SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Beware Annapolis YS... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/36749-beware-annapolis-ys.html)

PalmettoSailor 09-11-2007 11:38 AM

Beware Annapolis YS...

...they might sell your boat out from under you. :D

My wife and I went up to Annapolis last weekend to daydream about moving to a bigger boat. We were minding our own business and hardly drooling on the decks of boats we visited at all. Then with no provocation what-so-ever, the broker said he had someone looking for a boat like ours. How do you like that? The nerve of the guy? :p

Ya' sure I think, he's throwing chum, so I'll bite and make an offer on the boat I'm daydreaming about, but have no clue how I'd pay for. However, it seems he wasn't bluffing, as I got a call Sunday from a dockmate that there was someone looking over my boat. Today, I get a call from the broker with an offer, pretty close to my "magic number". I countered, and the jury is out so unless they call my bluff, or there is some unexpected nasty-ness from the survey, that guy sold my deck right out from underneath me. Ruthless!!

So, I guess I'm seriously shopping for something in the 34-36 foot range now.

ReverendMike 09-11-2007 11:47 AM

I may have misread your post, but if you're looking at new (to you) boats with a broker, that broker might consider it part of his job to help you sell the old one in order to purchase the new one. What did I miss?

Jeff_H 09-11-2007 01:13 PM

I have been involved in a number of deals, some fairly complicated, with Annapolis Yacht Sales and they are really a very great bunch to work with. I can only assume that your post was a bit tongue in cheek since selling a boat in this market anywhere near your 'magic number' is a bit of a miracle.

Good luck and good hunting....
Jeff

eryka 09-11-2007 02:37 PM

I read the icons and also took this as tongue-in-cheek. Best wishes on the boat search!

ReverendMike 09-11-2007 02:45 PM

Doh! Can someone help me get this hook out of my mouth? It's right next to the foot....

Good hunting

sailingdog 09-11-2007 03:09 PM

Mike-

Just use a bit of ketchup...and those feet should taste just fine... ;)

eryka 09-11-2007 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReverendMike (Post 191155)
Doh! Can someone help me get this hook out of my mouth? It's right next to the foot....

Good hunting

i hate it when that happens:o

that's the trouble with emails, so hard to catch the tone ...

ReverendMike 09-11-2007 03:20 PM

Thanks guys, but the worst part is that the stupid smilies were there all along.... :o

(and I prefer BBQ sauce for my toes :D )

PalmettoSailor 09-11-2007 05:06 PM

Sorry I got some of you guys -- the tounge was firmly planted in cheek when I posted that.

The upshot is I sold my boat without really meaning to/trying. I just happened to run into a broker from AYS that had a buyer looking for a boat like mine. The boat was never listed -- probably the easiest money this broker ever made, but you can't argue with success.

SOooo, the search begins in earnest. I'm somewhat at a loss as to wheter to try to buy one quick, so I don't miss the fall sailing or take the winter to see what comes on the market.

sailingdog 09-11-2007 05:20 PM

Good luck on the search MLS.... :D Buying one before the winter sets in might make more sense, since it gives you the additional leverage of the winter storage costs to use against the buyer. Also, it would give you a chance to outfit the boat with some repairs/modifications before next season.