Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Beware Annapolis YS...

...they might sell your boat out from under you.

My wife and I went up to Annapolis last weekend to daydream about moving to a bigger boat. We were minding our own business and hardly drooling on the decks of boats we visited at all. Then with no provocation what-so-ever, the broker said he had someone looking for a boat like ours. How do you like that? The nerve of the guy?

Ya' sure I think, he's throwing chum, so I'll bite and make an offer on the boat I'm daydreaming about, but have no clue how I'd pay for. However, it seems he wasn't bluffing, as I got a call Sunday from a dockmate that there was someone looking over my boat. Today, I get a call from the broker with an offer, pretty close to my "magic number". I countered, and the jury is out so unless they call my bluff, or there is some unexpected nasty-ness from the survey, that guy sold my deck right out from underneath me. Ruthless!!

So, I guess I'm seriously shopping for something in the 34-36 foot range now.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2007
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
I may have misread your post, but if you're looking at new (to you) boats with a broker, that broker might consider it part of his job to help you sell the old one in order to purchase the new one. What did I miss?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)
Old 09-11-2007

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I have been involved in a number of deals, some fairly complicated, with Annapolis Yacht Sales and they are really a very great bunch to work with. I can only assume that your post was a bit tongue in cheek since selling a boat in this market anywhere near your 'magic number' is a bit of a miracle.

Good luck and good hunting....
Jeff
Old 09-11-2007
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
I read the icons and also took this as tongue-in-cheek. Best wishes on the boat search!
Old 09-11-2007
Mostly Harmless

Doh! Can someone help me get this hook out of my mouth? It's right next to the foot....

Good hunting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)
Old 09-11-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Mike-

Just use a bit of ketchup...and those feet should taste just fine...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-11-2007
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverendMike View Post
Doh! Can someone help me get this hook out of my mouth? It's right next to the foot....

Good hunting
i hate it when that happens

that's the trouble with emails, so hard to catch the tone ...
Old 09-11-2007
Mostly Harmless

Thanks guys, but the worst part is that the stupid smilies were there all along....

(and I prefer BBQ sauce for my toes )

Old 09-11-2007

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Sorry I got some of you guys -- the tounge was firmly planted in cheek when I posted that.

The upshot is I sold my boat without really meaning to/trying. I just happened to run into a broker from AYS that had a buyer looking for a boat like mine. The boat was never listed -- probably the easiest money this broker ever made, but you can't argue with success.

SOooo, the search begins in earnest. I'm somewhat at a loss as to wheter to try to buy one quick, so I don't miss the fall sailing or take the winter to see what comes on the market.
Old 09-11-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Good luck on the search MLS.... Buying one before the winter sets in might make more sense, since it gives you the additional leverage of the winter storage costs to use against the buyer. Also, it would give you a chance to outfit the boat with some repairs/modifications before next season.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.