SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Boat Names

58K views 359 replies 181 participants last post by  Stiche 
#1 ·
I am just full of questions today.... :eek:

I have always wondered how people come up with the names of the boats. Some are fairly easy to figure out others not so much. Is there a naming etiquette that should be followed?

If you have a boat how did you come up with her name?

#264 ·
Boat naming convention

We've owned two boats that were named by the previous owners. The first is "All in fun" owned by an accountant???? then the houseboat, previously owned by a nice older couple, appropriately named "the Luv Tub"...
I rest my case! There's no sign of a naming convention.

#268 ·
I bought our boat on ebay. It was in SanFrancisco Bay had pink sail ties and was named "Sea Pony". After a 5000 mile trip to bring her back to the Gulf Coast we decided that the name was too cute. We stayed with the equine theme and named our 37 year old Cal25 "Warhorse". That is the name of the FOB that I was on for most of my year in Iraq, and we already had T-shirts with the name. We also replaced the pink sail ties.

#269 ·
If you wanted an equine name... why didn't you go with Seabiscuit. :)

#272 · (Edited)
Solo- Greatest climbing video of all time, makes it look too easy though for those that haven't been there (I haven't done it, my son did, I think it took 4-5 days). Thanks, I hadn't watched that in a while.

I don't like boat names that relate to money, or jobs. There is a boat (power) in the marina that I have to look at, hate it. " A Loan Again"

John

#273 ·
I don't like boat names that relate to money, or jobs. There is a boat (power) in the marina that I have to look at, hate it. " A Loan Again"

John
Agreed - though I thought "The Office" was a clever name for a 50-something-foot coastal cruiser.

... gives the phrase "I'll be in The Office all this week!" an entirely different meaning. ;)

Cameron

#275 · (Edited)
Mc51,
Two things, congratulations on your success in finding a boat (as a newb, I'm really envious, though our time will arrive). Second, thank you for your service. My stepson and his wife, both career NCOs, did 15-month tours there. I think I know what you gave up during your tour - God bless!
I think I am wanting a trailer sailor (central Arkansas - lots of lakes, etc.) and the name of the mouse from C.S. Lewis' Voyage of the Dawntreader book came to mind, Reepicheep. I discounted Dawntreader because there appear to be a bunch of them and the one I know of has been tied to a marina so long that it has stuff growing on it. :(

#278 ·
Couldn't deal with reading all the preceeding posts so if this has already been said, please forgive me! SUPER-IMPORTANT in picking a boat name is "understandability"! Before making it official, try saying it over a VHF radio to someone else. If it is something cute such as many I read here, and it can't be quickly understood, forget it! Picture yourself in an emergency situation trying to make the Coast Guard understand who you are. A name like "Sarah Jane" is easy to understand. Then really think about the name you are considering. Is it easy to underswtand, too - or, if not, will you really have an extra 10 or 15 minutes to try to get some Coastie or other boater to understand what in the world you are saying as your boat sinks under you???? (Matters are even worse in foreign ports.)
BTW - we are La Nostra. Name came with the boat, but in Italian roughly means "ours", in an all-encompassing way .... which is certainly applicable as she is all I really own free and clear in this world!

#279 · (Edited)
Couldn't deal with reading all the preceeding posts so if this has already been said, please forgive me! SUPER-IMPORTANT in picking a boat name is "understandability"! Before making it official, try saying it over a VHF radio to someone else. If it is something cute such as many I read here, and it can't be quickly understood, forget it! Picture yourself in an emergency situation trying to make the Coast Guard understand who you are. A name like "Sarah Jane" is easy to understand. Then really think about the name you are considering. Is it easy to underswtand, too - or, if not, will you really have an extra 10 or 15 minutes to try to get some Coastie or other boater to understand what in the world you are saying as your boat sinks under you???? (Matters are even worse in foreign ports.)
That's a good point, Harry. :)

It also helps if the name is female - the Coast Guard might come quicker if they think that somewhere out there there's a damsel in distress.

"Come quick! Irene's in trouble!!" - It worked for us! :D

#282 ·
Myfirst boat - a J24, had only a fragment of the vinyl name left on the hull and that was ROJO. I renamed it RESERVOIR DOG because it was on a reservoir and it wasn't a dog.

The second boat was a C&C 30 and I don't think it was named. I had just finished reading George Orwell's 1984 and decided to call the boat BELLYFEEL, which meant a good feeling in your belly. That wasn't understood by more than a few people who had also read the book back in high school or college. Bad name but I enjoyed people's reaction to it.

#284 ·
You have a boat???

#292 ·
Wow, tough question, we named one boat after our puppy, cause he loved to sail, others came named. This last boat, we asked the exowner why the name, he said when he was in college, he was a bartender at night. His girlfriend then, now wife, loved to dance. When the bar closed, she would put a dime in machine, and always played the same song, so therefor they named the boat after their favorite song.
Now Zoo on the oehr hand, What would you call a boat with 5 kids, 2 dogs and a screaming husband, you got it. ZOO!!!!

#293 ·
When I bought my Catalina 42 last year I liked Good Sheet (you have to say it with a latino accent),but discounted that one after a bit of reflection although I still like the name.
I knew an oral surgeon who had a boat named Wisdom which I thought was clever. I'm a surgeon and thought the name Knotty Buoy would apply in my case. I liked the triple entendre. I know the name is not terribly romantic but most people that know me think it fits, although they would say I'm more naughty than knotty or nauti.:rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.