SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Boat Names

58K views 359 replies 181 participants last post by  Stiche 
#1 ·
I am just full of questions today.... :eek:

I have always wondered how people come up with the names of the boats. Some are fairly easy to figure out others not so much. Is there a naming etiquette that should be followed?

If you have a boat how did you come up with her name?

#13 ·
Me too... gave her a nickname, and put it on the boat too.

#9 ·
My boat has yet to be named. I'm working on it.

I like the story I read years ago about the Maxi Racer on SF bay named FUJIMO. If I remember correctly . . . probably don't due to the rum again . . . the owners wife was giving him a hard time about the boat so he named it for her. "F you Jane I'm moving out"

#10 ·
The Other Woman

I had been struggling to come up with the right name for mine for a few months. Then it happened...I was spending so much time on the boat that my better half began referring to her as the other woman. My '76 Catalina 27 has been formally renamed...complete with ceremonies....she will be forever known as The Other Woman.

#11 ·
Also came with the boat.. As far as we can tell, our boat has always been called "Irene".

When we bought it, both the wife and I had full intentions of changing it ASAP (one suggestion was "Kelpie" - but I'll leave others to speculate why we didn't pick that :cool: ), however during a cruise with a bunch of others from the club, we were tied up to a jetty over night in 40-knot winds (being too uncomfortable on board, we were staying in the nearby caravan park at the time) and the tide rose trapping the gunwale under the jetty.

The next morning, one of the other club members noticed when he went out to relive himself and raced around on the jetty to wake everyone else up yelling "Irene's in trouble!!"... no major damage done, but thereafter we decided to keep the name. It just sounds better than say "Sailingdog's in trouble!! - I mean, who cares?". :) :D :D

--Cameron

#15 ·
My boat came with the name Anne Marie. Now I dated a Anne Marie, great body but what a bi..... Anyway, a girl friend suggested Wind Angel, I didn't like it. Then she came up with Ark Angel, which was ok. I was going to use the name.
I was recently going through some things and I came upon an old book I had. I always liked the book. So the name of my boat is ( and I had the name printed already so I am not changing it ) is Scheherazade.

#17 ·
My wife is from "Wild Rose" WI. She tells this story that since she left, they just call the town "Rose". The boat got the name "Wild" since she didn't want me to call it "Katie". It's a racing boat that gives you a good Wild ride when it pipes up a bit.

The next boat is already named too. Our next boat will be purchased sometime in the next 2 years. It will be something in the 40' range. Our favorite at this time is a Tayana 42. I would like Katie to look at a Valiant 40. She has yet to see one. We will be leaving WI on a LONG cruise in about 2011. Not any real defined plans. We'll go as the wind blows us as long as we are having a good time. To our non sailing friends it is kind of mystical to them why we would do that. We both like Van Morrisons music, of course not many don't. We decided to call the boat "Mystic" When we go below deck we will be going "Into the Mystic".

Any guess to the name of the dinghy?

Katie is of Danish and Hungarian decent. A little gypsie blood in her. The dinghy will be "Gypsy Soul". Of course I will be rocking that often. Her Gypsy soul, not the dinghy. :cool:

Jeff

#19 ·
How very Zen

Several years ago someone gave my wife one of those calendars with a Zen saying for each day of the year. My wife tore them off at the end of the day and gave them to me. I kept several because I like the saying, but one in particular really stuck with me. It went "Moment after moment, completely devote yourself to listening to your inner voice." It was attributed to some guy named Shunryu Suzuki, whom I had never heard of. I saved that one because I thought to myself, wow, Inner Voice will make a great name for my next boat.

Thus, several years later, my Pearson 33-2 has that name. And only then did I google Suzuki. Quite a guy. Japanese Zen master who started the first zen school in America back in the '60's among other things.

Prior name of the boat was Hot Number. That didn't suit me one bit. Inner Voice fits me and the boat perfectly. :cool:

#72 ·
Several years ago someone gave my wife one of those calendars with a Zen saying for each day of the year. My wife tore them off at the end of the day and gave them to me. I kept several because I like the saying, but one in particular really stuck with me. It went "Moment after moment, completely devote yourself to listening to your inner voice." It was attributed to some guy named Shunryu Suzuki, whom I had never heard of. I saved that one because I thought to myself, wow, Inner Voice will make a great name for my next boat.

Thus, several years later, my Pearson 33-2 has that name. And only then did I google Suzuki. Quite a guy. Japanese Zen master who started the first zen school in America back in the '60's among other things.

Prior name of the boat was Hot Number. That didn't suit me one bit. Inner Voice fits me and the boat perfectly. :cool:
"Hot Number" is a tough one to live up to (although I'm sure she carried it well).

#33 ·
Here's the smoke and mirrors... LINK

We are struggling with the idea of renaming our new (to us) Pearson 36-2. Not only can we not decide on the new name, I am 'a bit superstitious' and want to make sure we do it right when the time (and the name) comes. Any details would be most helpful.

#27 ·
I told my daughter Courney, that if I had thought of Scheherazade first, her name would have been ......

#30 ·
We are struggling with the idea of renaming our new (to us) Pearson 36-2. Not only can we not decide on the new name, I am 'a bit superstitious' and want to make sure we do it right when the time (and the name) comes. Any details would be most helpful.
Forget all those well-known rituals and ceremonies SD and others will propose - that's all just meaningless smoke and mirrors.

Think of a name you and your first mate truely love (unless it's documented - don't borrow the name from others - it's your friggin boat). Then use Easy-Off oven cleaner to remove the old name - and all evil spirits will be renounced in the caustic soup.

#31 ·
I saw a boat name the other day that made me chuckle. The boat was called Never Again III.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.