Nomads and other small boats and asymetric spinnakers. - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
This whole phenomenon of bowsprits and asymestric spinnakers evolved during my 30 year absence from sailing. During that time, skiffs, foilers, asyms, "sport boats," high-tech sails and all sorts of innovations have popped up.
I find it easier just to ignore them. They'll all go the way of Loran C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2007

Blue Eagle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Blue Eagle
It looks as though the nomad is very similar to the laser SB3 http://www.lasersailing.com/disp/uk/...tal-statistics, and its smaller cousin, the Laser 2000.

I've sailed the L2K quite a bit, and the gennaker (as they call it) makes an enormous difference in conditions ranging from a beam reach to a run. The L2K has a waterline length of about 14'6" and in a 15 - 20 knot breeze I needed three adults hiking on the rail to keep it flat as we hit what must have been early-mid teens on the plane.

The gennakers make a hell of a lot of difference, and turn a nicely balanced and responsive boat into a rocket ship!

plus... that Nomad is very cheap compared to the laser - go for it!

BE
Old 09-07-2007
Poltergeist

poltergeist is on a distinguished road
Kananumpua said ...

Sorry to get of subject, I just love sailing those boats.>

Actually, I think you're right on subject. Care to take a minute to speak to Bob's list of questions and thoughts, pasted below? ...

< Benefits:
-- increases sail area on downwind headings w/out overpowering a small boat on windward headings, as a genoa might.
-- easier to manage than a symmetrical chute, esp with no crew or inexperienced crew.
-- good training for bigger boats.
-- sprit gives the sail clearance from the main & makes the standing rigging footprint longer.
-- it's cool & makes sailing sexy, which isn't a bad thing.

Doubts:
-- big headsail on a bow sprit combined with long skinny CB and squarish hull: isn't that a recipe for weather helm?
-- really obstructs forward vision on a short boat. Look at some of the Nomad photos. (& while you are at it, what's with the foot of the main? No boltrope? Sloppy.)
-- boat already has a furling jib. Why not upgrade that to a foil furler and just use a genoa for variable headsail size? Easier.
-- sprit adds complexity, mechanical stresses, and a big ramming spike.
-- adds to cost. $15k for a low-performance runabout ain't peanuts. You could buy a helluva late-model J-boat for that.>

Kurt
Old 09-07-2007
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
A review

Sailing Magazine's take on the Nomad.
http://sailingmagazine.net/boattest_vangard-nomad.html

Not the most cogent review I've ever seen. How is the boat for singlehanding? Does it beat adequately? What's the effect of raising the daggerboard/skeg/keel? Didja try to flip it, just for yuks? How does it handle chop? Is there any point to a jib on this boat? Does it slew horribly on hard jibes? I'd wish for more sailing information in a magazine allegedly for sailors. If I wanted loving details on stowage, I'd read Pontoon Boater Monthly.
Old 08-05-2008

NomadTom is on a distinguished road
My Nomad Review

Here's my unprofessional take on the Nomad.

I have owned one for nearly four years. I don't go sailing as often as I'd like, but when I do, I don't want complications as I'm usually sailing solo.
I find the Nomad to be perfect for my situation. I was out today in 10-15 kts of wind on Lake Washington. I thought I'd only use the main for starters as I didn't want to be overpowered. While beating north the boat handled very well. It tracks beautifully with little to no weather helm. As far as how it handles waves and chop, well, it slaps some of the waves, depending on the frequency and steepness of the boat that made them. It doesn't appear to be slowed down by them. It's a very dry boat. Only occasional bow spray, but on a day like today, the spray was welcome.

After twenty minutes of main only, I unfurled the jib and noticed an immediate increase in boat speed. The wind was strong enough that I had to luff the main to keep from burying the rail. I don't want to go over in this boat as I would not be able to right it. It will turtle fast, from what I've heard, but so far, I've not done that. There are sail floats available to keep it from turtling. I don't have them.

Since I mainly solo, I haven't flown the asym chute, yet. I plan on playing with the asym, soon. Right now, I just enjoy getting out on the lake and practicing the fundamentals of sailing. It's pure sailing enjoyment.

I now keep the boat at home on it's trailer. I had been storing it at a marina with a floating dock. But getting the Nomad (625 lbs. plus) up on the dock and pushing it in the water were back breakers for me. One plus about having it at the marina, was that it was rigged and ready to go. Now that I trailer it, I am spending a bit more time rigging it, but finding that I really don't mind it, that much. It's so much easier to launch/retrieve from the trailer. No more back stress.

Sailing solo is quite easy, though your hands are full, one hand on the main sheet, one on the tiller. Being able to douse/furl the jib with the pull of a line is worth the price of admission. I usually sail into and out of the launch area under just the jib. If I had crew with me, I'd probably raise the main at the launch dock and sail out with both sails flying. But single handling this boat, and hauling the main up the mast is a little bit of work.

I do have a 2.5 hp outboard but rarely bring it along. The Nomad does "sit down" in the stern. This was brought up in another review I read a while back. It's much better to sit as far forward as possible to lift the transom out of the water. Not having the 38lb. motor hanging on the stern is preferable. Side note; Lake Washington in the summer is notorious for squirrelly winds. Many times I've been becalmed and just had to wait it out for a puff to bring me home. That's when it would be nice to have brought the motor along.

Having an eight foot beam adds a lot of stability to the Nomad. But if you do go over, the boat is just as stable when it turtles. Vanguard's Owners Manual states that it takes about 450 lbs. of combined crew weight to right it. I don't plan on going over, but if it happens, I'd be in need of help, for sure.

I can happily say that I'm VERY satisfied with the Nomad. It's a fast boat that goes well in very light air and is really chomping at the bit for the use of the asym chute. It will plane, I found out. On a broad reach, main and jib only, I was planing and creating these big rollers in my wake!

Any other questions you may have about the Nomad please feel free to ask. I just found out that production of the Nomad has been discontinued. LaserPerformance is the new company that Vanguard has teamed up with. I've seen many Nomads listed for sale, most of them seem to have been sailed very little. I would think this is because it was a little more boat than most people wanted. The Nomad is no toy, it's a real performer and has a lot of nice features.

Tom

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.