn't inexpensive and we will go to great lengths to save five bucks on some SS snapshackles, then spend $2,000 on a new grill, but for those of you who are like me (former medic) and like to prepare for the worst and hope for the best I offer the following:

1. This training should be mandatory for anyone contemplating spending any time on the open ocean. It's easy to think, "Oh, if I get run down by a tanker ship or swamped by a rogue wave, I'll be ok because I have a raft and an EPIRB." Well, yeah, sort of. But none of that is going to be of any use to you if you can't properly use the equipment.

2. Know every inch of your boat by feel and where the exits are. Murphy's Law dictates that when your boat is capsized, it will be while you are sound asleep in your sleeping bag in a bunk far from a hatch, at night, in cold water. I'm thinking of equiping my boat (when I finally find her) with some sort of quick release mechanism on the hatches, since it usually takes a little work to get them to open completely.

3. I will also consider carrying an emergency air supply (like a scuba type "Spare Air") on my person when on deck in foul weather (in case I capsize and am caught in the rigging) and near the berth in case the boat is capsized while off watch. Also consider marking the exits with glow in the dark tape or equipping your boat with some sort of emergency lighting.

4. A low volume scuba mask makes underwater egress so much easier (provided you have time to put it on.) It also makes fighting a fire easier since you can actually see your target clearly, so hang one near your galley extinguisher (galleys are usually a good source of fires and are usually centrally located and also near the ship's electrical panel.)

5. It goes without saying, but wear your PFD when on deck. Wet clothes are heavy.

6. Invest in a GPS equipped 406/121.5 EPIRB for the boat and Personal Locating Beacon for each crew member. You don't want to spend 117 days at sea in a raft.

Disclainer: These are just my opinions and as with all of my opinions, you get what you pay for.

For further reading take a look at Doug Ritter's website: equippedtosurvive.com.

Sail safely,

Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
equippedtosurvive is a great site... don't get scuba gear unless you've been trained in its use...

Knowing your boat is just common sense... as is carrying a rigging knife whenever you're aboard a boat at sea. Even if you have a scuba emergency bottle, it doesn't help you if you're caught in the rigging with no knife to cut yourself free.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-31-2007
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
As a fellow aviator and have gone through numerous survival courses, I couldn't agree more. If you have never been "dunked", you don't want the first time in rough seas. It is frightening even in a training scenario.
I just bought a new Mustang PFD and what is a girl to do but jump into the water with it to see how it inflates. While I was in the water, we practice MOB drill by hauling me up onto the boat. Not an easy task for the crew without the right equipment on-board to accomplish this task. We found that the sugar-scoop transom was the easiest to get me on-board vs over the side rails. Also the D-ring on the PFD was easy to grab with a boat hook and also for me to tie a line if someone threw a line.
Raft ingress are difficult at best, even with the ladders that most manufactures put on these rafts. If one gets thrown from the boat or has to egress from a upside boat the adrenaline rush from the initial shock, will sap out all the energy from ones body when it comes to deploying the raft or ingress into it. Also, with wet cloths and a cold sea will further deplete body energy reserves. Hypothermia is a killer.
Bottom line, every piece of equipment should be tested and trained on by every individual that is on the boat, especially if bluewater cruising.
Old 08-31-2007

cockeyedbob is on a distinguished road
ah ... did that many years ago with Uncle Sam's Air Force, but was in the nice warm Gulf of Mexico ...

Dropped off to float all alone, nothing in sight but water ... plenty of time to think but alas me smokes were all wet ... solitude, an interesting experience indeed.

Later the chopper plucked me from the drink only to redeposit me to wait for the pickup boat.