Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2007
'72 Pearson 36

SVDistantStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
The boat sank since the cockpit scuppers are clogged and dont let it drain. Its been raining for the last few days and i just hadn't had the chance to get out there and run the pump.

I think we can get it floating with the airbeds and then move it into shalower water.

Pingpong balls would come out of it in a hurry, both side windows are broken out. This was my project boat that i havent had the money to haul out and bring home yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2007
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
While scuba diving a local lake a few years ago we moved a sunken Ford van by filling a bunch of tire inner tubes inside it. They work pretty well because you can squeeze them into all kinds of small places. You can get a bunch of them for real cheap. We moved it as a practical joke to other divers who frequented the area. Some of those guy's are probably still looking for it.

Sorry to hear about the bad luck.

I'd like to add a safety caution. It was not a safe thing we did and I would never move that van again. It was very unstable and dangerous. Deflating / popping those tubes scared the $#!% out of us. You're just going straight up. I wouldn't mind that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White

Last edited by retclt; 09-03-2007 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Adding a caution statement.
Old 09-03-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait View Post
I saw an episode of mythbusters where they did it with pingpong balls. It took alot of balls.
Thatís a real thing and it was done to raise a cattle boat in the Far East somewhere but the location escapes me just now. It was also tried unsuccessfully during a salvage attempt on the Andrea Doria sunk off RI after a collision with the Stockholm. They used small balls that were just a little bigger then a Ping-Pong ball and pumped them down into the ships. They didnít stay in the Andrea Doria and the sea was covered for miles with the balls after the attempt.
All the best,
Robert Gainer
Old 09-03-2007
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
Have you seen the price of ping pong balls?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White
Old 09-03-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by retclt View Post
Have you seen the price of ping pong balls?
I bet you get a good discount if you buy 7,000,000,000 at a time. Actually, I donít think they used Ping-Pong balls but instead made hollow spheres on site to pump into the ships.
All the best,
Robert Gainer
Old 09-03-2007

Look at this site, www.iusmentis.com/patents/priorart/donaldduck/ it has some background on the Ping-Pong ball salvage method.
All the best,
Robert Gainer
Old 09-03-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
I'd go with floatation in the cabin, which should pull it up most of the way. Air mattresses, inner tubes, used polythene barrels (from a photo processor or bulk food importer--they both throw them away) would do. Remember that the air will expand in volume as the boat rises--so your "balloons" will burst unless they can also double in size or vent. If you use air mattresses or inner tubes, only inflate them half?way.

If you can get it off the bottom and rig a bridle around it, so you can put floats on either side and secure them low down, then you may be able to float it up the rest of the wayto the point where you can open the drains/seacocks and get it dewatered signficantly by itself.

Home Depot and tool rental stores all rent "trash pumps" that can get the rest out, once you beach the boat.

Just remember-things can and will shift unexpectedly, this can be dangerous. If you can find a local vendor who uses a small crane to move large moorings--they may be able to lift it all the way up and out, if your diver friends can rig the slings on it properly. Might be worth the expense to just get it done that way, without risking anyone while it is in motion.
Old 09-03-2007
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
there is a formula

to figure out how much floatation (for example)a barrel would have.. is it something like the gallons it holds? The weight of a gal of water is about 9 lbs. so a 30 gal barrel would displace 30 gals of water X 9? = 270 lbs? I'm sure I'm wrong but it seems logical enough. How about kids beach balls? bigger then pingpong for sure. This time of the yr most beach stuff is on sale already. I'm guessing it won't take allot of floatation to get her off the bottom and towed into shore. Could it be considered lucky its only in 15ft or water?

Good luck!
Old 09-03-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Internally lifting the boat is presuming upon a strong deck to hull joint on a boat already scheduled for refurbishment. It may be just the ticket for raising the deck alone.(g)
Old 09-03-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
About 64.1# per cubic foot for seawater, and displacement is usually figured by volume, not gallons. About 8.5# per gallon.

Ping pong balls, like eggs, are fairly incompressible. Beach balls compress and expand and blow out, and have weak valves in them. Very different.

Blowing the deck off...I guess that depends on how lightly the boat is built and how much is rotted out. I'd expect typical bulkheads and deck joints to hold for the short time they'd need to.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.